Has anyone here shown their cat in Agility?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking for suggestions. Rain is now 20 weeks old and seems to show an aptitude for Cat Agility. She's a very quick learner. We began clicker training shortly after we brought her home from the shelter, but we had to take several weeks off due to serious illness after her first 10 days. After she recovered from that, we picked it up again and began adding some simple tasks. Another short break due to spay surgery, and we're back into training. Then I realized just how good she really is. We have learned the tunnel obstacle and we're pretty consistent and quick with that, and the pause platform. We are moving on to hurdles. She's getting the skill of clearing a low hurdle without just walking over it. We are at about an 8" height now, on the second day of practicing this task so it's still a very new skill. But she responds great to the clicker. She is an indoor-only kitten, and our backyard is a rocky, muddy mess most of the time so outdoor training isn't really suitable. We don't have a spare room that I can use for training, either. We're in a 1 bedroom duplex. Our "course" is in the living room, and even that's pretty small! It would be great to have a more spacious area, but I don't drive, I don't have a large working room, and I don't know of any place nearby where we could go with our gear for training sessions (say, a conference room or rec room somewhere...) If I were to travel to shows, it would be with another friend who shows her Aby, but I honestly haven't seen any Agility events at the shows I've gone to with her... mostly CFA and/or TICA, but I guess they don't host much Cat Agility around here.

What tips do any of you who have trained and/or shown in Agility have for a team who is just starting the training process, even if we don't go into the serious show circuit? Do any of you Agility teams do it at home just for fun? And if you have a very small residence, what ideas can you share on setting up a course for home workouts? How about getting a new "athlete" to competitions, or earning points, when there aren't many chances in your area?

Where can we get some proper Agility gear? Our hurdle is a pair of milk crates with some 3/4" PVC pipe for the bars. Our tunnel is a kid's play tunnel, wide enough for her to run through without crouching. Our swerve (slalom) poles are just small pylons. I'd like something a bit more "professional". Sorry if I'm not using the conventional terminology... correct me if there's a better or accepted term!
We're new to this and I have a lot of questions, I know--I'm not new to training cats, just new to the Agility sport. :runningcat:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have shown our cats in CFA Agility and have done well. Lots of our cats have earned Agility titles, and three of our cats have won regional Agility awards. My daughter (age 12) is generally the one who runs the cats in the ring.

We don't train at home at all... we just play with our cats a lot :) We just take our cats into the Agility ring at the show, get them used to being there, and when the cat gets warmed up, we practice a bit and then run the course for real. So I can't really give advice on constructing training courses at home. If a cat will reliably chase a toy, and can manage to focus on the toy and ignore the distractions in the show environment, they can do Agility.

The problem with Agility is a lack of shows that offer it. Depending on where you are located there might be quite a few shows with Agility, or not any at all. Shows that offer Agility generally list it in the show schedule.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You might know this website already, but just in case you haven’t seen it: CFA Agility has a lot of helpful info, and even training videos! I do some agility training with Charlie, not to compete, but just as a fun way for him to get some exercise and mental stimulation! It is a lot of fun, and a great bonding experience! Best of luck to you and Rain, and I do hope you keep us updated on her progress!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I do have a bit of advice. Even if have you trouble finding a show with Agility right away, you can get Rain accustomed to the show environment by showing in Household Pet class. You might end up doing very well in that class, too. She is gorgeous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have shown our cats in CFA Agility and have done well. Lots of our cats have earned Agility titles, and three of our cats have won regional Agility awards. My daughter (age 12) is generally the one who runs the cats in the ring.
Wow, congratulations to your athletes!

We don't train at home at all... we just play with our cats a lot :) We just take our cats into the Agility ring at the show, get them used to being there, and when the cat gets warmed up, we practice a bit and then run the course for real. So I can't really give advice on constructing training courses at home. If a cat will reliably chase a toy, and can manage to focus on the toy and ignore the distractions in the show environment, they can do Agility.
Rain definitely has focus! Once she locks onto something, it's hard to break that focus. I just want to get her used to the different kinds of obstacles. She's cautious in newer environments, and with new things in her existing environment. She does try to cheat a bit, like by going under a hurdle instead of over it, or stopping short of making the leap. She sees the toy and wants it, but she's sometimes hesitant to hurdle (or whatever) until she gets the idea that it's "safe" to do so. That's why I was wanting to familiarize her with the different kinds of things and tasks, so that she knows it's okay to proceed. She understands what she needs to do, she just needs the practice for the confidence. But she's getting it... and when she's confident with a new task, she completes it quickly!

[QUOTE} The problem with Agility is a lack of shows that offer it. Depending on where you are located there might be quite a few shows with Agility, or not any at all. Shows that offer Agility generally list it in the show schedule.
[/QUOTE]

This right here. ^^^

I checked the show schedules in Texas (CFA Gulfshore Region 3) , and I see only a couple offering Agility. One has already passed, and there is only one more CFA show with Agility out of at least 7 remaining in the 2019-20 season.

Jan 11-12, 2020 in Houston (CFA)… I'm in Dallas, so this is a long trip.

Jan 24 - Jan 26 2020 Gulf Coast Feline Foundation-- I think this one is actually TICA
And still checking schedules for other shows in the 20-21 season... not many details just yet!

Actually, I do have a bit of advice. Even if have you trouble finding a show with Agility right away, you can get Rain accustomed to the show environment by showing in Household Pet class. You might end up doing very well in that class, too. She is gorgeous.
Thanks... I've actually been thinking about doing just that! She is very tolerant of being handled, and she's a "pass-around kitty" at our vet's office, and is extremely well mannered even for visits and blood draws and such, so I think she would let a judge or two look her over and "pet on her" and check her play drive, etc.! I agree, I think she might do okay in HHP.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the idea of trying out Agility because Rain is SO hyper and gets really bored if she isn't doing something. Bored cats = "naughty cats", and she isn't really naughty. I see her determination when she goes after the toy mice, and I see how she loves to chase a toy, and I see how she SO wants attention... that this seemed like a great way to focus energy and avoid some of the potential for behavior issues. She loves it, and even Schrodie the almost-15 year old is trying some of the easier moves... at a "senior citizen" pace, but at least it's getting him moving, too.

This has been a positive thing for both cats so far, and the bond with Rain is getting so much stronger as a result. She has always been a sweetie, but this is really taking it up a level. I get more sandpaper kisses now, LOL! She is even much less "pushy" with Schrodie. Lately, I've been seeing them cozying up a lot more, now that Rain isn't all in-your-face. When she gets rowdy with him, I break out the feather tickler and the clicker, and we do a few exercises. She just wants to play with him, but he's old and not in the greatest health... and he wants to be friendly with her, but she frustrates him when she starts play sparring. It's improving the family dynamic tremendously. She also sleeps better at night, not up getting into mischief at 2 am. But perhaps that's also because she's almost 5 months old now and she's growing up!

Even if we never go competitive, Agility type work is proving to be a wonderful behavior improvement tool. Plus, it's healthy exercise for both (at their own pace).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA Gulf Shore region show schedule is here: CFA Gulfshore Region 3 R3 Show Schedule
You might consider showing her in HHP at the Mesquite show the weekend before Christmas. I know it does not have Agility, but it's a one day show and I expect it will be small and relaxed and a good show to start at. I actually fly in to those Mesquite shows fairly often, because it's cozy to have the show hall and hotel in one location, although I won't be at that particular show.

The Houston show in January is traditionally a bigger show, and that might be a little overwhelming for a first show. But if you have a good time in Mesquite, you will be ready for Houston :)

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mesquite is literally just about 15-20 minutes from home (depending on the traffic on I-635, of course!. I know exactly where that convention center is! In fact, I think they used to hold the shows over at Big Town, which is now pretty much a Ghost Town, LOL! I know I've definitely been to shows at Big Town before, many years ago.

I see this is a "benching cage provided" show, which is helpful since we don't yet have a benching cage.. Should I make a cage curtain (22x22x22"), or is a sheet curtain and pillowcase "cage mat" okay for a first timer? We might just give it a try. I will, if my friend with the Abyssinian shows, because she would be my ride there. DH doesn't care for the show thing, so I can't count on him to get us there. Perhaps I might even be able to use "UberLyft" to get us there and back... what can it hurt?

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a good explanation of how a wire cage works and how to put fabric on the cage to cover it:
You certainly don't need to put lace on the fabric and make it fancy, though. When I use wire cages, I just use 3 simple pieces of fabric.

Another option is to buy a show shelter before the show. I like the "One for Pets Cat Show House" (you can search for that at Amazon) which is sturdy and practical, and not too expensive. Then you can pop it open at home and your cats can get used to it.

Since Rain is a longhaired kitty, you will definitely want to practice show baths and show grooming before the show, too.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grooming is not a problem, because I did plenty of it as a vet tech. Didn't do the specific breed cuts, but as needed (and not in Rain's case), I did lion and teddy bear cuts. Bathing is easy, and she's been bathed several times for a now-resolved skin condition so I know that bathing, eye and ear cleaning, and nail trims are not a problem. I also have a really good groomer if I decide to do something extra special before her "debut". She is very used to being combed and brushed, and that's part of our morning routine. She hops up on the commode, begging for her brush and comb!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show grooming is different than maintenance grooming - depending on the cat, of course! Good luck showing - the household pet class is a friendly, supportive bunch from my one time experience showing in HHP. I personally like the sturdicages instead of using the ones provided at the show. I am not one to decorate my cage so it works out well for me. I have tried agility (my club always has agility at our shows) but with my Persians you didn't need a stopwatch to time them, you needed a calendar! :lol:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, for Rain, her "longer" coat is not like that of our Persians, or even like Skye's. Skye was actually a Birman mix and she had a rather thick yet silky coat. Compared to them, Rain is more like a Domestic Medium Hair even though the only "real" categories are Long and Short Hair. Her tail is that of a longhair, while her overall coat is somewhat shorter than that. She's starting to fluff up a little more now that her kitten coat is transitioning, but she won't be "super-long" like Tara, Kepler, Kirchen and Nirvana were, and probably not even as long as Skye was. So, for getting her show-ready-- in addition to the good cleansing and conditioning bath, plus ear and eye cleaning, nail trim, etc., I'll want to make sure that she is sanitary around her back end. I'll check and trim up around the paws to have them shaped well. Her "skirt" will probably still be coming back after her spay which was done just over 2 weeks ago so I'll do my best to ensure that it is nicely blended into whatever coat she has. I'll make sure that she looks naturally glossy without using much (or any) product to induce an artificial shine. I'll make sure that her teeth are clean, coat edges are neat, nothing is out of place... is there anything else that I should do? I will probably set an appointment with our groomer before the first show, just so that I don't overlook anything! With Persians, we found a great groomer who got our babies "show pretty" before the holidays, even though we didn't show them. Here's Tara, for instance... and I trust that this groomer can have Rain looking spiffy, too. I also know how to do the feet, etc. but the groomer has much better tools and facilities than I do!

Tara didn't compete in show, but she did have a short stint for a few years as a "spokes-purr-son" and model for our vet clinic, and for a local pet photographer. Thus, we took efforts to have her as pretty as a show cat, even though she was not sold to us as a "show grade" Himalayan. She also loved being groomed, and our groomer loved working with her!
I presume that this is what you meant by show grooming, right posiepurrs posiepurrs ?:bluecat:

DSCN3541.JPG

DSCN3538.JPG

Tara Formal 1.jpg
:bluecat:

Tara Formal 2.jpg

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With most cats, you don't need to trim the coat for a show at all, unless you are trying to emphasize specific breed features. It's different from dog grooming. When you mentioned "doing the feet" do you mean clipping claws?

However with longhaired cats you do want to make sure that the cat gets a good show bath (and perhaps more than one bath the week before the show).

Bathing routines can be complex for long haired show cats depending on the coat type. It's been many years since I have shown a longhaired cat so I won't offer advice on the show bath, though :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not exactly. While the grooming is very nice on this beauty, she(?) is not show groomed. Ear tufts have not been trimmed to make the ear tip to appear more round. Looks like the eyes have not been trimmed to make them 'pop'. Face is not sculpted. Coat could be fluffier - looks like the cat was cage dried. If you are going to be showing in HHP show grooming could give you an edge. Granted I have only shown HHP once (long story) but the judges ALL commented on my boys grooming and he finaled 6 out of 8 rings. Remember, the judges don't have a standard to judge them against so any edge you can have will help.

Last edited:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you mentioned "doing the feet" do you mean clipping claws?
No, I also meant trimming the excess toe tufts, shaping them up to emphasize the neat, clean shape, making sure that we aren't wearing "bunny slippers and carrying bits of litter in between the folds, etc.

Meh... perhaps I won't bother with it. After all, there are so many "flashier" kittens and cats out there, more colorful and eye-catching calicos and classic tabbies with awesome bullseye markings, vibrant reds and classic colorpoints… a plain gray cat with no outstanding things and "shiny objects" to make a judge say "Wow!" doesn't really stand a chance. The first impressions are already formed when a person/judge sees that colorful or uniquely marked cat in the cage. A solid gray cat with a sort of "medium" coat that lays rather flay against her body and a silky feathery tail up against big poofy longhairs with enormous brushes? Probably not so much. I saw the Top 25 HHP cats from 2019 in the TICA site, and there's not a gray/blue one among them. Cats like Rain are probably a dime a dozen. She's sweet and special to us, but surely nothing interesting to others in a ring. Probably not worth the kitten's time.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rain is a lovely cat and I think she has lots of potential in HHP, if it turns out that she enjoys shows!

Cats with semi-long coats like Rain don't need to be elaborately sculpted like a Persian. They just need to be totally clean (with a thorough show bath to remove every bit of grease from the coat), and normally you will want to blow dry so that the coat is fluffy and doesn't clump. Of course you need to keep the coat well combed out, also.

She can keep her toe tufts :) You don't have to trim her feet, as long as she's totally clean.

The HHP class tends to be a mix of all kinds of cats. You will see some cats that are non-standard purebreds (or "oops" breedings involving purebreds). You will see some cats that are very colorful and "flashy" with lots of white markings and poofy hair. And you will also see plenty of cats that you might think of as more "plain" such as brown mackerel tabby or tuxedo cats with a typical domestic shorthair appearance.

Every judge has different preferences. Some prefer the "plain" ones that look like a more typical domestic shorthair or longhair, rather than a non-standard purebred or "flashy" HHP with an unusual appearance.

Also, you don't have to be in the Top 25 cats in order to have a fun and rewarding show career. Campaigning a cat for a Top 25 win is a different experience that generally involves travel and being out there at the shows for lots and lots of weekends. A regional win is a lot more accessible, and I bet you could get a regional win on Rain if she enjoys the shows and you develop a good grooming routine for her.

Here are the top HHP in my CFA region last year and you see we had a "plain" gray kitty as our #7: CFA Northwest Region - 2018-19 Regional Household Pet Winners

Here are the top HHP in your CFA region last year:

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I critiqued show grooming I was only speaking of the cat in your photo. EVERY cat shown has equal chance of being successful if they are clean and nicely groomed (no dirty ears etc). Judges love looking at the HHP because they can pick the cat that strikes their fancy and not be held to a standard. If your baby enjoys agility she will probably shine on the judging table playing with the judges. Please try it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much fun you will have, win or not. Personally I LOVE the bunny slippers even if they are a pain to keep clean.
Here are the top winners nationally for last year. As you can see there are some regular looking, albeit beautiful cats there:
CFA's Top Household Pets, Regions 1-9, for the 2018-19 show season

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yet another question... we're coming up on 3 weeks since Rain's spay. Her belly fur is growing back slowly but steadily and she's now got a "slightly longer than peach fuzz" covering of regrowing fur. The show is a month away. I don't think her belly fur will be fully back in that time, but it of course will be longer than it is now. Would a judge be understanding of a 5-6 month old kitten with a "spay crew cut", or would that possibly work against her? If needed, we can always wait until another show, and there's one coming up in the third weekend of January at the same venue. Would it be better to wait until her "skirt" comes back, or would it be worth it to see how she does on her own personality? Surely judges have seen young HHP's with spay fuzz before. What's the general consensus?