Has Anyone Here Read Stephen King's Dark Tower Series?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading it for the second time. The series is probably my most favorite out of all the books he's written (and that I've read so far), but there are some things about the books that irritate me. I'm curious as to what others think about the series who have read them. I've been watching the TV series of Under the Dome, and plan on reading the book next - after I finish the Dark Tower series. I've heard that that book is really good! Can't wait to sink my teeth into that one!

What's your opinion about the Dark Tower series?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I read part 3 first Don't know why but all are great.  Misery is my favorite and so is Cell.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Truthfully? I hated it. As it was, it was in the middle of the winter when I finished the series. Thankfully so, because had it been during the summer, all seven books would have gone into the pool; that's how disgusted I was at the ending. He took the easy way out. And I think he's been doing that for several of his more recent books. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truthfully? I hated it. As it was, it was in the middle of the winter when I finished the series. Thankfully so, because had it been during the summer, all seven books would have gone into the pool; that's how disgusted I was at the ending. He took the easy way out. And I think he's been doing that for several of his more recent books. 
That's what quite a few people think from what I gather - that he took the easy way out. I haven't formed an opinion yet - probably because I was one of the few people who stopped reading the last book at the end when SK suggested to stop  reading if you preferred a "happy ending" instead of one that might tick you off. This time, I plan on reading it till the bitter (?) end (I'm almost there). I just have to know what happens once Roland reaches the Dark Tower. Somehow I have a distinct feeling that what's gonna happen is that Roland ends up at the very beginning where it all first started - and that WILL tick me off!
After all, what would tick people off more than to spend all that time reading those books just to have it end at the beginning? Then you're left to wonder all kinds of things and left hanging!
(please don't tell me that's what happens till I'm finished!
).

One thing that did irritate me was the way SK "wrote" himself into the storyline. Kinda narcissistic if you ask me.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I read part 3 first Don't know why but all are great.  Misery is my favorite and so is Cell.
Misery is one of my favs too: I haven't finished Cell yet. I also really liked Insomnia & 11-22-63. The Stand was actually my all-time fav till I read the Dark Tower series.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually love almost all of kings books except the dark tower series.
I tried but I could never get into it. My absolute fav is the stand

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried.  I think I slaved my way through the first one, and got part way through the second before I felt like stabbing my eyes out!  I gave up on Stephen King at that point and haven't read another book of his since!  Until that series he used to be one of my most favourite authors.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried to read the first book in the Dark Tower series.  I just couldn't get into it.  I don't think this is giving too much away to say that about the time Roland found the jawbone, I stopped reading.  Other people have told me what a fantastic series it is, but I will probably never see that for myself.  My favorites are 'Salem's lot, The Stand, The Shining, and a number of short stories/novellas.  

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes
I tried to read the first book in the Dark Tower series.  I just couldn't get into it.  I don't think this is giving too much away to say that about the time Roland found the jawbone, I stopped reading.  Other people have told me what a fantastic series it is, but I will probably never see that for myself.  My favorites are 'Salem's lot, The Stand, The Shining, and a number of short stories/novellas.  
I forgot the shining! That is my favorite. I couldn't go to the bathroom at night if the shower curtain was closed after I read that book.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i really liked it up to #5. i often wondered how different the last books would've been if he had finished the series before he had the accident. i really hated the ending

colts2broncos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too will confirm that the stand is the best he ever wrote. I have that and insomnia autographed by him. I have not read The Dark Tower yet I just can't get into those series books. I really just wanted to jump in on this thread because I absolutely love Stephen King :-)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Christine scared the crap out of me when I read it for the first time. It was a few months before I could drive alone at night and not have the interior light on in my car. I knew that if I looked in the passenger seat, nobody would be there. I knew it. But no way was I going to deal with it either. Not me.

Loved The Shining. Jack Nicholson was fantastic in the movie, too. I also really liked The Dark Half ("the sparrows are flying"). I liked The Talisman (with Peter Straub). I really liked The Stand. I thought Duma Key was good. He had some great short stories and novellas. (I always liked Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, for some reason. There was one, too, where the guy had high cholesterol and was a bit overweight, so he started to ride a stationery bike. I don't remember the name of that one, right off-hand.)

Hated Misery, nor did I like the movie. Didn't like Cujo either.

His new book, coming out this year, is called Doctor Sleep.

I do think his older stuff was much, much better than the newer books. As Goonie mentioned, the accident could have something to do with it. I remember he said at one time that the accident had put him into a really dark place for awhile. Plus, I think he has an eye disease now....if he's not having trouble seeing yet, he soon will be. I don't remember what it is, but I remember reading about it somewhere along the line.

colts2broncos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I liked him in The Stand since you could actually get to know the character a bit, usually his appearances are so short you can't identify.  However, given his acting abilities, I'm glad he's an author :)