Has Anyone Heard Of The Koha Brand?

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all cat lovers,

Has anyone heard of KOHA? I went to a local store yesterday and tried to look for new food for Loki and KOHA stew recipes got my attention. According to KOHA, "No grain or potato", "No wheat, corn or soy", "No carrageenan or guar gum". Pretty good right? Even better after I have looked at the ingredient, there is no agar agar and any source of gum. It's almost the dream come true for me that they literally don't have any kind of ingredients that I dislike. The price is decent, I would say, for a 5.5oz can. At least I can afford it as an alternative for Loki instead of keep feeding him Nature Instinct.

Any thought on this food?

Oh, here are the ingredients: Duck, Duck Broth, Vegetable Broth, Dried Egg Product, Porcine Plasma, Dehydrated Chicken Liver, Fenugreek Seeds, Parsley, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Kale, Dandelion Greens, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Turmeric, Ginger, New Zealand Green Mussel, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Folic Acid

And here is the nutrition info
  • Ash (max): Crude 2.5%
  • Crude Protein (min): 9.50%
  • Crude Fat (min): 5.50%
  • Crude Fiber (max): 1.50%
  • Moisture (max): 82.00%

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it once with one of my cats. He got insanely sick and puked the whole thing up. It was duck. :dunno:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat with food allergies absolutely adored the KOHA Limited Ingredient Diet pates for a couple of months, as long as I was only buying a few cans at a time. And his overall health improved significantly, which is saying a lot since he has FIV and herpes, and is almost always sick.

Then I made the mistake of starting to buy it by the case, and Buddy suddenly decided that he didn't like it anymore. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Well, to be on the safe side, I will buy a couple cans at a time :biggrin: Loki likes it so far and I hope it's not the 1 time thing....

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 How can you tell it's 60%+ fat and 30%+protein? I guess feeding him a few cans a month won't be that bad if it's so high in fat. I just want to diverse the protein a bit

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats initially loved Koha duck stew but then decided -- kind of like cheeser cheeser 's Buddy -- that they just didn't like it any more. So I set it aside.

I think it's very decent food and don't mind the high fat since we feed a fair bit of food that's fairly low in fat. Our cats tend to get picky about their canned foods easily so mixing things up is a necessity!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Well, to be on the safe side, I will buy a couple cans at a time :biggrin: Loki likes it so far and I hope it's not the 1 time thing....

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 How can you tell it's 60%+ fat and 30%+protein? I guess feeding him a few cans a month won't be that bad if it's so high in fat. I just want to diverse the protein a bit
I'll keep my fingers crossed for y'all! :)

Dr. Pierson lists the protein/fat/carb content of lots of foods in this chart at catinfo.org. For products not listed, I created a spreadsheet based on the formulas on her website and plug in the Guaranteed Analysis info. The numbers can be a little wonky sometimes since the Guaranteed Analysis info is listed in terms of maximums and minimums, and not exact numbers. But I figure a ballpark guesstimate is better than nothing. :wink:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I emailed them and asked them to send me the caloric breakdown and they sent me a very detailed spreadsheet. I agree variety is important and cats usually do well on high fat. Much better than high carbs. But I already feed 8 different kinds of canned food to my cats so I didn't want to spend my money on mostly fat.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Thanks for sharing :hearthrob: I scrolled thru the list and noticed that most of the food has very high % in fat. In fact, the fat% is always higher than protein%. Is it okay if I keep feeding him food with fat% higher than protein% (such as KOHA, Instinct, ZiwiPeak)? Oh, I also feed him Primal frozen raw

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Thanks for sharing :hearthrob: I scrolled thru the list and noticed that most of the food has very high % in fat. In fact, the fat% is always higher than protein%. Is it okay if I keep feeding him food with fat% higher than protein% (such as KOHA, Instinct, ZiwiPeak)? Oh, I also feed him Primal frozen raw
You're very welcome. :)

Unfortunately, protein is more expensive than fat, so it's pretty common for low-carb foods to be higher in fat.

If our Buddy didn't have any food allergies, and I didn't have to be concerned about fish as an ingredient, I'd just download this spreadsheet version of Dr. Pierson's Cat Food Protein/Fat/Carb/Phosphorus chart and do a quick sort to see which ones are higher in protein than fat.

But since I do, well, we're kinda stuck with having to feed a diet higher in fat than we'd prefer, which is why we're getting ready to start making some of our own cat food. :)

If you want, I can check my spreadsheet (which includes some options not on Dr. Pierson's chart) to see if I can compile a list of options for you where the protein is higher than the fat content.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 chicken, 2 turkey, and 1 duck stew to try the ladies on, but currently we are of no opinion. Any day now.

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Really? Oh please do so :happycat: can't thank you enough for compiling a list of options for me. I sincerely appreciate your help.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser Really? Oh please do so :happycat: can't thank you enough for compiling a list of options for me. I sincerely appreciate your help.
I'd be happy to. :)

Besides wanting the protein % to be higher than the fat %, do you have any specific criteria in mind re: protein sources, carb content, brands, textures, etc.? Or would it be easier if I just sent you a copy of my spreadsheet so you can sort and re-sort to your heart's content? I'm flexible. :wink:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone was eating turkey dinner at 6 am without me, because my boyfriend opened it up. Dish was empty at 9am, so I put American Journey in, open the fridge to put it away, and there's a Koha can with a lid.
"K. So who ate it?"
"I assume Amalie, because she was hungry and that's all I gave her."
Amalie is our cat that will hold out for kibble if she thinks your wet is inferior.
So... I guess we're good?