Has Anyone Heard of Capilex Soft Treat Chews for Hairballs?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just now, Casper brought up a rather large hairball.  Since his appetite has been pretty on and off lately, and he's had a history of vomiting after eating it suddenly occurred to me it could possibly always have been hairball related.  We've had 2 vets so far and neither of them have ever mentioned this possibility.  Even though he's short haired, it's a bit longer in some places and he shed a LOT.  I can pass the comb through him daily and come up with quite a bit of hair in it.

So, this led me to do some internet research about hair balls and I came across a product called Capilex, which apparently is a soft chew which doesn't only help pass the hair through the system, it breaks up the hair as well.  

So, of course I started to wonder if anyone here has heard of it/used it and if so, what the results of it were/is it safe, etc.

Thanks!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard of Capilex. What are the ingredients? I have seen that a lot of members use egg yolk lecithin for hairballs. It emulsifies the fat that binds the hair to make it easier to pass which sounds like the description for Capilex. The addition of fiber also seems to help some cats in the form of slipper elm bark powder.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oops, that's slippery elm bark. Darn phone. Can't edit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL, I hate phones sometimes :)

I tried looking up the ingredients.  I'll tell you, I'm an expert internet sleuth and couldn't find them anywhere.  It's sold exclusively through vet offices, which now makes me suspect.  Block Pharmaceuticals makes it. They don't even list it on their website.  

I've read a lot of bout the egg yolk lecithin here.  How often would it be used and, for how long?  Same for the slippery elm.

BTW, he ate his whole portion of breakfast this morning, in nearly one shot without bringing it up.  Plus, was VERY interested in the food, which has been a problem lately.  I don't think it's mere coincidence.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You made me curious, so I tried looking up ingredients for Capilex and couldn't find them anywhere either. Looks like it's a fairly new product from Bock Vet Pharma. I hate when companies won't disclose ingredients. I'm sure they'll say it's proprietary information or something, but I would prefer to know what I'm paying for and what I'm giving to my cat. Wouldn't it be ironic if it contains egg yolk lecithin with some flavoring added to make it more palatable to cats?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know, I thought the same thing.

BTW thanks for the link to that thread.  Very helpful.  Funny thing is the vet (who I just may get rid of anyway) recommended we feed our other cat an egg once or so a week to help fatten her up a bit.  Of course, I think he meant just the yolk. 

I already know Casper likes egg yolk a lot.  My BF sometimes lets him lick his plate clean from the left over yolk of sunny side up eggs.  So, I think I'm going to try and see if he'll go for it later today, probably will split it with Cocoa.  She could benefit from it too since she's long haired.

I also ran into the woman I adopted her from earlier today and was mentioning all of this to her, and she reminded me that she uses plain pureed pumpkin to help move things through her cats systems, just a little bit added to their wet food a few times a week.  So, I picked up a can and I'll freeze it into portions to defrost as needed.  Couldn't hurt and might help.

I'll probably go ahead and order the Swanson's capsules anyway.  They are reasonable, and will be easier to manage than trying to remember when I last gave them a fresh egg.  Plus, we eat and use so many eggs ourselves, we chance running out of them anyway 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have heard plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) suggested for treating hairballs, diarrhea, or constipation. The recommended dose is one tablespoon a day split in 2-3 meals mixed into their wet food. It's a safe fiber for cats. I don't know if I would feed it in conjunction with the slippery elm bark since they're both fiber sources. Maybe just one or the other and see how it goes?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the pumpkin already - so I'll start with it.

And yes, as a caution to those reading the thread at any point who are unfamiliar with using pumpkin, do NOT get pumpkin pie filling.  Only plain, unadultered pumpkin, no flavorings.  The one I purchased happens to be organic.

swjdvm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am Dr. Sheila Jarasek, the Technical Director and one of the creators of the Capilex previously mentioned. The company name is Bock Vet Pharma, not Block Pharmaceuticals, which is probably why Capilex was not mentioned on that website! :) I also practice two days a week. I thought I would put my 2 cents in! As to the initial post - the vomiting can definitely be secondary to hairballs even though you never or rarely see actual hairballs vomited. I have never used pumpkin for vomiting for any reason, not because it is dangerous, but just because I have not found it to be that effective. Pumpkin is a fiber laxative that theoretically - given in a sufficient dose - increases intestinal motility that would to help move the hairball along. It does nothing to target the hairball directly. It can be very effective in cases where the intestinal motility is good. It is not as good in cases with renal disease or concurrent intestinal disease where the intestinal health may be compromised. I HAVE used pumpkin in cases of chronic fiber responsive diarrhea with good success. Capilex is different from pumpkin in that it directly targets the hairball. It is safe for young and old cats, it has no additional sugar additives so is ok to use with diabetics, the flavor is an artificial salmon flavor so I use it in cats with food allergies, and it is safe to use with urinary diets or the new Y/D diet for hyperthyroidism. The reason Capilex is not available on line is because that is how we formed our company. Bock Vet Pharma was founded as a company that would partner directly with veterinarians to provide products that are tested safe and effective and that are easy to use - the goal of the company being to improve the lives of pets and their owners in partnership with their doctors. So our products are not available over the internet, but only through your vets office. All our products have a 100% client satisfaction guarantee, so if you don't like them for any reason, you can return them to your vet for a full refund. We want you to be satisfied and happy with our products. We are definitely not trying to hide the ingredients to Capilex, it is just that we are a relatively younger company and our website is lagging behind on content. Our product does contain lecithin :) , and bromelain. Just some information to clarifiy the action of Capilex - It does NOT dissolve hair - that is not possible inside the cat in any safe way - but we DO dissolve or break up the hairball. The word dissolve can be confusing so I like to use break up. If you can imagine, most of the weight and mass of a hairball is in the organic material and food that is trapped in the hair. Once the organic material is separated from the hair, the hair passes out naturally and without any problems. Perhaps egg yolk lecithin will work for your cat as well as pumpkin. As long as it is safe and non toxic, easy to use and works for you - I don't see a problem with it. What we are trying to offer in our product is a fiber and lubricant free, easy to use alternative for treating hairballs. Cats come running and take them as a treat. We have husbands and children tasked with dosing Capilex because the cats love it so much it is easy to do - and it becomes a positive bonding experience - actually strengthening the human- animal bond. So : Ingredients:vegetable oil, maltodextrin, croscarmellose sodium, flavor, microcrystilline cellulose, lecithin, sodium acid pyrophosphate, bromelain. No extraneous ingredients are added. If you have a question about any of the ingredients or have any additional questions - please feel free to contact me at our website  under contact us and put Attn: Dr. Jarasek and the message will get to me. We are also on facebook and we have many testimonials there from customers and vets alike. Good luck with your kitties and their hairballs! Hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you too Dr.  I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to us.  Sounds very promising.  I'll be asking our vet about this shortly.

neysa30

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I received Capilex last month from my vet.  My Maine Coon cat had been vomiting sometimes hairballs, sometimes just liquid, not good she said.  I was surprised to find that he LOVED the Capilex and took it as easily as a treat!  It seems to really be helping, he does not have the hairballs and vomintg nearly as much as before.  They were not cheap, but they seem to be working.  Hope this helps!

swjdvm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neysa30, I am glad to hear Capilex has helped with your cats hairballs and vomiting issues!  And the fact they love it does make it easier to do every day!

hbananas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From the box:  Vegetable Oil, Maltodextrin, Croscarmellose Sodium, Flavor, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Lecithin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Bromelain.

cfritztx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of our cats was coughing a lot, even to the point of waking us up at night. The vet said his lungs were clear and he most likely had a hair all to large to bring up. Capilex was prescribed. We found the capsules were too large and hard to be considered chewable for our little guy. I found that cutting them into 4 little pieces made them edible for him. This picky little eater loved his morning "treat". We have now finished the box - no more coughing and his appetite is back.

fernkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a vet tech of almost 18 years I know the hard times cats have with hairballs. I have a long haired orange tabby and he was always vomiting food and bile. I started him and my other cats 10 and 16 years old on Capilex and they are doing great on it. My tabby no longer vomits but instead the hair comes out in his bowel movements. If anyone is doubtful on this product I am here to change their minds. I highly recommend this to any cat owner.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sivyaleah sivyaleah , I'll just chime in here with reminding everyone that one of the most effective methods of hairball control is avoidance of ingestion. Despite lecithin, yolk, digestive enzymes, and the Vet's Best Hairball Relief that has the fiber and enzymes in it, Lazlo and Tuxedo continued to have problems this year. My vet suggested just a belly shave, as that is where most cats groom most. We did that, and no more hairballs. The belly shave completely nipped it. Just a thought.

Of course - that doesn't address the motility problem that causes the hairballs in the first place. Thus my kitties continue to get lecithin and yolk, and slippery elm bark powder, George's Aloe Vera Juice, S boulardii, a probiotic with acidophilus and bifidobacterium, and digestive enzymes that collectively address motility and inflammation.

my mainecoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I have been giving it to my cat for a few years now.  When he seemed like he was having a little cough, i mentioned it to his Veterinarian .  I buy it through her office.I t seems to help somewhat.  He likes it.  I cut it in 3 pieces and give it to him with other treats and he always eats the Capilex first. I also buy Purina Indoor Cat Chow which helps with Hairballs. My Cat is a Maine Coon and has Thick short hair, but if you use the rake that i have it brings out soft undercoat of hair.  He doesn't seem to shed the upper short hair.