Has Anyone Had Experience With Thyroid Surgery Rather Than Radiation Therapy For Hyperthyroid

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had experience with thyroid surgery rather than using radiation therapy for hyperthyroid? I will find out today if my cat has hyperthyroid. Her vet saw a little enlargement of her thyroid on ultrasound and her kidney values are normal in spite of kidney disease both of which can indicate hyperthyroid. I am worried about the effects of radiation on her kidneys and throats from radioactive treatment and I cannot be exposed as I have a radiation injury and am at risk so I was wondering about other options. Medicating seems not to stop the thyroid from growing larger thus causing a worse problem later so it doesn't seem a good idea. Is there any microscopic surgery that prevents damage to the parathyroid?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with this. Posting will bump it back up to the top and keep it on the first page. I know a lot of people do have experience with this.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience of this either. Mr. Grimsby (pictured) had a radioactive iodine injection because he couldn't tolerate the drugs either. I didn't even know there was an option to have surgery! Good luck with your loved one. Please let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience of this either. Mr. Grimsby (pictured) had a radioactive iodine injection because he couldn't tolerate the drugs either. I didn't even know there was an option to have surgery! Good luck with your loved one. Please let us know how it goes.
Decided on I 131 treatment
See "hyperthyroid in my cat just being diagnosed" thread
I decided on I 131 treatment after two surgeons said they haven't done thyroid surgery since the 1980s because I131 is successful and without side effects for cats. See posts in above thread to see how we are doing.