Has anyone had a car shipped?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just inherited a car that I would like to have shipped from PA to NC.  This is a new experience for me, and I'm overwhelmed by all the brokers out there and really kind of scared to make the wrong choice.  Has anyone ever had a car shipped from one state to another?  Who did you use? Were you satisfied with the experience?  Any tips on what I should or shouldn't be looking for / doing?

I have quotes from a dozen companies and I've narrowed it down to a couple. I have to make a decision soon, but I'm just afraid to commit.  Any advice will be sincerely appreciated!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always go with Better Business Bureau companies with A+ ratings, especially if it is a service, so if anything goes wrong I can complain to the BBB. Most companies with high ratings really don't want to lose it so they will get the job done right. Without the BBB, the only other recourse if there's a problem is small claims court, but that can be impossible if it's a sketchy business to begin with, and really you want the service done not your money back.

Make sure you get a signed contract that has a set date for delivery. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The one's I'm looking at are BBB A+, and other reviews are good. I look for something with a LOT of reviews.

I hate this whole process.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PA to NC isn't that that huge of a distance. Why not take a bus there and then drive the car back. So much cheaper.
Because there is no way in this lifetime that I will drive that far on an unfamiliar route, especially by myself.  I got lost I can't tell you how many times just driving around the small town my aunt lived in, and I just don't like to drive period. Maybe if I was younger, or I had someone to share the drive it would be okay, but I doubt it.  I had to drive less than two hours to get to her town and I was just so glad when I got there.  Going back GPS was out due to being overcast and I was freaked out the whole time I would turn the wrong way.  I can't read a map, tried that and did turn the wrong way.

Plus, I would have to take a plane down, and then rent a car to get from the city I fly into to the smaller town with no airport. If I had a second driver, I would have to pay for two plane tickets, so not really cheaper. (Less than $600 to ship).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I wouldn't be able to do it in one day either, so I'd have to factor in the cost of a hotel, one or more nights.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just don't like to drive period.
I hear you about getting lost. That is my greatest fear, well that and dying in a fire! A year at 911 I was flying to Detroit. I had to change planes in Chicago.  I wasn't afraid of crashing or terrorists or being blown up etc.  I was however, terrified of getting lost in the Chicago airport.  Luckily there were some nice people from Detroit that were flying back from Manitoba (where I live) where they had been fishing.  So they took me under their wing and made sure I found my way to the proper gate, and one guy even carried my carry-on for me.

If you don't like to drive, why not just sell the car where it is and use the money to get something you want and/or need? 

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hear you about getting lost. That is my greatest fear, well that and dying in a fire! A year at 911 I was flying to Detroit. I had to change planes in Chicago.  I wasn't afraid of crashing or terrorists or being blown up etc.  I was however, terrified of getting lost in the Chicago airport.  Luckily there were some nice people from Detroit that were flying back from Manitoba (where I live) where they had been fishing.  So they took me under their wing and made sure I found my way to the proper gate, and one guy even carried my carry-on for me.

If you don't like to drive, why not just sell the car where it is and use the money to get something you want and/or need? 
Not really a fear of getting lost, a certainty that I will. I even got lost in my town yesterday looking for the Dairy Queen (they had a detour).  Kind of funny.  I had the same concern when I flew into Chicago years ago, but I managed to find my way around. I'm okay in airports where things are clearly marked, but not so good on the roads where I can't read maps for anything. The first time I drove into Warren I had each segment of the drive printed on little maps, and still managed to turn the wrong way. I had several very nice people help me on this recent trip, especially this one retired truck driver who overheard me asking in the 7-11 type store, he said oh just follow me and I'll get you where you want to go!  Some people are just so nice.

We do need a second car, we only have one, and I can't see any other way to get a car with less than 6,000 miles in great condition for under $600. One owner, and I knew her well. It's not so much that I hate to drive, I just don't like driving long distances especially if I'm not familiar with the route.  It's a good thing I remembered my way back this last trip because GPS went out.  If I was trying to drive from PA to NC and GPS went out I'd probably just pull over to the side of the road and curl up in a ball (lol).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
PA to NC can be done in less than one day. Do you have GPS on your cell? Or is that the GPS you were talking about that died on a cloudy day? The worst part of the trip is driving out around the VA/DC beltway....other than that, it's not bad. I swear. Can you get a GF to go with you? Do you have AAA? I don't know if they still do this, but you used to be able to buy a "Trip TicK" something like that. They actually map out the entire route for you AND they will tell you where the detours for construction and such are located.

Are you talking about Warren, PA? That's not too bad, although it's at the northwestern part of PA, so it's a drive just to get from there to the southern PA border. I still think you could do it one day's time, though, but it would take pretty much all day. 

See if you can get a GF to ride with you. That would take a lot of the worry about of the trip for you, just having somebody with you. At least, if you get lost, you wouldn't be alone. 
 And she could be your navigator, which would take a lot of the hassle away from you, too. And even if you paid for your GF's bus ticket to go with you, it might be cheaper than trying to have the car shipped.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if I were brave I might try it.  I don't drive over the speed limit (maybe 5 miles) so it takes me longer than most "normal" people. Plus I have a huge fear of hitting an animal in the road so I'm super cautious most the time. Adds time to my trip, and stress to my person.  I might try it with a friend who was less geographically challenged, but would have to pay for the plane ride down there for both of us and that would come to about the same as it costs to ship.  MapQuest tells me it would take about 11 to drive from Warren to NC.

You can still get a trip tick from AAA. The first time I drove from Erie to Warren I got one. And I printed each segment of the way from MapQuest as well. I had my sister with me (who is unfortunately also geographically challenged, as navigator). It was hilarious.  Which way do I turn??!!  I Don't Know!!!  Managed to turn the wrong way at the fork in the road and end up who knows where if I hadn't stopped and asked directions at a little store, and happened to be not far from Route 6 that I was looking for, but it was way the heck out of my way.  I should learn to go the opposite way from what my instinct tells me.  I do have a GPS (Garmin) that I love very much - until it loses it's signal. Then our relationship goes south quickly.

The car is in Erie, PA, right now, at my sister's place, resting comfortably until the truck comes to pick it up. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I wish you the best of luck with your car! 

Before we got Hannah (she has a nav system), we were going to Connecticut to visit a good friend of ours. And on the way up, we always stopped at Norwich at the Penzey Spice store to get my supply of spices. And we always got lost. Always. Not really lost; it was just that we couldn't agree on what road to turn off to get to the store. There would always be a lot of bickering between us and, ever year, we went through the same thing. When I bought the Vista computer from Dell, we got a free Garmin GPS and Rick kept it in his truck. We used that and (finally!!) made it to Penzey without one bicker.....well, no bicker about not finding our way to the store anyway. We were amazed at how easy it was!

Now we have Hannah and she does a good job. Except for the time that we put in the Penzey address when we were in Pittsburgh and she said, "You have now reached your destination; your route guidance is finished" and we were halfway across a bridge. 
 That was ugly. Pittsburgh. Pouring down rain. Lots of traffic. Lots of road construction.  Another couple was with us and she kept talking at me. Rick kept talking at me. And they were giving me two completely different directions. And then they started arguing amongst themselves and meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid losing my mind--what little was left of it at that point.

Finally, I stopped the car. "OK, you two! Shut up! I can only listen to one person at a time! Rick, get up in the front seat and tell me what to do! NOW!" Rick and my GF changed places. Rick gave me directions. And we finally got there. After we finished our shopping and got to the car, I handed the keys to Dear Richard and said, "Drive." And that was that. He got us into West Virginia and life was good. But Pittsburgh? Oy

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I wish you the best of luck with your car! 

Before we got Hannah (she has a nav system), we were going to Connecticut to visit a good friend of ours. And on the way up, we always stopped at Norwich at the Penzey Spice store to get my supply of spices. And we always got lost. Always. Not really lost; it was just that we couldn't agree on what road to turn off to get to the store. There would always be a lot of bickering between us and, ever year, we went through the same thing. When I bought the Vista computer from Dell, we got a free Garmin GPS and Rick kept it in his truck. We used that and (finally!!) made it to Penzey without one bicker.....well, no bicker about not finding our way to the store anyway. We were amazed at how easy it was!

Now we have Hannah and she does a good job. Except for the time that we put in the Penzey address when we were in Pittsburgh and she said, "You have now reached your destination; your route guidance is finished" and we were halfway across a bridge. 
 That was ugly. Pittsburgh. Pouring down rain. Lots of traffic. Lots of road construction.  Another couple was with us and she kept talking at me. Rick kept talking at me. And they were giving me two completely different directions. And then they started arguing amongst themselves and meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid losing my mind--what little was left of it at that point.

Finally, I stopped the car. "OK, you two! Shut up! I can only listen to one person at a time! Rick, get up in the front seat and tell me what to do! NOW!" Rick and my GF changed places. Rick gave me directions. And we finally got there. After we finished our shopping and got to the car, I handed the keys to Dear Richard and said, "Drive." And that was that. He got us into West Virginia and life was good. But Pittsburgh? Oy
Wow, the middle of a bridge? I would have been freaked out already on a bridge.  When we drove down from Ohio to NC I was driving through the mountains because DH doesn't like driving on hills and such, came around a bend when we got to the bottom, and bridge! I said OMG! A bridge! DH Said he had seen it on the map but didn't say anything because he knew I would freak out. At least it was a small one.  I also know about Pittsburgh and would not be too excited to be driving there.  One thing about DH, he can read a map and knows how to find stuff.  He can't stand the GPS, at least when I have the audio on. I love it, makes me feel secure. Although it's funny when I know my way on some portion of the trip and don't go the way she wants me to, I swear she starts getting irritated.  Recalculating!  Recalculating!  RECALCULATING!!

Anyhoo, the car is on it's way. Carrier picked it up today and it should be down here by Friday.  I have my fingers crossed that all goes well. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't like driving all that much so I make DH do it.  We've crossed a few good bridges but it doesn't bother me as long as he is driving.  The one I don't really care for is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.  It just goes on and on and on.  Both times; someone else was driving.  My mother and I got lost somewhere in PA when we were heading to visit a friend of hers when i was a kid.  We ended up crossing some scary bridge.  I must have been 8 or 9 at the time.  Most of what I remember was that it was a grated bridge; not paved and it seemed like a very high draw bridge.  I have no idea where we could have been or what it really was.  Eventually I became a pretty good navigator.  DH and I have done enough trips that I know we do ok driving together; but I do prefer the GPS.  Sometimes I just can't stay awake in the car. 

I hope the car gets to you safe and sound and on time! 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I really don't like driving all that much so I make DH do it.  We've crossed a few good bridges but it doesn't bother me as long as he is driving.  The one I don't really care for is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.  It just goes on and on and on.  Both times; someone else was driving.  My mother and I got lost somewhere in PA when we were heading to visit a friend of hers when i was a kid.  We ended up crossing some scary bridge.  I must have been 8 or 9 at the time.  Most of what I remember was that it was a grated bridge; not paved and it seemed like a very high draw bridge.  I have no idea where we could have been or what it really was.  Eventually I became a pretty good navigator.  DH and I have done enough trips that I know we do ok driving together; but I do prefer the GPS.  Sometimes I just can't stay awake in the car. 

I hope the car gets to you safe and sound and on time! 
I live near the CBBT.  We've driven through it a couple of times. We had to go to New England to visit family, and going up the Eastern Shore is much more pleasant than having to go through DC.  The tunnels do go on and on- and it can be kind of scary driving through them when you have cars coming at you in the opposite direction.  I know there's work in place to make opposite direction tunnels, so that there will be a northbound and southbound tunnel- just like what has been done to the bridges.  

The Cape Henry Lighthouse is right near there- and it was kind of neat going up to the top and seeing it. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We love the Cape Henry Lighthouse. Lighthouses are really neat. The CBBT always gives me the creeps when we go through. Oh, I know it's safe and we're fine. But it's just the idea that we're "down there". 

Same thing up at Niagara Falls. You can walk Behind the Falls in this tunnel and they have an opening right behind the falls that you can look out and see the falls right in front of you. We went in and it was kind of creepy. You can see where there are a few leaks and the water is seeping through a bit. Man, if that thing collapsed......

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update - car has arrived safe and sound.  Took them one day to get it to us.  We have already transferred title and gotten it registered in our name. It's a very nice little car.