Has anyone ever used Amatriptalyne?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat at the shelter that the vet has put on Amatriptalyne. She is the most high strung cat I have ever seen. She had had a long term URI and that is part of why he perscribed it for her. I would normally go the more natural route, but this poor cat is so miserable that I felt it was more compasionate to try and help her feel better emotionally. She screams any time anyone comes near her and will lunge and try to slap. She just had blood work this week and it is totally normal. I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience with this drug for behavioral issues?

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

My youngest cat Turtle has been on Amatriptalyne for several months now. She is the newest of my 8 cats, and they have all picked on her since she was a kitten (she is now 3). She is extremely nervous and cautious and I noticed she was pulling out large chunks of her long fur. After determining she was healthy and didn't have allergies to anything, we put her on this med and it seems to have helped some. She's had one bout of fur pulling since, but after putting another cat (one of the ones that torments her the worst) on Prozac, she seems to have stopped again.

The cat on Prozac was on Amatriptalyne for a short time, but it made her more aggressive (rare, but can happen). I haven't seen any bad side effects and while Turtle is still cautious and picked on, she seems to be doing better.

Hope this helps! :-)