Has Anyone Else's Cat Stopped Liking Fancy Feast Canned Food?

coolkountrykaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's favorite flavour of FF was Liver & Chicken Pate, and just in last 2 weeks, he won't touch it. I noticed it doesn't look & smell the same.

janney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 cats have been eating Fancy Feast for their entire lives. Last week they both became ill with the worst vomiting and diarrhea I have ever encountered. They got over it, then the second one began vomiting and diarrhea a day later. I realized it was a bad batch of food. I called the company and they said there had been a formula change right around the date those cans were
manufactured. This wasn't the result of any change in formula, unless they added botulism. I found cans with older numbers and they are fine now. I now have to find another brand of food for them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Depending on how finicky your cats are, take a look at Purina true instinct, it's a food that my "oh it's gotta be FF or nothing" feline finally accepted.

Otherwise, there are some grocery store brands that are decent foods as are tractor supply's 4health and paws and claws.

If you decide to order online, Only Natural Pet, the Big Bad Woof, koha and lifesabundance allow small quantity orders, and there might be others too.

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The formula change is for cans with a best before date of around August 2019.
Luckily my cat won’t eat it, so hasn’t been ill. The can label now reflects the formula change.
I have been everywhere and bought all the older cans I can find.
Sadly Purina won’t listen, because they need to review this and change the formula back.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The formula change is for cans with a best before date of around August 2019.
Luckily my cat won’t eat it, so hasn’t been ill. The can label now reflects the formula change.
I have been everywhere and bought all the older cans I can find.
Sadly Purina won’t listen, because they need to review this and change the formula back.
My cat eats the liver & chicken ff pate. What do you mean that "the can label now reflects the formula change?" What should I be looking for on the label?

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purina wereatfirst denying any formula change. However, I work on the basis that my cat knows best. So I tried her on different best before dates. Those she would eat were the old formula, tnose she would not were the new. Turns out she was spot on.
Purina then admitted the formula change, but they have 6 months by law in which to change the ingredients list on the cans.
I can’t remember when they first appeared, but I know that as of now the label reflects the new formula. Look at an old label, say December 2019 and compare to a new label, such as May 2020. There are slight differences. In particular Calcium sulphate is now Tri Calcium Sulphate.
What we don’t know however is the origin of ingredients. This does not have to be shown.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine used to like grilled chicken and liver and would eat it everyday, 6 months ago he completely stopped. He won't even eat other fancy feast, except the florentine ones, but only a few bites/ He is very picky, I tried almost everything.

I just got Fortiflora today, and sprinkled a lil on his wet food and he really liked it. I have to make sure its a small amount- otherwise it upsets his stomach.
The only food he will eat is Royal Canin Adult instinctive, Royal Canin Adult instinctive dry food, Solid gold dry food. Because he is eating more dry food that wet, I give him Hartz Bisque in the morning, and another liquid treat in the evening.

Purina Muse and Friskies just came out with their soup range. Definitely going to get those.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's favorite flavour of FF was Liver & Chicken Pate, and just in last 2 weeks, he won't touch it. I noticed it doesn't look & smell the same.
The ingredients of Tender liver and chicken feast pate have been changed. The old cans have liver, meat broth, meat by-products, chicken. The new cans have chicken broth, liver, meat by-products, chicken, fish. The rest are the same except potassium chloride is removed from the new cans.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed their cats snubbing at Fancy Feast.
My cat did, but it was a few years ago. For about 6-8 weeks, she was eating some of 4 or so flavors of Fancy Feast Classic pates. Then, I had to top it with Fortiflora to get her to eat a little. She then would only eat the turkey and giblets and chicken and liver. I ordered a case of each and she stopped eating them. :gaah:Hence my signature. I recently tried giving her F.F. turkey with giblets pate again, but she wouldn't eat it.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they did change the formula or at least substituted an ingredient, probably for a cheaper import. The label wouldn’t change and they have no requirement to change the label for 6 months. If it is just an ingredient that is replaced by another deemed the same, they don’t have to change it at all.
Purina canning plants have received FDA warnings recently for their practices.

my cat will only eat FF Grilled Turkey in gravy. Now she won’t touch it and in fact runs away from it.

it seems that everthing with a best before date of 2019 or after if affected.

I have tried every month in these bb dates and they are outright refused. I give her an old tin with a 2018 date and she eats it right away. This is no coincidence.

Purina of course denies it and sends you coupons. But what use are they for something she won’t eat. This was all she ate, now there is nothing! Thanks Purina.
I hear you. My cat ate the liver & chicken classic pate. Now won't. Formula has changed. Old formula "liver, meat-by-products" were 1st. Now it's "chicken broth, liver, meat by-products". Plus they've added "fish". Cat won't touch it.
Used to really trust Purina don't now. She will eat ProPlan dry however.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hear you. My cat ate the liver & chicken classic pate. Now won't. Formula has changed. Old formula "liver, meat-by-products" were 1st. Now it's "chicken broth, liver, meat by-products". Plus they've added "fish". Cat won't touch it.
Used to really trust Purina don't now. She will eat ProPlan dry however.
This makes so much sense. My cat loved the grilled chicken and liver feast and he stopped eating it since 6-7 months. Perhaps it was the formula change.

sallychattin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding my various cats Fancy Feast wet in all the different flavors for a couple of decades now, yes I should have bought stock in the company long ago, but now NONE of them will touch ANY of the flavors. Even the alternate cats (ferals) don't want it, which is bad. I thought it was just my finicky crew of 7, but if the ferals don't want it, that says a lot nmho Was trying to figure out what the problem was, now I guess I know. As usual, something worked well so they fixed it.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive tried high end wet foods....n wet grain free wet foods...n my boy wont eat them...he still wants his FF GRILLED CHICKEN....so I guess could say im not having any problems....

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed a difference. What I do, though, is mix two types of FF together: Classic Turkey & Giblets with FF Natural Gourmet Chicken pate. My cats love them both and, so far, haven't lost interest.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my various cats Fancy Feast wet in all the different flavors for a couple of decades now, yes I should have bought stock in the company long ago, but now NONE of them will touch ANY of the flavors. Even the alternate cats (ferals) don't want it, which is bad. I thought it was just my finicky crew of 7, but if the ferals don't want it, that says a lot nmho Was trying to figure out what the problem was, now I guess I know. As usual, something worked well so they fixed it.
How long this has been going on? There could be a local problem if you buy them from the same town. Like maybe it got heated too much during the transportation.