Has anyone else been following this on CNN?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Earlier today, CNN had a reporter and camera on the spot while a group of people in Haiti were trying to get an 11-year-old girl out from under tons of concrete. Her leg was trapped, and since they didn't have the equipment they needed to lift the concrete, they were afraid they might have to amputate her leg -- but since they also had no blood to transfuse her with, they weren't sure she would survive such an attempt.

We had to go out to a therapy appointment for my mom, and we were thinking of that poor little girl the whole time, so afraid of what we'd hear when we got back. But it's good news! They did get her out, and although her leg is badly mangled, she still has it! She's being taken out of Port-au-Prince to some other place with better medical care available.

Hundreds of thousands of tragedies, but at least this one isn't as bad as it could have been. Thank goodness.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this as I got home - I can only pray that little girl gets the treatment she needs, and that aid can get through soon. Did you see Sanjay Gupta of CNN treating that little 15 day old baby....please God that she got the antibiotics she needs, and food and shelter.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending more mega prayers and vibes out to the poor people of Haiti and to those who are losing out on donations because people can only afford to donate so much, and Haiti's need is so great

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to turn off the news, it is too sad to watch. I started to cry and I turned it off...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I try reading the reports, I break down crying.
It's just so sad & heart wrenching.

What a horrible disaster. I sure hope it won't be as bad as everyone thinks it may be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I saw that little 15-day-old baby, too... such a tiny little one, so lucky to be cared for by Dr. Gupta, and to be, I'm sure, in so many people's prayers tonight.

Yes, it's all so hard to watch, especially since there's so little any of us can do to help. We're scraping together a little money for the Red Cross, and I'm going to donate blood tomorrow, but... it's so frustrating not to be able to go there and really do something.

I was very glad, though, to hear Bill Clinton (our special envoy to Haiti) talking about exactly what I've been hoping for: how the world community can help to rebuild Haiti right this time, with much stronger building codes, a reliable infrastructure, vastly better education, and an international trade plan that will allow them to develop a healthy economy in which their people can live decent lives. I hope it happens that way.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CNN just updated on the little girl that was trapped. Unfortunately she did not make it. Go with God, little angel. to her loved ones.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been watching CNN a lot during the past few days. It's soo heartbreaking, but I'm praying that all of the media coverage will draw more people to donate and help those poor people.

I felt soo blessed yesterday when I went to the doctors office. Events like this really make you think about all of the little things we take forgranted. I kept reminding myself how blessed I was to be able to see a doctor, when there are countless people over there who are dying from simple things because they simply can not get to a doctor in time. It's really heartbreaking. I'm just praying more aid and help gets to those precious people in a swift manner.

I was also saddened to hear that the little 11 year old didn't make it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just breaks my heart that she went through all that pain and fear for nothing.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Sending more mega prayers and vibes out to the poor people of Haiti and to those who are losing out on donations because people can only afford to donate so much, and Haiti's need is so great
Apparently someone around here donated $100,000. I am really broke right now, but I gave $2.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Apparently someone around here donated $100,000. I am really broke right now, but I gave $2.
That's still a meaningful donation! I saw a Red Cross person explaining that rehydration packets cost only seven cents apiece, and each one can save a life -- so you may have saved almost thirty lives!