harness

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
need a good harness for my cat that's not uncomfortable, any suggestions? I got one and she was wabbling around in it.. so I don't know if it was too small or what

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
A few questions! What type of harness did you try? How slowly did you acclimate her to wearing it?

If you can fit two fingers between the harness and your cat without it feeling uncomfortable, it's sized properly. Sounds like the typical reaction of a cat who had a harness put on for the first time. You just gotta take it slow and have a lot of patience (and treats!)

That said, for specific recommendations.

I started out with this Puppia harness in small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013N183G/?tag=thecatsite
In retrospect, I'd recommend getting their model that you don't have to put on over the head, that has an extra clip for that section, like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCLFTT4/?tag=thecatsite

I've since sidegraded to a lightweight H harness now that I trust my cat more outside, though I use it only in summer, so my girl is less likely to overheat. Can't link a specific brand, as it's of local make.

For winter, since my silly girl sheds her thick coat and walks around fairly naked, I have the Trixie soft cat vest in XL. She's still getting used to it, but I feel she appreciates the extra insulation when we're outside :> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029EWPP8/?tag=thecatsite

Vest harnesses are definitely the most secure, with wide band H harnesses like the Puppia in the middle, and lighweight H harnesses being the least secure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another problem is it takes me at least 10 minutes to get it on... she really hates me when I try to put it on, maybe they just arent for her, was hoping to get her used to one so I could walk her when the weather is nice or just explore.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I ordered one almost like that from amazon. It was a "Gauterf" cat harness in a medium and it didn't fit which was disappointing because i measured her. Was looking at the figure 8 harnesses to get her used to one since they are light weight and hardly noticeable.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally got her a harness that works and was able to take her on a short walk! I will be posting pictures later!!! She was hesitant at first but loved it after