Harness Training

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We brought Ziva home from a shelter at the end of July. It didn't take long to notice that she has little if any, outside experience. I decided to try and harness train her. I really did not expect success as she is 3+ years old and a Tortie. She has surprised me. She does not exhibit tortitude. She has a sweet personality.
The month of August, the harness and leash just laid on the floor near some of her toys. My plan is slow and easy.
September---We tried twice, a week apart to slip on harness. She seemed uncomfortable with the attempt and I did not push it. Our 3rd attempt, I lightly held her and slipped it on, but did not buckle the 2 behind the front leg straps. she only had on 3 mins before I removed. This gave me adjustment direction and indicated that she might submit instead of bite n scratch. A couple days later, harness is on completely and we adjusted some more. Gave her praise, treats and lots of petting. Harness back off after 5 minutes. Praise and petting always continues after taking harness off. The rest of the month, we slowly increased on time and added play to show her she can still move well with it on. We were up to 20 mins by the end of the month with the leash attached.
October---Our 1rst time outside, I carried her out. Did not take long for her to lead me back to the front door and we went back in after only being out 3 mins max. She was obviously afraid. I comforted her and we continued indoor training for another 15 mins. The next couple of times we stayed out 5 mins before coming back in and continuing activity wearing harness and leash. Our 4th time out, I still carried her out, but she was showing more interest in her surroundings. The next 3 times out, our outside time inched forward to near 15 mins and her stance improved. We had 2 big days last week. I did not carry her out. She went the door of her own freewill. She led me down the walk. She did bite at her harness on her first day in charge if we just sat too long. She seems to be familiar with this area we have walked multiple times now. We we out almost 20 mins before she decided it was time to go in. Big leap forward 3 days later. She was at the door like she was asking to go out. We put on harness and leash and she led me out. After doing the usual walk and returning to the front door, she declined to go in and repeated our usual walk. She did this 3 times. While we sat outside, she did not bite at her harness She groomed and groomed around it. We did make a little adjustment after last time. She is still a little skittish. Windy that day with some unfamiliar sounds. She did get to crouch and chatter a some birds in the shrubs. She smashed a grasshopper and investigated a wooly worm that scared her a little. Her stance this day is almost confident. She stayed out 45 minutes. This is a 30 minute leap forward. Now I just gotta keep this going as winter is beginning to find us.
IMG_6252.JPG
IMG_6391.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the training is going very well. I use the same method, limited exposure, pay close attention to what the cat is feeling and offer lots of support. Cats seem to learn best with a methodical, slow approach. Patience and snacks help too!

I believe that shared adventures like these forge a stronger bond between you and the cat. You learn a lot about them and they learn about you. Also, the cat learns to trust you more, which makes for a more enjoyable and meaningful relationship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks bengalcatman. Wx has been nasty last few days. I'm itching to get her back out. A little concerned how to keep this going during the upcoming cold months.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We brought Ziva home from a shelter at the end of July. It didn't take long to notice that she has little if any, outside experience. I decided to try and harness train her. I really did not expect success as she is 3+ years old and a Tortie. She has surprised me. She does not exhibit tortitude. She has a sweet personality.
The month of August, the harness and leash just laid on the floor near some of her toys. My plan is slow and easy.
September---We tried twice, a week apart to slip on harness. She seemed uncomfortable with the attempt and I did not push it. Our 3rd attempt, I lightly held her and slipped it on, but did not buckle the 2 behind the front leg straps. she only had on 3 mins before I removed. This gave me adjustment direction and indicated that she might submit instead of bite n scratch. A couple days later, harness is on completely and we adjusted some more. Gave her praise, treats and lots of petting. Harness back off after 5 minutes. Praise and petting always continues after taking harness off. The rest of the month, we slowly increased on time and added play to show her she can still move well with it on. We were up to 20 mins by the end of the month with the leash attached.
October---Our 1rst time outside, I carried her out. Did not take long for her to lead me back to the front door and we went back in after only being out 3 mins max. She was obviously afraid. I comforted her and we continued indoor training for another 15 mins. The next couple of times we stayed out 5 mins before coming back in and continuing activity wearing harness and leash. Our 4th time out, I still carried her out, but she was showing more interest in her surroundings. The next 3 times out, our outside time inched forward to near 15 mins and her stance improved. We had 2 big days last week. I did not carry her out. She went the door of her own freewill. She led me down the walk. She did bite at her harness on her first day in charge if we just sat too long. She seems to be familiar with this area we have walked multiple times now. We we out almost 20 mins before she decided it was time to go in. Big leap forward 3 days later. She was at the door like she was asking to go out. We put on harness and leash and she led me out. After doing the usual walk and returning to the front door, she declined to go in and repeated our usual walk. She did this 3 times. While we sat outside, she did not bite at her harness She groomed and groomed around it. We did make a little adjustment after last time. She is still a little skittish. Windy that day with some unfamiliar sounds. She did get to crouch and chatter a some birds in the shrubs. She smashed a grasshopper and investigated a wooly worm that scared her a little. Her stance this day is almost confident. She stayed out 45 minutes. This is a 30 minute leap forward. Now I just gotta keep this going as winter is beginning to find us.
View attachment 202844 View attachment 202845 View attachment 202846
:wave3: Great job! :clap::clap2: :rock:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
.............. A little concerned how to keep this going during the upcoming cold months.
Our Bengal Makena has a very fine pelt with little insulation, so he has to have a jacket in cool temps

We have two jackets for Makena - One plain fleece for mild days

The other a heavier fleece with a waterproof nylon cover for wind/rain and really cold temps.

When he was younger - he liked to hike in any weather. Now he generally prefers to stay in if there is rain, snow or temps below 45 or so. I am not sure if his tolerance is lower or if he has just has more patience and figures he will wait for a nicer day.

If the weather is bad for multiple days and Makena is getting frustrated, we take him to a Petsmart (big chain pet store that allows pets - not sure if they are down your way.) The store staff all know him and look forward to his visits. We take him early in the day (less people) and avoid days when there is dog training going on.

Cats are all so different, maybe Ziva will love the cold.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks dustydiamond1 and thanks again bengalcatman. Tonight when I got home from work, Ziva wanted out. We harnessed up. She seemed to not want the harness, but accepted and led us out. Just a little bit of light left and 39 degrees. She patrolled the familiar area and back in after only 7 minutes. When her daddy gets home, depending on which shift, the normal program is to eat, play, eat or just play. She was anxious to eat play eat, so 7 mins was just fine. After that she was ready to go out again, but it was dark. Play takes awhile lol. Think we'll try just short times outside in the cold as I'm not sure if she will go for a coat or sweater. We will eventually try a coat.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is that easy to put on? (Kitty holster)
We are currently using the come with me kitty. I'm not completely happy with the fit, but still making little adjustments.
Glad we went out last evening. We awoke to a little snow turning to rain this morning.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ziva did get out of it once early on when more adjustment was needed. Also early on, twice she tried to run off when scared, but harness snugged up and with such a short leash I was able to get to her and comfort her.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Is that easy to put on? (Kitty holster)
We are currently using the come with me kitty. I'm not completely happy with the fit, but still making little adjustments.
Glad we went out last evening. We awoke to a little snow turning to rain this morning.
I researched the 'come with me kitty' but read a negative review about a cat getting spooked, fighting it so bad that it locked and the cat got stuck, it sounded bad. Gypsys an ex stray and I was afraid that she would fight if it started getting too tight. The Kitty holster is easy to get on. I attached two photos of hers, one shows it from the top and the photo of the bottom shows how much velcro is on it to hold securely. You lay it on the cats back and fasten the velcro around the tummy and around the neck. I paid extra for a narrower neck since Gypsys is rather short. Glad you two got outside, take care.
cat jacket top -1.jpg
cat jacket bottom-1.jpg

Last edited:

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the views dustydiamond1. Better views than what I saw on chewy and a couple other places. Wonder if I can find a used one for cheap

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a Kitty Holster for Darwin. It only took a few days for him to be ready to wear it. My husband put it on him and then they both fell asleep in the recliner. When my husband awoke several hours later, Darwin was gone. My husband panicked, thinking Darwin might have tried to get out of the harness or gotten stuck somewhere. Then Darwin came strolling down the stairs, yawning, still wearing his harness.

We'd tried the standard harness but it was clumsy to put on and remove and he hated it. He loves his Kitty Holster. He's a big boy and I love that they offer various sizes. It's extremely well-made and the Velcro allows a custom fit. He starts purring as soon as he sees it. They even make a lined one for cold weather. We may get one of those since he's never been out in the cold.

As soon as the sun's up, he starts telling my husband to get up. If the walk doesn't happen as soon as he thinks it should, he starts making his sound for "walk" over and over in a voice that's like fingernails on a blackboard. That cat could put a fire engine to shame. He gets a ten-minute walk in the back yard. That's enough for him to make a patrol and check everything. He doesn't want to go out in the front. He's ready to come in and take a nap afterward. He's clearly a much happier cat now that he gets his daily walk.

To see more, visit

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the views dustydiamond1. Better views than what I saw on chewy and a couple other places. Wonder if I can find a used one for cheap
:wave3:You might. When I was deciding which kind to buy the ones I saw on ebay and Amazon were about the same price as a new one so I went ahead and ordered it new. I had emailed them and was told that if the size was wrong I could exchange with no problem. They are pricy but very well made and definitely worth the money, as I said before, I did pay $5 extra for a narrower neck. On their Web site they give a chart to decide what size. Trying to measure Gypsy was hilarious, she kept trying to play with the string I was using, I finally had to wait for her to go to sleep.When we first put it on and go outside she acts like it weighs a ton and can't move...until she sees something interesting to go check out.:p

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... We had 2 big days last week. I did not carry her out. She went the door of her own freewill. She led me down the walk. She did bite at her harness on her first day in charge if we just sat too long. She seems to be familiar with this area we have walked multiple times now. We we out almost 20 mins before she decided it was time to go in. Big leap forward 3 days later. She was at the door like she was asking to go out. We put on harness and leash and she led me out. After doing the usual walk and returning to the front door, she declined to go in and repeated our usual walk. She did this 3 times. ...
I love reading threads about harness-walking! Ziva is so pretty :redheartpump:

About the parts in blue that I highlighted from your comment, I've really found that my cat loves traversing the very same path each morning -- like it is her "haunt" or her territory. She has gotten very familiar with the particular smells on her certain path of walkies. The repetition of it gives her comfort.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
I have more to report.
Friday we went out. We went places she hasn't been to before. Everything was going very well. We had been out for 40 minutes when she went under my wife's truck. The leash went tight, bending 90 degrees around one of the front tires. Not sure if she freaked or if it was just being head strong, but less than the blink of an eye she was out of the harness. Luckily our place is a remote country setting and she is still too skittish to bolt off somewhere. I remained calm and went to the back of the truck and called her. She came to me after a couple minutes. I picked her up and we went inside. Spent my night researching. I now understand the mechanics. If they are behind you and the leash is taut, they can back out of any harness, but as long as they bolt forward, they are contained. I'm going to get the kitty holster even though I watched videos on utube of cats escaping them. Not only do we have cat training going on here, we also have owner training.
Since I'm a guy and color coordination is not my strong suit, what color holster would look good on a Tortie?
Stopped at the pet store today (Saturday) and explained what happened. Asked what we could do and confessed that I cannot find the receipt and I've had for almost 3 months. They said they have me on record and can issue a store credit when I return the come with me harness. Thought that was reasonable.
When I got home from work today (Saturday) she really wanted to go out. I adjusted the CWMK harness tighter than I've ever had it and we went out. I stayed real close and behind her. If she got too far forward it cinched up and she responded positively. She was super well behaved and I applied my lesson learned preventing any possible situation where she could back out by getting behind me and tightening the leash. We explored. Played with grasshoppers, grand daddy long legs, flies and nibble some good grass. She sniffed a crawdad hole and stuck her arm down it. This almost made me cry remembering how my number 1, a calico named Xena used to stare down crawdad holes for hours. Every once in a while I'd find pincers on the sidewalk which meant she had had a nice snack. Ziva did bolt forward one time to chase something in a flowerbed and the harness cinched up and halted her progress. Very proud of Ziva today. We were outside 77 minutes. A 32 minute increase over our previous best.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 203576 I have more to report.
Friday we went out. We went places she hasn't been to before. Everything was going very well. We had been out for 40 minutes when she went under my wife's truck. The leash went tight, bending 90 degrees around one of the front tires. Not sure if she freaked or if it was just being head strong, but less than the blink of an eye she was out of the harness. Luckily our place is a remote country setting and she is still too skittish to bolt off somewhere. I remained calm and went to the back of the truck and called her. She came to me after a couple minutes. I picked her up and we went inside. Spent my night researching. I now understand the mechanics. If they are behind you and the leash is taut, they can back out of any harness, but as long as they bolt forward, they are contained. I'm going to get the kitty holster even though I watched videos on utube of cats escaping them. Not only do we have cat training going on here, we also have owner training.
Since I'm a guy and color coordination is not my strong suit, what color holster would look good on a Tortie?
Stopped at the pet store today (Saturday) and explained what happened. Asked what we could do and confessed that I cannot find the receipt and I've had for almost 3 months. They said they have me on record and can issue a store credit when I return the come with me harness. Thought that was reasonable.
When I got home from work today (Saturday) she really wanted to go out. I adjusted the CWMK harness tighter than I've ever had it and we went out. I stayed real close and behind her. If she got too far forward it cinched up and she responded positively. She was super well behaved and I applied my lesson learned preventing any possible situation where she could back out by getting behind me and tightening the leash. We explored. Played with grasshoppers, grand daddy long legs, flies and nibble some good grass. She sniffed a crawdad hole and stuck her arm down it. This almost made me cry remembering how my number 1, a calico named Xena used to stare down crawdad holes for hours. Every once in a while I'd find pincers on the sidewalk which meant she had had a nice snack. Ziva did bolt forward one time to chase something in a flowerbed and the harness cinched up and halted her progress. Very proud of Ziva today. We were outside 77 minutes. A 32 minute increase over our previous best.
:wave3: You are doing great! I'm so proud of you two. The jacket on the youtube video I watched the cat escape out of was too big for the cat, there was way too much extra of the Velcro strap left unattached. Size is very important. I was unsure of getting Gypsy an extra small but it is exactly the size she needs. Go by the chart on their website. If Ziva has a short neck, go with the narrower collar if it's not then the regular collar should be ok. I had a hard time deciding on a color too, the blue denim turned out very well with Gypsys dark grey. The red of the harness you have now looks very nice on your girl. Does your wife have any suggestions? Have fun and keep posting your great photos. :catrub:
Here are a few more photos showing the fit of her jacket
201jacket head down wash pk70903_153301-1.jpg
jacket fit wash prk.jpg

Last edited:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you and Ziva are doing great!
Not only do we have cat training going on here, we also have owner training."
This is exactly true. And there is a lot to learn for both you and Ziva. It takes time, and every cat is different, so you wind up having to figure out what exactly works best for both you and the cat. I believe this is what leads to the stronger bond that I referred to earlier. The collaboration between you and the cat forces each to understand the other a little better, and the shared experience builds trust.

The fact that you "remained calm" when Ziva got free of her harness and the fact that she came to you speaks volumes. Cats won't approach someone who is nervous or agitated, or someone they don't trust. Ziva undoubtedly knew something wasn't quite right by the tone of your voice, but she came over, got petted and everything was okay: so she learned something too.

Since I'm a guy and color coordination is not my strong suit...
:lol::lol::lol: I figured Makena would look fine with a back harness. My wife Deb was mortified, "he looks SO good in red," so we had to special order a red harness. Deb is no slave to fashion herself, but god forbid she take her cat out into the woods in anything but the color that looks best on him :lol:

We ultimately went the other direction in harness size and fit: loose and easy to get out of.

Makena knows that he is supposed to have his harness on whenever he is not in the house and he does not want to do anything that interrupts his hike. He works hard to make sure he doesn't accidentally slip out of that harness. BUT he is allowed to climb trees and explore under thick sticker bushes and brush where he can accidentally get his line tangled, so he needs to be able to get free. He just trots back to us because he knows he gets a snack treat and praise. Practically speaking, this has only happened 6 or 7 times in 6 years of near daily hikes. Makena has also become better at avoiding getting tangled, he has been allowed in trees/brush now that we would have never let him go near in the beginning because they posed too high of a risk for entanglement.

He is about twenty feet up in this shot - if that line gets hung up I am NOT climbing up there!

At this point, Makena really doesn't require a leash/harness. But if he sees prey that he wants, he won't always listen to us, and we occasionally see rabid raccoons, so its a peace of mind thing.

Once in a while, in a safe place, we take the harness off so he can race and play at full speed.

Exhausted after playing chase with us, Makena catches his breath on a stump

In general "out of the house" means "I gotta have a harness on" to Makena. Even when he sits with me in my workshop, he has his harness on.

We are now training our kitten (June Bug) to walk on a leash. She has a long way to go, but it really helps when she can see Makena because she generally just follows his lead.

June Bug is not at all like Makena, she gets scared easily and she slips the harness when she gets frustrated. I am thinking we might have to get her one like dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 has, but she is growing so fast right now it wouldn't fit in a few weeks. Working with her is completely different than it was with Makena, much of experience with Makena does not apply to June Bug (other than time and patience.) I am not sure she will ever be as good on a leash as Makena is.

I guess I should add that Makena actually found June Bug while we were out hiking - he insisted on heading into some brush (close to a road that he knows he is not allowed to go near.) After years of hiking with him, I could tell that whatever he heard or smelled in that brush was urgent - turned out to be a 4-5 week orange old feral kitten..... Thread on finding June Bug