Harness training cat

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all.
So I purchased a lead and harness for my cat months and months ago. I put it on him occasionally, he always hated it lol. And I left it in the house so he could get familiar with it and realize it’s not anything to be scared of. I’ve been doing research about the best way to train a cat BUT last night my cat got out of the apartment. He’s been more and more curious about outside lately. When I put him back inside he started crying to go back out so I clipped the harness and leash on and let him explore the breezeway outside my door. For about 20 minutes we walked in the outside hallway and he smelled everything and led me to where he wanted to go so I let him. I tried giving him treats while out there but he didn’t want them.
Eventually we made our way down stairs onto the second floor. All was going ok until a person with a dog came outside. My cat got super scared and was running in circles and then once the dog was out of sight started walking very fast to where the dog had been. He seemed freaked out and stressed so I carried him back inside, played for five minutes and then fed him his meal and his calming supplement..

will it get easier with time if I do this everyday with him or do you think being scared of the dogtraumatized Him?All he wants to do is go outside. Until we move into our other unit with a patio in October this is the bestand safest way to let him out. Did I mess up! What can I do to fix it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had several cats who were harness trained. No one is currently, but the reasons have nothing to do with safety or a bad experience previously.

I assume from your post that you purchased a harness which is secure enough so that the cat cannot escape. The meeting with the dog could have been serious if he could have wiggled out of the harness and taken off.

It does not seem as if anything is lost or messed up. Possibly scout the area you are using and see who is around, who has dogs, when they take the dogs out, when do others appear not to be out in great numbers. If he is happy with your immediate area, confine yourselves there at first. Avoid dogs as that terrifies him and a cat on a lead and harness who is bouncing and pulling everywhere can be a difficult situation to control. Even if you grab him, he could inadvertently hurt you just out of fear (which did happen to me years ago when I picked up one of the nicest and calmest cats I have ever owned when a neighbor brought their dog into my house).

You are really looking out for his safety which is great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats who were harness trained. No one is currently, but the reasons have nothing to do with safety or a bad experience previously.

I assume from your post that you purchased a harness which is secure enough so that the cat cannot escape. The meeting with the dog could have been serious if he could have wiggled out of the harness and taken off.

It does not seem as if anything is lost or messed up. Possibly scout the area you are using and see who is around, who has dogs, when they take the dogs out, when do others appear not to be out in great numbers. If he is happy with your immediate area, confine yourselves there at first. Avoid dogs as that terrifies him and a cat on a lead and harness who is bouncing and pulling everywhere can be a difficult situation to control. Even if you grab him, he could inadvertently hurt you just out of fear (which did happen to me years ago when I picked up one of the nicest and calmest cats I have ever owned when a neighbor brought their dog into my house).

You are really looking out for his safety which is great.
I’m going to start trying to take him out whenever he sits by the door and meows so that way he associates outside with the harness. He scratches and nipped at me when I put it on but once it was on he walked just fine. Just seemed super curious and a little stressed as he’s never even been outside besides on a patio at my old apartment. There are lots of people and dogs around the complex so I’m hoping taking him out at night will help me avoid that as much as possible while he’s still getting used to everything. Once we move he’ll be able to freely go outside in the courtyard explore but I figure getting him used to the harness will help familiarize him with the sights and sounds/smells of the area first. Plus I’ll be able to take him on longer walks eventually. Hopefully. This was the first time we’ve done this so I didn’t expect it to be perfectly smooth... I guess I’m wondering how long it will take for him to get more comfortable with walking around out there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Going outside on a harness is huge stimulation for a cat and going slowly will probably be the best thing. Don't aim for the walk around the block but just get him out in your general area so that he can start to process what is going on.