Harness or Collar?

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been debating on whether or not to switch my cat, Oliver, to wear a harness instead of a collar. Why? Because I found that's it's... kinda useless to have a collar on a cat that, say, escapes your home and gets lost. A collar is dangerous as well, since it can snag onto something and choke them. But there are breakaway collars, which help the choking issue, but still aren't that great imo. If it snags onto something while your cat is lost, or somebody tries to grab it, it'll fall right off onto the ground, along with I.D tag. :/

So I thought a harness may be better, especially if he happens to get lost. I think a bright harness is something to catch somebody's eye if he goes missing rather than a small neck collar.

Anyways... I've had some concerns that tie in with his natural behavior. Is a mesh harness, like this one, uncomfortable for them? Does a harness interfere with their grooming at all? How can I make my cat feel safe and secure while wearing it? Another concern I had was that if the harness snags onto something, will it choke him? Are there any harnesses (or something else all together) that don't clip around the neck? 

Thanks... 

camillaray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the breakaway collar is the only way to go if cat is going outside alone. On a leash, I much prefer the harness - it is much more secure. Others may know of other options, but I would be afraid your cat would get hung or trapped in the harness.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, have your cat microchipped. Then, get a breakaway collar. If the collar does break away, then you have a backup. A harness is really only good for use with a leash. I take Mingo for walks with the harness and leave the collar on. I agree that the harness is likely to get caught or hung up on something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

First, have your cat microchipped. Then, get a breakaway collar. If the collar does break away, then you have a backup. A harness is really only good for use with a leash. I take Mingo for walks with the harness and leave the collar on. I agree that the harness is likely to get caught or hung up on something.
yes, he's already microchipped however, i'm afraid someone won't take him in somewhere to get scanned. we have so many ferals around, i also fear that he'll be looked over since finding an outside cat isn't something new. at least with a harness on, he'll be distinguishable from the rest of the stray cats, y'know?

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A harness would be dangerous if he is outside alone. It could catch him up on something and trap him. This could lead to him starving or being completely at the mercy of predators. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will have him scanned. I took in a stray and after 3 days, contacted Animal Control, who had a Lost report on her. I planned to have her scanned if that didn't work out, but it did. Rescue groups, vets, and animal controls all scan to see if there is a chip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will have him scanned. I took in a stray and after 3 days, contacted Animal Control, who had a Lost report on her. I planned to have her scanned if that didn't work out, but it did. Rescue groups, vets, and animal controls all scan to see if there is a chip.
i really do hope so. thank you for your reply.

momofateen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat can get out of a harness as well.definatly breakaway collar. My cats are in doors Oliver loves car rides he decided one say he wanted on my lap instead of his own seat and got out of the harness and decided my lap was better. I think I am going to make one for him for car rides.