Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

harness for a fat cat

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by elliriyanna, Nov 21, 2014.

1. elliriyanna

elliriyanna Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

May 6, 2011
    My Emma has long since Outgrown a cat harness ... but i don't know where to go from here for her. She is harness trained and has been in a carrier only twice in her life ( her first vet visit and the day we brought her home) 

Plus lately she wants to run outside and explore and I thought maybe if boyfriend took the cat for a walk while I took the dog for a walk that may ease her urge to run and explore. 

There are so many types of harnesses ... I love my puppia ( for my dog who doesnt understand he needs air) but I worry with cats body differences a small dog harness wouldnt work. 

2. zoneout

zoneout TCS Member Super Cat

Apr 14, 2013
    Stamford, CT USA

3. elliriyanna

May 6, 2011
    Emma is just very fat. Its been an ongoing issue. Thanks for the harness idea. I just have to convince my boyfriend that a cat on a harness is great for her not cruelty. 

4. zoneout

Apr 14, 2013
    Stamford, CT USA
    She is not being free fed kibble I hope

5. elliriyanna

May 6, 2011
    No I have never free fed anything. She gets a certain amount of kibble in the morning and a can ( 3 oz ) at night. Switching her over completely to canned did not go well . So I am still working on a plan to get her onto a better diet. 

6. zoneout

Apr 14, 2013
    Stamford, CT USA

7. elliriyanna

May 6, 2011
    This thread really is not about her weight, just about finding a harness for her. 

8. zoneout

Apr 14, 2013
    Stamford, CT USA
    Well like I said, I have a huge 20 lb ragamuffin and this harness works well for him.