harness/collars

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can i get my cat used to collar/harnesses. She tries to play with them like they are toys when i try to put them on, and with the collar she tries to get it off half the time. I've made progress with the collar as she leaves it alone most of the day. I would like to be able to take her outside.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just takes time.....my Chrissy would fall over on her side like she was stunned and couldn't move when I put her harness on at first. It took about a week or two to leave it on longer and longer during the day. same with the collar. they DO get used to it, just like with everything else with cats it takes a while for them to get used to it. Any collars make sure are breakaway, so they don't hang. that is one of the most tragic things imaginable. my little Houdini ended up with a figure 8 harness after escaping every time from the others. It actually tightens as they try to get out, usually backwards. NEVER take a cat with a harness far away from familiar territory. You'd be amazed how fast a cat can get out of a harness when a big dog is coming!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just getting my kitty to adapt to the harness, so when the good season comes, I'll be able to walk her outside.
I started with putting the harness on, with no lead. Well, I couldn't believe it, she didn't even realize she had it on. She kept playing, eating, even sleeping with that thing on for hours. I tried on different days, and she is reacting very well.
Other cats I tried, they would just drop like dead on their sides.

I think it depends on how tight they are on them. Same with collar, but in this case it is way better that the collar is tight (not to the point to choke them) rather than loose.

Freya_20210214_Harness.jpg

Here she is with her new harness on the first day of training
As you can see, she's doing business as usual :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just getting my kitty to adapt to the harness, so when the good season comes, I'll be able to walk her outside.
I started with putting the harness on, with no lead. Well, I couldn't believe it, she didn't even realize she had it on. She kept playing, eating, even sleeping with that thing on for hours. I tried on different days, and she is reacting very well.
Other cats I tried, they would just drop like dead on their sides.

I think it depends on how tight they are on them. Same with collar, but in this case it is way better that the collar is tight (not to the point to choke them) rather than loose.

View attachment 371286
Here she is with her new harness on the first day of training
As you can see, she's doing business as usual :lol:

Off topic but your kitty is absolutely adorable!!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty took several weeks to get used to the harness and I was sure she never would. She acted like a zombie in it, just staring into space or moving very very slowly. But now she's a champ. We just had to practice for short periods every day (including by bribing her to move by dangling treats). She still dislikes it and protests when I put it on, but she knows she doesn't get to go outside without it. I use the Kitty Holster, which velcroes under her neck and stomach. I tried one that required her to step into it and there was just no way she was doing that. With the kitty holster, you can drape it over her before she knows what's what.