Harness and Leash ?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I went online to order 2 harness and leash sets and now I’m overwhelmed. My 2 boys are almost 6 months old now and I want to be able to take them outside for supervised play. Whisper is 8.4 lbs and X-Ray is 6.1 lbs. It would be nice if my choice would allow them to keep using them as they grow. My initial thoughts after looking online is that the wrap around harness seems more secure. Then for the leads , a simple leash? Retractable lead? I even saw one with a bungee cord section on the end . Any help from experienced users would be Greatly appreciated kitties are wanting outside time badly and are very vocal about it!

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats have always been taught to walk on a leash. I like regular leashes and H harnesses. Everything else never worked. Cats are clever!

If you can find an H harness that still has metal buckles where things are adjustable, that'd be best. I have one of those and one of the more modern ones with plastic at the points of adjustment. I really trust the old metal one more. Your cats sound young and of a decent weight - I'd look for one with metal buckles.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats hate harnesses with all their hearts and I’ve given up. One actually enjoys the kitty holster. It’s a good harness and easier to put on. Also seems comfier for the cat than other harnesses.

http://www.kittyholster.com/

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used both retractable and standard leashes. I like the retractable because it allowed me to sit down in the grass while Isabelle walked around, and I could press the button to stop the cord from getting longer if I did not want her getting into something that she was approaching. Although, if you are taking both out at once and holding both leashes, it may be easier to control them with a standard leash rather than retractable, although I do not have personal experience supervising 2 cats at once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice It’s much appreciated!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:(. I've got three cat 'walking jackets' and leashes but have been pretty much totally unsuccessful in getting my beasties accustomed to wearing them.

Or at least, they were sort of OK (but secretly think I'm trying to murder them) with being wrestled into them but flipped when I added the leash...

We've never got as far as actually getting outside lol!!

Here is the cat circle - I think they've watched too much Supernatural :). :)

20190423_153006.jpg

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How cute! They are beautiful. I’m thinking of trying the jacket style too. Fingers crossed

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The jackets are great, the ones I got fasten by means of two velcro straps, one around the neck and one around the torso. Sturdy and don't put pressure on any one area. Only disadvantage of this is that the straps become a toy to bat at with sharp swipey claws ... Lol

I did find this article helpful but suspect I didn't persevere enough with it. Perhaps I should start again :)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I was limited to figure 8 harnesses or shoelaces the last time I leash trained a kitten, so I understand your frustration: all these wonderful goodies but nothing comes in kitten sizes!

So Willow started with a shoelace tied in a figure 8, slipped it, and never even noticed. She was still a sling baby then. I took her to the locally owned pet supply store for a ferret harness since Petco didn't have any.

She started with a medium, wore it 24/7 and never slipped it. Literally never. She can still wear a large and I feel that it is still safer than her size XS Kitty Holster that I can slip three fingers underneath.

They aren't pretty and they don't say "cat" on them, but they are safe and inexpensive. The leash that comes with the ferret/rat harness is stretchy, like a bungee, and I like that very much for a kitten but see now why it would have been a bad idea for a dog.

I've taken her out in the forest on both a 4' and 6' stretchy lead and ultimately decided that i prefer the 4 foot, even though it does mean that I have to be more attentive and sometimes even climb into places I wouldn't ordinarily go. I am so glad I decided not to leave Willow behind.

I've leash trained older cats before, even my childhood kitty, a senior citizen who had a lifelong phobia of the outdoors before we became homeless. You get some strange looks from humans, but it is so worth it.

Your boys are a great age to start leash training.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will check out the ferret harness. Would be great to save on the cost. Not sue if my kitty’s are too big They have really grown fast Thanks so much for the idea

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glittercat Thanks so much for the article and videos I’m so excited to get started

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just started Oliver with leash walking in my yard, he has the material type that wraps around him...Im just hoping he doesnt make fusses to go outside cause I hate pesker meowing...meow meow meow meow x1000

Hes very very happy walkin and running on the grass, he wants to eat all the grass
You should see him go when he spots a lizard

Oh and I dont let the door be the representation of leash walking...I carry him to his stroller out in the washhouse and from there he gets into the harness....

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I thought my Willow was a door darter. Fortunately, my laundry room doubles as a "mud room". I was laughing at myself for having a microcosm of the double-doored entry that responsible owners of exotic pets might pay big bucks to install on their homes.

What a letdown to find out that all my little housepanther wants is to sit on my shoulder and sniff the fresh morning air when I let the dog out.

:lol:

She also just plain doesn't like to be left out. This would have been a majorly annoying pester-kitty for a family with young children or even a young college student with a busy social life.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well when Allie sees me walking Oliver she screams bloody hell murder, even if shes in her outdoor tent...Allie is nimble, super fast, finicky and slim, and is a predator aka the white tornado and I can barely catch her in the house when she doesnt want to be...I dont know if I should take her out to, would you?