Hare Today Voluntary Recall

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Posted on FB an hour ago:

Dear Valued Customers (please share to bring awareness),

I start this newsletter with a heavy but determined heart. As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently targeting Raw Pet Food Manufacturers and Poultry products in particular. This is apparent if you visit the FDA’s website on Raw Pet Food, and I encourage each of you to do so in being informed consumers.
I would also suggest that you view the big picture, from all perspectives, and encourage you to review these additional resources, which I believe, help illustrate the most recent recalls and targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers:

Don't Believe These Experts' Myths on Raw Pet Food
https://www.avma.org/News/Issues/recalls-alerts/Pages/pet-food-safety-recalls-alerts-fullyear.aspx

Just a few weeks before Christmas, we had an unannounced inspection by the FDA. During our inspection ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow’s Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs was collected, along with ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of the Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs.

On December 15th we received our full analysis lab report on our Ground/Chicken/Bones/Organs, and it was reported that Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono) was detected in one (1) of two (2) composites tested and Salmonella was detected in one (1) of one (1) composite tested. No E. Coli detected in ten (10) of ten (10) subs tested. I did not receive any reporting on our Rabbit, but was informed by the FDA that there was no pathogens discovered.

Let it be noted that the Federal Register regarding Salmonella [9 CFR 310.25(b)(1) Docket No. 04-026N] states that the performance standard by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), USDA (percent positive for Salmonella), which is the Human grade standard for Ground Chicken is 44.6%. This is the baseline standard which guides the testing of Ground Chicken, in this instance. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/c...3d2-a97e-e6c850fd67bc/04-026N.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This fact points to a misleading standard held by the FDA for commercial Raw Pet Foods, which is a higher standard then what is set by USDA-inspected meats (Human grade). In fact, the FDA’s Industry guidance #122 suggests using USDA and FSIS inspected meat/poultry, passed for human consumption, which we did in the instance of our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs product.

I believe it is important to reference the Federal guidelines which illustrates the baseline standard for Ground Chicken. I agree with the Federal Government taking swift action against products that are unsafe or adulterated, but also that the Federal Government should not take any actions to impose unreasonable regulatory barriers.

It is important to remember that our cats and dogs are carnivores. And as such, they are built to consume raw meats, and they have a much shorter digestive system compared to humans, making them much more tolerant to foodborne pathogens. Of course, it is also important, and part of consumer responsibility, to keep Safe Handling of Raw products a high priority, especially when valuable populations are at hand.

Shortly, I will be issuing our first ever “Voluntary” Recall, which is on our Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs which is identified by the processing date of 12.04.2018 on the back of the product bag. More information to follow. I use quotes around “Voluntary” as I feel as though I was bullied into not being able to disclose all facts which included the Federal Register referenced above, and also the additional resources I provided in this newsletter, which point to the targeting of Raw Pet Food Manufacturers by a certified Veterinarian.

The Raw Pet Food industry needs a public outcry and I believe that the FDA should not be imposing stricter barriers on manufacturers. This experience has been an eye opener for me, and I will continue to advocate for Safe Handling of Raw Meats but also Species Appropriate Diets for our fur babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update

Hare Today Gone Tomorrow Voluntarily Recalls
Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ Raw Supplemental Pet Food Lot#12.04.2018 Because of Possible Contamination Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes Contamination

Date: January 16, 2019
Contact Information: Consumers with questions may contact 800-640-3582, Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm EST.

Hare Today Gone Tomorrow of Springboro, PA, is voluntarily recalling lot#12.04.2018 of Ground Chicken/Bones/Organ raw supplemental pet food due to the possible Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono) contamination. This product is identified as “Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs” on our website.

Salmonella and L. mono can cause severe and potentially fatal infection in both humans that handle the pet food and the animals consuming the pet food. There is a risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surface exposed to these products. Pets can be carriers of the bacteria and infect humans, even if the pets do not appear to be ill. Once Salmonella and/or L. mono gets established in the pet’s gastrointestinal tract, the animal can shed the bacteria when it has a bowel movement, and the contamination will continue to spread.

People at high risk for Salmonella and L. mono include the elderly, people with weakened immune systems and certain chronic medical conditions (such as cancer), and pregnant women. Healthy people infected with Salmonella and L. mono should monitor themselves and their pets for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product or pets that have consumed this product should contact their healthcare provider. Pets with Salmonella and/or L. mono infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected, but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

The affected products were nationally distributed and shipped via direct delivery. and are identified with the following processing date located on the back of the bag.

Type Product Description Processing Date
Raw Pet Food Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs, 1lb, Fine Ground 12.04.2018
Raw Pet Food Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs, 2lb, Fine Ground 12.04.2018
Raw Pet Food Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs, 3lb, Coarse Ground 12.04.2018
Raw Pet Food Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs, 5lb, Fine Ground 12.04.2018

The cause of the recall:
This recall was initiated after samples collected and tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) tested positive for Salmonella and/or L. mono.
The FDA inspection was partially initiated in response to a consumer compliant involving a sick kitten that ate this product and from which Salmonella was isolated from the feces. The Salmonella from our Ground Chicken supplemental pet food was compared to the Salmonella isolated from the sick kitten and it has been confirmed that the Salmonella is not a match. It is also noted that the pet owner was feeding non-raw pet food products to the kitten.
Ten (10), one (1) lb. packages of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow’s Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs were collected. Salmonella was detected in one (1) of one (1) composite tested.

Hare Today Gone Tomorrow is voluntarily recalling this product lot as a commitment to consumer and pet health and safety.

What to do:
Consumers are encouraged to check for the affected lot#12.04.2018 of any Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs and stop feeding it to your pets. The Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs products with the noted lot# should be photographed (with lot# included and quantity on hand) and emailed to [email protected] for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact 800-640-3582, Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm EST.

This recall is being made with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear FDA,

Let it be known that us raw consumers will never stop feeding raw. You can try to shut down as many raw pet food companies as you can. But, we will never feed the big box store brands that you want us to.

Sincerely,
Cat Lady

Cindus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After what happened to Rad Cat I was worried HT might be on the hit list too. If they're forced to shut down, I won't have any choice but to go back to canned food, including for my suspected IBD cat. I'm speechless.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
From the post:

The FDA collected this sample while following up on a consumer complaint in which a kitten became sick with Salmonella after eating the recalled product. The specific lot of Hare Today Gone Tomorrow Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs that the sick kitten ate was not available for testing. The FDA collected samples from lot 12.04.2018, which tested positive for both Salmonella and L. mono. Although the Salmonella isolated from the feces of the sick kitten did not match the strain found in the product sample, Federal law requires that all pet food not be contaminated with pathogens, including Salmonella and L. mono, because of the potential impact on human and animal health.
Very interesting how the FDA was quick to jump on this case without definitive evidence that the salmonella came from Hare Today and yet there have been other cases of sickness in cats and dogs from commercial kibble over the past several years that the FDA has yet to even investigate.

:rolleyes:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recall is canceled now!

Recall Canceled due to Compromised Product Samples and FDA Announcement

Most importantly, I would like to mention that no people or animals are sick due to the alleged product lot #12.04.2018.

Within the FDA announcement they mentioned that "Federal law requires that all pet food not be contaminated with pathogens, including Salmonella and L. mono, because of the potential impact on human and animal health."

It is also important to mention that according to federal law (21 CFR Part 211) receipt and storage of components must be documented in sufficient detail the receipt, identification, storage, handling, sampling, testing, etc. and such written procedures shall be followed. Components ... shall at all times be handled and stored in a manner to prevent contamination.

Very recently the FDA was successful in shutting down a very reputable company and Rad Cat mentions in their October 8, 2018 blog that “Temperature abuse of raw food samples used for regulatory action is condoned by regulatory agencies and the FDA”. With this knowledge, I asked the FDA for specific information regarding temperature of the product, at time of receipt by the conducting laboratory. Also, I had asked them to provide me the temperature at time of testing. This information was not in the Laboratory report I was provided. At least, not that I had seen, which is why I asked the question. The FDA could not answer my questions and I also noticed that no government seals were on our products when the laboratory received them. This points to the fact that our products were compromised and any results are null and void.

This has been an eye opening experience for me in many regards, and I will continue forward in prayer while advocating for a species appropriate diet for our domesticated carnivores.

What should you do if you received the alleged contaminated product?
As always, I encourage you to follow the safe handling instructions as listed on the back of our product packaging and also to be a well informed consumer regarding raw feeding.
Here is a helpful article: Don't Believe These Experts' Myths on Raw Pet Food
If you have any uncertainty regarding lot #12.04.2018 and have quantities on hand, we are still honoring a full refund if you choose to dispose of the product. Please email a picture of the product dates along with all quantities to [email protected] if you would like a refund.