Hare Today Out Of Rabbit

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Good question. I used the last of my HT rabbit and decided to buy some Small Batch ground rabbit (Small Batch rabbit blend, it’s called) from my local independent pet store, but they said they were out...and hadn’t been able to get more. They said Columbia River and another raw company—I can’t remember which one—were out as well. Doesn’t that seem odd? Have rabbits stopped reproducing?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trying checking your local Farmers Markets. They may raise/sell them whole, without the head and fur. Be prepared for sticker shock $$$$

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something about a rough winter. All they had was boneless so I’ll mix that with pork/bones/organs. Hare is working on getting dressed rabbits but i dont grind my own.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Our local specialty meat market sells whole frozen rabbit. Hypocritical, perhaps, but I can’t bring myself to deal with a frozen bunny.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our local specialty meat market sells whole frozen rabbit. Hypocritical, perhaps, but I can’t bring myself to deal with a frozen bunny.
I don’t grind bone grinds. I really would prefer my rabbit in a chub. I’d need a professional grinder and I don’t want to do that. I’m not ready for that step.

A quick note on frozen rabbit. Unless you wanna feel like you’re on game of thrones you would want a whole dressed rabbit. Ironically dressed is without skin and intestines. You hand me a rabbit I’ve gotta clean it.:barfgreen: I’m passing.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t grind bone grinds. I really would prefer my rabbit in a chub. I’d need a professional grinder and I don’t want to do that. I’m not ready for that step.

A quick note on frozen rabbit. Unless you wanna feel like you’re on game of thrones you would want a whole dressed rabbit. Ironically dressed is without skin and intestines. You hand me a rabbit I’ve gotta clean it.:barfgreen: I’m passing.
I hear you! The frozen rabbits are naked (no fur) but otherwise everything appears to be there from ears to feet, just a pink bunny curled up as if asleep. I haven’t looked too closely.

I’ve used the two-pound chubs of ground rabbit from Small Batch in the past, but that’s what seems to be in short supply. It’s meat, organ and bone already in a 80/10/10 ratio.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hear you! The frozen rabbits are naked (no fur) but otherwise everything appears to be there from ears to feet, just a pink bunny curled up as if asleep. I haven’t looked too closely.

I’ve used the two-pound chubs of ground rabbit from Small Batch in the past, but that’s what seems to be in short supply. It’s meat, organ and bone already in a 80/10/10 ratio.
It sounds like the rabbits had a hard winter. Im changing blends to make due.

Most I’ve seen have no head or feet. Yeah I’ll just make due and hopefully it’ll be back in stock in a month

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like the rabbits had a hard winter. Im changing blends to make due.

Most I’ve seen have no head or feet. Yeah I’ll just make due and hopefully it’ll be back in stock in a month
I would have made a poor pioneer woman. I find it hard to consume anything I’ve established eye contact with. :)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have never cared for my food staring at me. :flail: Shrimp, fish or such I don’t want it staring at me. I would be with you. I could see it now “let me guess we're having nuts and berries again" "it was staring at me" "it's dead" "that almost makes it worse":crackup:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Waaay off track, but years ago when I was a teenager, my family was vacationing in Maine. We stopped at one of those wharf-side places where the lobsters are in the tank and you point to the one you want. I pointed and the lobster climbed onto its buddy’s back, raised its beady lobster eyes out of the water, and waved its claws at me. I had clam chowder. Nice and anonymous. Never met ‘em, wasn’t introduced. :lol:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fascinating. I've never seen them 100% OOS on the rabbit blend. I just ordered four months worth last month after the 1 lb chubs were restocked.
My boys like the Small Batch chicken sliders when I don't have their rabbit and turkey made. Their rabbit SB are too low in calories for our routine.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FYI I placed an order with WeFeedRaw including rabbit, and it's being delivered today. No shortages of rabbit in Maine, apparently.

I hope my cats are happy with their food. Their pre-balanced chicken and turkey, better packaging, and 25 lb shipment sizes will make my life so much easier. The rabbit is pricier than HT though, even with HT's recent price increases.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WeFeedRaw report: I got my shipment exactly on schedule. I really like the flat non-leaking packaging, and the food looks beautiful with no gamey smell. So far I've fed my cats the turkey (hesitant), chicken (liked), and rabbit (LOVED). My cats are used to Hare Today and Nature Variety medallions, and have resisted previous attempts at feeding meat from other sources, so I counted this as a success.

I corresponded with the company on their food composition. The chicken and turkey patties are made up following the 80/10/10 rule. This is fine for my cats but still may be too much bone for some cats. The rabbit, duck, and quail are whole animal grinds, so they are 15%, 24%, and 10% bone respectively. No answer yet on the pork patty, but I would guess this is also 80/10/10.

Overall this is a bit pricier than ordering from Hare Today and adding locally sourced meat, but it's a LOT more convenient and the price difference is only around $1-2/pound. Plus with the space-efficient packaging and 25 lb order size, I can get away without buying an extra freezer. The whole order fit into one freezer drawer in my counter-depth 30" wide fridge (a bit more than half of my total freezer space).

Be aware that you have to order ~2 weeks in advance, and there is always the possibility of further delays.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. I did find 2 other companies that had rabbit. One only had course ground. I'm apprehensive about a course grind. The second company sold dressed French rabbits but I'd need a grinder. The company above looks like a good option.

Thank you sophie1 sophie1 ! This is really appreciated.

sandyshores

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. I did find 2 other companies that had rabbit. One only had course ground. I'm apprehensive about a course grind. The second company sold dressed French rabbits but I'd need a grinder. The company above looks like a good option.

Thank you sophie1 sophie1 ! This is really appreciated.
If you have a NutraBullet, try putting the mixture in it and adding some water. I buy Hare-Today fine ground meat/organs/bones but am still scared of bones even in the fine ground. The NutraBullet did the trick for me, I can't feel the bones like I did not putting it in the NutraBullet. Maybe it will work on the course grind too. I just found this out a couple of days ago after I had already separated the meat in 1 cup containers and put in the freezer so I only did on cup worth, but imagine it would work on more than a cup in the NutraBullet. I'll find out on the next batch I separate into containers I guess! Hare Today doesn't seem to be out of rabbit that often, but I always order more rabbit when I order just in case as that's the only one they seem to sometimes be out of.