Hardwood Flooring And Cats?

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I would be adopting a persian cat home a couple weeks ago but I realized a couple things wrong with getting that specific persian, one of the main reasons being that I would be buying not adopting. So I will be adopting another cat soon and I was wondering if cats (specifically scottish folds) would do fine on hardwood flooring. I've heard bunnies and rabbits will get seriously injured if they are on hardwood so I just want to make sure cats are fine living on it because my whole house is covered with either hardwood or tile flooring and no carpet at all. I was also wondering if my cat would ruin the floor by scratching it or something of that sort. Thank you :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My house is hardwood with area carpeting under things like the couch to prevent scratching the floor. Never had a problem with the cats slipping or sliding around. It is, of course, possible for a cat to scratch the floor. I'd think mostly in jumping though so maybe add small area rugs under cat trees or at points your cat is more likely to jump. I have never noticed scratches from the cats specifically but my floor is a 60 year old wood floor, refinished every few years but it isn't one of those newer super shiny and the lightest scratch is an issue type, so a few more minor scratches aren't immediately apparent.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My house has mostly hardwood. Ruby's never had any problem with it, however, her claws do lightly scratch it. Not so much that you can see the scratches when you're standing up looking down, but if you sit on the floor, yep, there's tons of tiny scratches in the finish. My wood floor is also older, but I think maybe it has a thin finish which is easily scratched.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My whole house is hardwood flooring except for the kitchen and bathrooms and a rug at the litter box.

My boy is ok with hard wood. He doesn't scratch the floor but with all his running and speeding around the house, scratches are inevitable.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is all hardwood floors. Cats love it because tossed toys slide and roll great on it. I have never had a cat slip on the floors accidentally but definitely they sometimes slide on it on purpose.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now my kitten and I are staying at a place with all hardwood floors. She chases toys and slides around all the time, but not very far and she has never injured herself. I haven't noticed any scratches, but it's an older floor, I probably wouldn't notice slight ones.