Hard-to-play-with Young cat

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, so I could use some feline advice on this one. I adopted my kitty Echo when she was 4 months old and she's now about to turn 2 years old in just a few days. Of course, as a kitten she was wild with energy and would run around playing with me to the point of panting (got her checked to make sure all was ok, because I know that can possibly mean issues, but she's all good). Up until a couple months ago, she would still run around chasing a wand toy or running after toys when I played with her. This has becomes less and less interesting to her as time goes on.

Firstly, she caught her first mouse a couple weeks back and since then, has turned her nose up at whatever toy I make/buy/hide for weeks and bring back out. She has cried at me to summon the mice, but I can't for obvious reasons. The other thing is that my living quarters are small...so it's really two rooms and a short hallway between for running. So it's possible that is redundant to her and she's tired of it. I recently got some bird feeding stations set up outside the windows and she is obsessed with watching the birdies which is great mental stimulation but, no physical engagement. I think if she was an outdoor cat (she is not!), she would be a proficient hunter. But that is also why the games we try are "beneath" her, because she is quickly bored with a new thing once she learns it/sees that it's just me, her boring human, dragging it around the room or what not.

She will still get the zoomies a little bit most days, but not like she used to. I can't seem to get her to exercise or play and I'm a bit worried about that....in the long run I hope to build a cat wall situation and give her more vertical access, but does anyone have tips for getting a smarty-cat to be interested in playing? I have all sorts of toys from home made boxes with cut outs, wand toys of various types, balls that make noise, balls that don't make noise, spring toys that roll around all funny like, you name it. I have tried a bunch of things :( I know some will say to get a second cat, but I just don't have the finances or physical space to do that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Would you be able to take her for walks in a safe area when it's possible to do so?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had her checked out at the vet recently? Sometimes a low play drive means something else is going on. But if she gets the zooms, then she may also just be bored with the toys she used to enjoy. Have you tried a laser pointer? Even my (nearly) 16 year old still enjoys the laser pointer for a second or two even though she's lost interest in most other toys. In her case, she does have other things going on (suspected lymphoma), so I cut her some slack if she's not as interested in toys as she used to be.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie had some unknown virus where toys no longer interested her. She would just stare in space. She got over it in a few days. My other cat is interested in throwing small objects and landing in shipping trash. That would be different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had her checked out at the vet recently? Sometimes a low play drive means something else is going on. But if she gets the zooms, then she may also just be bored with the toys she used to enjoy. Have you tried a laser pointer? Even my (nearly) 16 year old still enjoys the laser pointer for a second or two even though she's lost interest in most other toy
I just brought her to the vet recently because Echo has been constipated more often lately from shedding and asked they do blood work (I'm in NY so we have to drop off our pets and can't go in with them) but, she didn't think it was "necessary". They just palpitated her and sent us home with psyllium supplement that I started recently. Her usual diet is low fiber so hoping the psyllium resolves any issues. She's been poo-ing well the last few days so I don't think it's constipation fatigue, she really just seems to find the usual games boring and doesn't get excited by them anymore. Her last blood work (at different vet) was a few months back. Earlier in the year in Jan or Feb I think and was told all was normal. I don't have a vet I fully like/trust 100% so I'm always constantly questioning if she's just bored or dying or something because apparently the difference in behavior is a fine line. I did not realize that when I got a cat.

She still wants to play, and asks to play, she just starts to play the games I come up with and seems quickly bored and gives up/gets distracted. She wants the birds or to go outside :( I can tell she wants to go chase them. She will run around a bit with me, play a little and merps playfully with me, I just don't know what is normal/healthy behavior/activity levels for a 2yo cat. I just know she is definitely less active than when she was like 1yr old, but not like she is sleeping all day.... so is that normal or a sign of illness and I need to insist the vet take blood to see if she is ok internally?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie had some unknown virus where toys no longer interested her. She would just stare in space. She got over it in a few days.
Wait, like an actual virus?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would you be able to take her for walks in a safe area when it's possible to do so?
So she is mostly harness trained, but still will get mad at me when I go to close the clip of her harness so I can only get it on with treats to distract. Once on her she's fine about it, but she gets angry when I put it on...thing is her usual vet never gave her rabies shot, and I'm still on the fence about doing so in fear she might have a bad reaction or develop sarcoma or something. She's had bad reactions to shots (a steroid and antibiotic back in Dec) and I'm terrified of harming her. She is also not on any kind of flea or tick prevention.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is also not on any kind of flea or tick prevention.
For this reason alone, I wouldn't take her out on walks. Fleas are a nightmare and can be extremely difficult to get rid of once they've hitched a ride back home on you or her.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For this reason alone, I wouldn't take her out on walks. Fleas are a nightmare and can be extremely difficult to get rid of once they've hitched a ride back home on you or her.
Yeah I have zero interest in having that issue! Sounds like nightmare. But no idea about flea/tick preventions and what is safe or risky.

When she was a proper kitten, she seemed so happy go-lucky and and fascinated by everything. I don't know what is personality evolution or like signs of something wrong. Like she was complaining at me moments ago. . . we've been playing and she's run up her tree a few times but perpetually seems dissatisfied with the game. Like she used to seem more happy in general, and lately she's just a bit...grumpy I guess. Her nickname is Lil Miss Spice because sometimes she is "spicy", but that could be a sign of boredom/depression so I want to figure out how to improve her enrichment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried real fur toys?

Maybe this would be helpful;

This link will take you to a site that has a search engine to find a cat friendly or a cat only veterinarian in your area.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to circle back and say thank you to everyone for the tips and super helpful links! I do think that something was "off" with my girl. This became more evident at the tail end of April and we went back to the vet. I insisted on blood work. Which they said was normal but some values were off or in the case of her kidneys, higher than last time's test in January (still within reference though). Waiting on Urinalysis results (tomorrow I should hear from vet) just to check on things.

In an abundance of caution, I removed one brand of food and the mercola probiotic I was giving. Reasons being, I saw a couple bad reviews of the food brand causing serious issues with kidney/liver or pancreas in two cats. Anecdotal, but I figured lets see what completely removing it does. I also got rid of the probiotic because I saw a vague review on chewy indicating it was bad. It contains two fillers: silicon dioxide and microcrystalline cellulose. I can't find anything definitive that says these things would negatively impact a kitty, but all I can say is since removing these two things she has returned to her self, knock on wood. I'm super happy about that.

She still gets a bit bored with the small space and limited toys, but I'm working in some cat nip (just don't want to do daily and wind up with her immune to it) and planning to do a cat wall with ikea shelves once I can swing it, to give her more vertical space since the apartment is small. But, she's got zoomies! I try to keep up with her. Until the cat wall can happen, new cat tree has been ordered, because I'm sure she will at least enjoy a second one around for her to romp on and run up.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart, thanks so much for the update! Hang in there with all this, you're doing great!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Echo is so lucky to have such a considerate companion :hearthrob:
For health issue I can't comment on but not playing as she used to be happened with minish as well around 2 years old. Not mice but she had the taste of catching real prey. It seems to have taken some of the joy of playing with toys. Maybe it's the age. But even if she sometimes doesn't want to play, minish appreciates my advances. After all she loves the attention too.
Minish gets short zoomies but even then she isn't interested in old games and toys. I feel compelled to find new ways to challenge her brain. If there is food involved she gets more excited. And sometimes she changes the games we used to play.
Some examples when minish plays like that crazy kitten she was:
Kibble hunt-placed in difficult places like on a shelf under a mat.. Even her puzzle feeders (balls or egg shaped things that roll) are better fun if placed inside other things instead of lying around. Penny under the cup game with kibble instead..
Boxes with holes-in a few days box loses its lure besides hiding inside. So I turn it to its other sides or open new holes. After that toss the box, no boxes for a while then a new one..
Old toys she hasn't touched in a long time appearing in unexpected places without a fuss
Toys I make for her as she watches the production while explained how great fun we will soon have
New pack of straws or other things that she likes hunting biting and kicking
An umbrella set up in the middle of the room or chair covered like a cave to be used in chase and tag games
A previously closed or full cabinet space she can now discover and play around with me
I strongly believe in this respect cats are like us. They love routine and the safety of expecting what's coming. But they also want a twist of novelty in things

Last edited:

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, update. Urinalysis came back ok, pancreatic Spec fPL test came back good, nothing that the vets could find that was wrong. I asked for tests to see results myself (I have major trust issues with vets) and she did have low neutrophils, high albumin indicating dehydrated at time of draw -which could be because she was 13 hours fasted since this was mid-morning appointment...her kidney SDMA + Crea were higher than last time which I strongly hope was just from the dehydration, especially the SDMA (was 7 in Jan and 12! April test) I don't know about the low neutrophils and this isnt the health forum section, I know...

Like I mentioned, she was her normal spunky energy after vet visit. This lasted about a week or so? And then the last few days, her energy has dipped again. I got the new cat tree, she does seem to like it, her energy was good this morning, but this evening she is low again....She gets really sleepy after eating and this lasts for hours. I used to feed her 2x per day, but 1/2 a 5oz can is quite the serving size for a cat and I've read it's more balanced for them pH wise to have smaller more frequent meals so I've settled on 3x a day. Been doing that for months, since at least February. I don't remember her dipping in energy so much for so long.

How do you know when it's behavioral vs health? Her appetite has been good, I haven't noticed her sitting uncomfortably. She's comfortably sprawled out on top of her new cat tree. Litter box things are going normal and well as far as I can discern. While she is 2yo now and not a kitten, it just seems more abrupt than simply being an adult cat? Since this has been noticeable energy dips for last month or so?

She does only see me now, whereas my (ex) boyfriend used to come on weekends and my best friend was living with us (separate room though) before Covid. She wasn't super fond of my bestie, but did like to actively not like her (if that makes sense lol!). I'm worried its more than behavioral, but don't know what to do with vets telling me all looks fine.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to know whether it’s behavioral vs health when labs don’t conclusively seem to rule out a health issue :/

So I would try several things, if it’s within your means to do so -

- Environmental enrichment.

You said you added a tree, and that’s great! It’s totally normal for cats to ignore something new, go through phases with it, etc.

Maybe try moving it around to different areas. I had a small tree for two years in three different spots that 20+ cats and fosters wanted nothing to do with... until I moved it to a certain area and then suddenly everyone was interested in it! I’ve now found two spots they’ll use it in. Cats are weird.

Have you thought of cat shelves? I’d recommend another tree, and there are quite a few with a rather small foot print, but with an NY apartment, shelves would probably be easier for you.

- Learn how to play!

Are you sure you’re playing “correctly”? Most people don’t, and this is usually fine for a kitten and even a younger cat, but the older they get, the more they need you truly mimic prey and also bring energy to the session (“get it kitty! Get it! You got it!!! Good boy/girl!”).

As an extension to this, really focus on how a cat hunts. They like to stalk and hide, so it can help to create a sort of obstacle course for them. Things like collapsible cat tunnels, the ripple rug, even a tarp, cardboard boxes, and packing paper.

This can help the environment seem new and allow kitty to stalk properly.

A key part is acting like prey though. I think Jackson Galaxy may have some videos on it... I know he touches on it in his show frequently, at least. But think about how a mouse moves along edges of the wall, that sort of thing.

- Toys

What toys do you have? The ones I’ve had the most luck with are Da Bird, Da mouse/Da Bee/etc, the Cat Dancer, the cat charmer, and this teaser wand -

Amazon.com : PURRfect Cat Toys Crinkle Bouncer Toy (Color May Vary) : Pet Feather Toys : Pet Supplies

This has been a recent hit for our 16 cat home -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082S9JJR8/?tag=thecatsite

Have you tried any automatic toys?

Always be sure to rotate too if you don’t already!

Now, as far as medical goes, you can always get s second opinion!

If I were you, I would at least get a full workup done in another ~3 months, just to keep an eye on those elevated values to see if they’ve gone up, down, or stayed the same.

I just want to add that you seem like a GREAT cat parent :)

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild I had a whole reply written and then my computer restarted 😩 Took me a bit to do this again sorry! Thank you. The vets seem to think the exam and blood work do rule out a notable health issue. I had the other vet I've been to look the blood work over and she didnt have concerns. I think partly since she is so young, they do not feel anything can be wrong. And I truly hope it's nothing and she is a happy healthy kitty. I've tried 3 local places, the most recent one is multi-vet so I've seen two there. I don't know where else to go, especially with the current situation and not being able to go in with her or even meet the vet in person. I'm debating taking her back for another CBC since its been a month now, but am worried she could bite someone and hate that I can't go in with her.

Environment
-She does have two cat trees now with the new one. It's this one from Chewy and while its out of stock now, it's awesome for the price and has a bed that properly fits a cat. It's not great for running up but the other one she can rage-run up easily. Then in the bedroom, she has an area to climb up on dresser, on to my snakes tank, then on to a higher set of plastic drawers to perch above all if she so desires. But my space is small so it's basically these two rooms, one zoomie path.

-I want to do a cat wall! I opted for 2nd tree first since it was such good deal and had big comfy bed. And now am out of money and if I might do blood work soon am holding off on anything unnecissary because the clinic we went to will only run blood as "wellness" on the bill so my insurance won't cover any of it :redtongue: :angrywoman:

-I do have two balconies and when weather permits it, i open the door so she can hang out and watch through the screen. I throw bird seed down, she gets invested in stalking the birdies that visit. She also has a perch by a window, and just outside at the inner corner of building we have a bird family that nests there annually. So she's always enjoyed that -though has been less interested in those things on mysterious off days and it's not really physical activity

Playing
-I hope I'm fairly good at this? She LOVED to play with me as a kitten. I always try to make the toy act like prey, slide slowly around corners, make a little noise behind something etc. She has kitty tunnels (used to love everyday, now barely interested), home made box forts with cut outs, 5-6 different wand toys, catnip filled small duck on elastic string, home-made things too. I do store most away when not in use both for safety and so she isn't always exposed to them. She was utterly obsessed with the one you linked, with all the wormy attatchments, and that has sadly faded last few months (especially after catching the mouse). Between 6months and around 1.5 years old that toy was her jam. She would yell at me for it, run after it etc. Changing color of wormy helped for a while, but now she won't chase after it much at all 😥 Hid it for weeks/over a month and still nope! Her most recent interests, which diminished within a day, were a bottle cap, new color of zip tie, and new color paper ball. Changing colors seems to help, ever so briefly. She just gets bored so quick! Even as kitten she was quick to perceive the trickery/falsehood of automatic toys. It's like she has to be in mood to pretend, or have pent up energy. I still worry if the days she doesn't seem to have pent up energy ....like if she feels unwell or I don't know.

She was chipper all morning/day, pretty playful and did a little bit of zoomies. But fed her snack/early dinner around 5pm and since 6-6:30 she's been sleeping pretty soundly (it's about 9:45 now). She will likely sleep past 10pm. Then she has also been sleeping through most of the night with me, and has still been in bed with me most mornings, sleeping in still most days. I'm not sure if that's normal type of schedule/amount of sleeping for a 2yr old

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can relate to your concerns about Echo. Minish is my first and only cat. Rescued from kitten, I feel responsible for her wellness, not only health, but also contentment and joy, since I have also confined her to apartment living which is not the best environment for a cat. But whatever we do, they are not always super active and happy. Nor were we when our parents did everything in their power..

Minish sleeps after meals day and night. There is a definite slowdown after 2 years. I think what happens as she is awake is more important. Minish sometimes has these periods, almost total disinterest. Sometimes she is so obsessed with what's outside (March-May) that she doesn't engage in what's inside. Sometimes she whines a lot, grumpier than my late grandma. Normally sleeping in the middle of human company, sometimes she finds sleeping hideouts where she appears only at mealtimes.sometimes she has a posture like the picture below which I fear is pain or distress.
posture cat.jpg

I think the operating word here is sometimes. Since Echo has no definitive health issue that requires urgent action, is active at least some part of every day, can have zoomies, no loss of appetite etc. I wouldn't be concerned too much. After all, our bad moods, worries, depression are also contagious to our cats, they are definitely affected by it.

Minish has periods of favorite kind of toys. 2 years she ran crazy after milkshake straws, yelled at me to throw them ahead so she could chase and try to kill. next year she didnt even touch one. past 6 months it was cue tips, she even stole a whole box when I wasnt home. now that's over too. She loves the game of chase but sometimes she only wants to be chased. Play preferences may change and I'm sure you and Echo will find new ways of fun.

There are other ways than play that engages our cats. Minish likes to be talked about and sang about, since she loves the indirect attention. She has a barstool I had trained her to stay on (lots of treats) so that she can participate in my kitchen activities. She is offered everything out of shopping bags or the fridge to smell, then watches me as I prepare human food. We make the bed together (takes much longer but so much fun). We exchange glances, we exchange hellos and meows, we touch base frequently even if she isn't eager to, she always responds in some way. I believe these things make her feel loved and cared for and that's what counts the most.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
minish minish Thank you so much for sharing. It's interesting to hear from other single-cat households. How old is Minish now? Echo did have a couple days in the last few months where she had that similar posture, it was part of what had me go to the vet. I think now my main concern is her kidneys, and if there is an early issue there or not. Her blood work from the last time we went seemed borderline (creatinine 1.9, her phosphorous was 5.2), but her USG was ok, at 1.032...I'm actually waiting for her to use the catch tray this afternoon so I can test at home with a refractometer. I can't shake the feeling that something is "off", but since I have trauma from the loss of our dog and thus never really feel relieved when a vet says "all looks fine no problems here" -I do wonder if I'm just being paranoid.

Today for example, she was actually quite energetic and woke me up doing the zooms and meowing for me to get up. But since giving her breakfast, she's been super low energy. For past 5 hours, if she gets up, it's to go lay down...and she's been laying down in some unusual spots too. In her carrier or under her tree vs on top, almost like she can't be bothered to climb up it....It's just strange for her. And it's like every day is a different pattern so I don't know what her "normal" is at this point and like you, she's my first cat. But she's only 2 and it seems like she is acting older than 2.... It was only a few months ago that she seemed pretty consistently energetic (of course did nap a lot, but playful when awake). So the timeline is part of why I get concerned as well. Just seems like a fairly quick change within 3 months time.

On toys, I'm lucky if I get her interested in a new one enough to run after it for a day at this point :/ after that she looses interest and at the moment there isnt a single toy out of the ones I have or have tried that she engages much with. She used to be such a playful kitty, so I feel sad and scared somethings wrong. I may chance bringing her back to a vet this coming week for blood work. I think I'm done dealing with her original vet. The other one we've been to in town is okay, but they will only put down blood work as "wellness" so I have to pay out of pocket even though I have insurance. Which is dumb, but I'd rather get her checked than not if things keep seeming off about her.