Hard swallowing and raspy puring

thagadorn23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old long haired boy started purring very raspy at the beginning of the year. The vet said it was a URI and gave him liquid antibiotics to which my cat detested the taste off and would not swallow, I told them vet but he said he needed that kind. It's been a few months and he is now swallowing very loudly and still very raspy when he purrs. His attitude is fine but I'm getting worried

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm bumping this up to see if other members have any advice.

Were you able to finish the antibiotics the vet gave you initially?

If you are worried about your boy, please return to the vet or choose a different vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could very well be nasal drainage. Any coughing fits, runny eyes, or sneezing?  My asthmatic kitty has a raspy purr and does that hard swallow when she's having a rough day.

Kylie1313

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is very old but came across this due to one of my cats having same symptoms. Did you ever figuring anything out?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A raspy purr is hard to figure out as it runs from being insignificant, through infections or irritations to the throat and larynx.

Laryngitis in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

It sounds as if the OPs cat had a URI but was very resistant to taking the medication. The suggestion of nasal drainage in #3 is also possible. Looking for other symptoms, how distressed the cat seems, can be a clue.