Happy

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think a lot of people on TCS will know Happy's story already. She was a kitten I found in a car park. She was dirty and skinny, but so friendly. I managed to pick her up and take her to my vet, then brought her home later that day.

Sick, possibly FIV+ Feral Kitten

I think someone must have been feeding her, but sadly she tested positive for FIV. Our vet warned us that she might not live very long.

Happy1_R.jpg

Happy just seemed delighted to have a home though.
Happy12_R.jpg

In her first year here she was spayed and then had surgery to remove almost all of her teeth. The FIV had led to gum disease, but once her teeth were gone she was much more comfortable. She started to put on weight and her dirty, grey fur grew soft and white.
Happy31_R.jpg

I made a little outdoor enclosure for her at first. I have a lot of other cats so wanted to give them time to get used to each other, but Happy soon won them all over and moved indoors.
Happy55_R.jpg

The other cats soon realised that she was queen. Even though she was tiny she could be a holy terror and none of the others dared to step out of line..
Happy44_R.jpg

And don't even think about taking her favourite spot in the sun.
HappyButton1_R.jpg

She made some very good friends though. She loved to snuggle with Albert.
HappyAlbert7_R.jpg

And Little Boy.
HappyLB1_R.jpg

And her very best friend, Sophie.
HappySophie8_R.jpg

In spite of the FIV she was fairly healthy. She would sometimes get gloopy eyes, but we kept this under control with medicated eye drops and cream. Then this spring she started to have more serious problems with her left eye.

FIV+ Cat Bleeding From Her Eye

We tried various antibiotics, interferon and steroids, but nothing seemed to help. Eventually we decided to have her eye removed. Tests showed that there had been a cancerous growth in her eye but the surrounding tissue was cancer free, so we hoped that would be the end of her problems. Sadly, just a few weeks later she developed another growth under her left ear. Because of her pre-existing condition the vet advised against any further treatment or surgery. The best we could do was to make sure she was pain-free and comfortable for as long as we could. We syringe fed her and gave her sub-q fluids and even though she grew thin and frail she seemed to still get some enjoyment out of life. A few days ago she even wanted to go outside and sit in the sun.

Happy135_R.jpg

At the end of November she suddenly became very lethargic and our vet told us there was nothing more we could do. She was given fluids and pain medication to keep her comfortable. On December 1st she slipped away. She died at home, in her favourite cat bed with Little Boy and Sophie sleeping either side of her.

It was a good life. It was a good death

She's buried outside in our cat enclosure. Soon the ground will be covered with snow, but I've planted bulbs so there will be new flowers in the spring.
Happy138_R.jpg

When I first found Happy the vet said she's probably only live for another 1 to 3 years, but she proved him wrong. Happy was with us for six years, five months and 21 days and every single moment of that was precious.

Happy39_R.jpg

Happy, my sweet, funny, feisty little girl. How did so much spirit fit inside one tiny cat? I feel blessed to have enjoyed so many days in your company and, even though I'm heart broken that you are gone, I don't regret a single thing.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh Happy.. So many of us remember when you rescued her from the car park and she's become a TCS family member. :redheartpump:
I had a weep as I read your beautiful testimony Norachan Norachan .

RIP Beautiful girl
You will be missed.
:greenpaw: 🦋:rbheart:🦋 :bluepaw:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am literally crying as I read. I can feel the sadness, and yet, I can also feel the love you have for Happy. You are right, she had a good life and that was because of you. Even until her passing you made sure she was comfie until the very end. I am so sorry for your loss. This post makes me so emotional, such a crybaby I am.

Happy is now happy running around an endless field of grass and blooms. She will be missed not only by you, but by the other cats as well.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking news. I feel like I know little Happy. We've been with her along her journey from the car park to the best home a cat could have. Rest in peace, sweet girl. You were loved by so many more people than you realized in life but I'm sure you know now. Watch over your family that you love so much.

If there's a perfect way to leave this life, it's fast asleep snuggled in between two cats. Happy had such a wonderful life. She will love you forever.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for your pain but rejoices in knowing Happy found so much love and family in being in your home. You gave her what she wanted the most in the whole world, a home and all the love that comes with it. She is at peace and her love resides securely in your soul for eternity. I'm so grateful that she got to die at home, surrounded by all that love and family, we all wish the same for ourselves and for those we love.
You literally saved her. You gave her 6 more years than she would have had. She is infinitely grateful and in return gave you one of life's greatest treasures, the gift of a cat's heart.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, especially in this, a holy, sacred time of the year, full of happiness and joy that will seem hard to grasp right now. Please know we are all so touched by your devotion and care for this special little girl. Take care and know she will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers..... RIP sweet Happy. You will be dearly missed, you will have secure places in loving hearts for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since I've been following your previous posts about Happy I am familiar with what you both went through. 🤗 You left no stone unturned in caring for her health issues and she loved you dearly for giving her a forever home. Now she is laid to rest in the sun amongst what will soon be a lovely bloom of flowers in the spring. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm sure Happy would have been very pleased to know she had people who cared about her all over the world. She was an awesome little cat and it's a shame that she didn't have longer here, but I know she made the most of the time she did have.

I was watching a video by Flatbush Cats the other day. (They do some great work, please check out their channel if you haven't already done so.)

There latest video is about rescuing a litter of kittens FeLV.

These kittens are only expected to live for about 6 years as well, the same as Happy. But even though they won't live as long as a healthy cat would they still deserve the best chance at life.

"There are plenty of special people too, ones who know there is no greater joy in life than offering a loving home to the overlooked, who understand that it's not about how much time we have, but what we do with it and who we choose to spend that time with."

I'm so grateful that Happy chose to spend her time with me. I'd do it all over again if I could.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Happy, dream you deep. You walk in more hearts than ever you knew existed, and forever.

I am so, so sorry, Norachan Norachan . You gave her six years of hearth and home and love. Cats live in a forever-now, so she lived, breathed, and had her being safe in your love. Not all are so lucky. And her sweet spirit is with you always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Bek.

:hugs:

I can't believe it's been a week already, I still keep expecting to see her.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm sure Happy would have been very pleased to know she had people who cared about her all over the world. She was an awesome little cat and it's a shame that she didn't have longer here, but I know she made the most of the time she did have.

I was watching a video by Flatbush Cats the other day. (They do some great work, please check out their channel if you haven't already done so.)

There latest video is about rescuing a litter of kittens FeLV.

These kittens are only expected to live for about 6 years as well, the same as Happy. But even though they won't live as long as a healthy cat would they still deserve the best chance at life.

"There are plenty of special people too, ones who know there is no greater joy in life than offering a loving home to the overlooked, who understand that it's not about how much time we have, but what we do with it and who we choose to spend that time with."

I'm so grateful that Happy chose to spend her time with me. I'd do it all over again if I could.
She would too. I have no doubt about that. You found her for a reason. You were meant to be together. She will watch over you until the time comes for you to be reunited. She's at the bridge, safe and sound waiting for all of you. :hugs:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've read all about Happy and how you've looked after her. She couldn't of had a better human to love her. That was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. RIP Happy you'll be in good company at the bridge. :rbheart: