Happy 4th of July, America!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
To all my American friends - have a wonderful 4th of July!

This day last year, I was fortunate enough to take part in Independence Day celebrations held in Jackson, Wyoming. This was one of the highlights of a long (5.5 months) road trip across the US, during which we've learned to really appreciate this beautiful country and its amazing people.

Happy 4th of July!

Almost forgot - I added a special article today, about cats in the White House, as a 4th of July special:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-in-the-white-house

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wavey: Happy Fourth of July!
Hope y'all have a fun, relaxing day, and don't forget to keep your pets safe inside!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy 4th of July!  I love the crazy mixed blend we are...on one side, I'm only a second generation american, on the other, my family has been here since the Mayflower :)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually try to watch the movie musical "1776" on July 4th every year.  It's very entertaining and instructive!

If you're acquainted with the movie...did you know they cut a song out of it at the request of Richard Nixon?  The song was "Cool, Cool, Conservative Men."  You won't find a good video of it being performed.  Keep in mind this play was performed daily all through the early 70's in Philadelphia, New York, etc., in honor of the bicentennial.

Of course, like much of the play, it was a modern interpretation of reports of what happened in Congress before the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  And it's anachronistic; the terms "left" and "right," to indicate political persuasion, didn't come in use until after 1789 in France, and took a while to make it here.

Stan Freberg did an album called "The United States of America--The Early Years."  Very funny, if you can find it.  (You can find pieces of it on youtube.)

Last edited:

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be going down to our church later this afternoon to work in the Fireworks Booth. I have done this for the past couple of years and it is so much fun! I will probably be in bed by nine though. I have to be up early tomorrow since I have to be at work earlier then normal. 3 people of our 6 member team are on vacation Thurs and Fri so I am doing overtime. The rest of us have to complete the Quality Control pieces for the end of pay period. It normally has to be completed by Wed, but since today is a holiday and 3 people will be out, we have thru Friday to complete.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a great celebration, all of you in the USA! Here in France we will be celebrating our national day on the 14th July.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just got in from the fireworks display in Duncanville, TX.  Man, that was one big party!