Hand made toys for Cats!

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buying toys for cats can be expensive and not everyone can afford it, so here is a handmade toy idea for your kittens and cats. They would play endlessly in the box. If you only have one kitten put a lace inside of one hole and let the kitten play catching it.

Also you can hide small threats inside!

I have two kittens and they play and chase each others for hours in the box!!

so let's share ideas about handmade toys for cats that are very cheap!

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw so cute! Love the picture you made. :) guess I better go shopping, not only do I need shoes but I guess I need the box, too!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I crochet a lot of toys for Sinbad and Tempest with leftover yarn scraps from other projects. 

What I find the most fascinating is that Sinbad can always tell when I'm making something for him. He won't play with things that aren't for him while I'm working on them - I even managed to finish my wedding shawl with him just sitting in my lap leaving the delicate yarn alone! But the moment I start making him a toy he's trying to play with the hook, the skein of yarn, and the toy as I make it. It takes me ten times as long to make something for him because he's nosing in from the moment I start. 

And it's not that he is recognizing "cat toy" because he leaves toys for Tempest alone while I work  - it's only toys for him that grab his attention. 

I like making them toys, it's always more touching to see Sinbad curled around a ball that I made for him than seeing him playing with a random store bought one. 

lanasaez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awesome Idea. lately i've been throwing empty boxes around the house for my kitten to play with. 

I've made a few cat toys out of toilet paper rolls. The pictures are posted on my profile in an album named "diy cat toys"

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of DIY cat toys. This one isn't really handmade, but yesterday I decided that since I don't use the hood of Happy's litter box, I'll just turn it into a hideaway. So I added a blanket and he likes it. I guess there's a lot more you could add, too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute
I only partially pull open the flap to use the tissues. When the box is empty, I cut one or two holes in the side of the box, big enough for a paw to fit through. I stick a toy into the box, close the flap (it  stays closed on it's own), and give the box to my cats. Sometimes I have to shake the box so they can hear that something is inside. Then they go nuts trying to pull the toy out through the holes.
 I've made a few cat toys out of toilet paper rolls.
Tp and paper towel rolls make great toys for cats and other pets
My Aby used to go nuts for tp rolls when he was a kitten. When I had gerbils, I would save every single cardboard tube and tissue box I could get my hands on so I could turn them into elaborate mazes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you all for sharing your ideas!

can you guys post more pictures of the toys you had made? I would like to see!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are some little basic balls that I've made. I'm not sure where the squid-based blob with tentacles is at the moment, Sinbad has carried it off somewhere, but I'll try to find it later for picture taking and posting. :)

They're both little drawstring bags, so I periodically replace the insides with different things. Right now they're stuffed with newspaper, which is by far and away the most beloved stuffing. It makes such lovely crinkly noises when smashed. 

littlewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've made finger puppets with cat felt, but I might try sewing a mouse out of Eli's fur. If any of you have floofycats send me a bag of fur and I'll make a personalised toy with it :3

littlelion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've made finger puppets with cat felt, but I might try sewing a mouse out of Eli's fur. If any of you have floofycats send me a bag of fur and I'll make a personalised toy with it :3
A lion and a wolf :3