Hand cream / lotion suggestions

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son had really bad eczema when he was little and Lubriderm was one of the lotions that the dermatologist recommended. He also recommended Keri Lotion. For bath soap he recommended Basis.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've had extremely dry and cracked hands -- like cracks on my hands that are deep, bleed, and sting like acid is being applied to them when they come in contact with water. i went to the dermatologist, who gave me a prescription greasy lotion -- that cost and arm and a leg, and since it was medicated i had to wash my hands to touch food and to pet my cats......NOT. so i tried Eucerin's Aquaphor ointment, applied it (rubbed it into my hands (and heels of my feet) every night before bed. my hands healed very well. i still use Aquaphor as needed, and use disposable vinyl gloves often. i haven't had cracks on my hands in quite a few years now. i swear by Aquaphor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a small tube of O'Keeffes hand cream today. I just applied some and it feels chalky / tacky?

If I don't like a lotion, can I return it to the store for a refund? :think: Is returning an opened and used just once product ok?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends where you bought it. Some companies have very generous return policies.

I use Walmart brand (Equate) with Shea Butter.
I bought a thing of this after you mentioned it, and it's nice! I've been using it at night so I don't know if it passes the daytime test, but my hands feel great.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends where you bought it. Some companies have very generous return policies.

I bought a thing of this after you mentioned it, and it's nice! I've been using it at night so I don't know if it passes the daytime test, but my hands feel great.
It's one of the best lotions I've found.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to buy a bottle of Lubriderm and a jar of Aquaphor. LTS3 LTS3 Maybe you should see a dermatologist? You seem to have quite sensitive skin. When I was a child, doc had the pharmacist make up 3 different dry skin compounds and they really helped but the downside was he said I could only bathe 3 times per week until my skin improved. Baths were and are my thing. Sponge baths just don't do it for me.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really get dry skin, but my dad gets it really bad in the winter and he swears by O'keefes and Udderly Smooth. He uses O'Keefes while working and Udderly Smooth before he goes to bed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bough the O'Keefes from CVS. The CVS web site says opened items can be returned at the manager's discretion. I gave the O'Keefes another try earlier after I washed the cats' bowls. I still don't like that tacky / waxy feel it leaves :cringe: And my my super dry cracked hands don't look any better :dunno: I'll give something else a try.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bough the O'Keefes from CVS. The CVS web site says opened items can be returned at the manager's discretion. I gave the O'Keefes another try earlier after I washed the cats' bowls. I still don't like that tacky / waxy feel it leaves :cringe: And my my super dry cracked hands don't look any better :dunno: I'll give something else a try.
I'd take it back and tell them why. They will just send it back to the manufacturer.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husbands doctor told him to apply the Lubriderm right after showering, without toweling off the water, as it is really the water that is doing the most of the hydrating. That works for him, but me I'm always washing my hands so often I use Softsoap with aloe for washing and keep a bottle of unscented Lubriderm right next to it so I go through a lot of it. On legs I put a little vaseline even though I don't like the way vaseline feels it doesn't take much to keep the moisture from evaporating.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a small tube of O'Keeffes hand cream today. I just applied some and it feels chalky / tacky?

If I don't like a lotion, can I return it to the store for a refund? :think: Is returning an opened and used just once product ok?
I work retail and some stores will take open returns. Do you have the receipt still? If you have the receipt check the back of it most stores have their return policy on the back of the receipt. If you are not sure you can call the store and ask. You might want to speak with a manager if you do not have the receipt. If you are looking to exchange it for a different product and you decide to call the store let them know that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found something that works :yess: I picked up a small jar of locally made beeswax skin cream from a local shop. It has shea butter, various oils, and local beeswax in it. The label says a little bit goes a long way and it does. I only needed a small amount on my hands. The cream is unscented and not greasy. It is expensive, $9 for a 2 oz jar, and I really don't want to plan an entire weekend morning to go all the way downtown to buy more. Well, not in the winter anyways. It can be a brutally cold wind tunnel downtown :cold:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Lubriderm Ultra Hydrating and it's working. I also bought Amlactin Rapid Relief lotion for when my skin is itching. I like both of them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I've ever seen Amlactin :think: Does any pharmacy or big box store sell it?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was working, my hands would get so dry in winter that the skin on my knuckles would split and bleed, mostly because I had to work bare-handed so much, even in the cold. The only thing that worked was the Bag Balm, applied at night and covered with cotton gloves. It would take a while to get results- usually about a week or so to heal- but the stuff did work.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll have to take a look the next time I go. The store may keep the brand on a bottom shelf where I never look.

So far the beeswax cream has nearly turned my hands normal again:yess: The cracked bleeding spots are slowly healing and no longer painful. Hopefully the jar will last all winter :crossfingers:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O'Keefe's...otherwise my fingers crack at my corners of my fingernails