Halp - Horse stall bedding - which was it??

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This might be ther wrong section, sorry - but it's a follow up to a VERY long post that I have in this sectionsomewer in my euthanasia-at-home thread, someone (@Red Top Rescue?) mentioned a horse stall litter at Tractor supply for $8.99/40 lbs.

Is it the pine pellets:http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg;-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

or the corn cob one?http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/best-cob-premium-horse-bedding

The corn cob one has a startement I don't like "Build up of ammonia from pet urine can cause respiratory problems, ingestion by your pet should be avoided. A separation between soiled bedding and your pet is advisable."

Or the pine shavings? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/horse-bedding

Did the users say it clumped a bit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

randomhero1747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pine is the type I buy. And no it doesn't clump at all. Solids you have to remove everyday or every other day and when the cats pee, the pine will break down and create a sawdust you can sift out however often you need to

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the corn cobs, with a bit of pine added for better odor control. Using pine-only sets off my asthma, plus the corn cobs pellets are smaller and the cats prefer that. It clumps a bit (if you were really careful you could scoop the urine out in a clump) but nothing like clumping clay litters.

About the "warning"---some people use it for rabbits, hamsters, etc. They're just saying not to let your pet sit around on top of pee-soaked litter, but that's true of any litter. The way cats use it it's not really a concern.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That must be it, thanks! The person that was telling me about it was saying that the urine would cause it to turn to sawdust for clump removal.

Thank you!

@Willowy, we must have cross posted. That makes sense for the respiratory warning in a pet enclosure, especially if their little faces were so close to the corncob. OK, thank you. I'm looking for an alternative to the clay unscented clumping I'm using. If it get scooped daily, I can't imagine it would pose a concern for litter boxes.

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the first link of the 2 links you posted. The green bag. I also use the sifting litter boxes that the feline pine pellets have on their web sight. I think I only paid 6.00 for 40 lb bag. It's an all around great litter. I have nothing but good to say about it. It checks all the boxes for everything I want from a litter. The boxes although a bit pricey once you pay the S/H are good to have with the pine pellets. There are 2 boxes the top one that you pour the pellets into has holes in and it sits into a bottom box. Every day I take the scoop that comes with it and I rake through the pellets so the saw dust falls through the holes leaving the still solid pellets. You can also shake the box from side to side . Then I pour out the saw dust that is in the bottom box into the trash. The poop gets scooped out daily.There is no oder, tracking, dust, wet yucky mess on the bottom, and the saw dust is very light weight and easier to dispose of. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I got something corn based and was going to try that, I suppose I jumped the gun as usual.