Half Sphynx, Half "???" Help :)

flufflypants11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello felow cat lovers!
I'm here today because I want to know more about my cat's possible breed/mix!
I don't know if it's because he's the first cat I ever got for myself as an adult but we have a very special connection. He is the most affectionate, cuddly, loving cat I've ever met, very therapeutic. It's like it was meant to be because I suffer from various mental illnesses and he's like my little furry ball of comfort and love!!!
I'm very curious to know about his possible origins but google offers very little help. Here are various pictures of my now 2 year old Meeko. First photos are baby ones. Last few are him over 1 year old.

I was given my Meeko by a lady which had an "accident" where her large male sphynx impregnated her small grey long-haired female cat. Here are photos of the parents, dad first.

Now... I know he's part sphynx. He's a long-haired cat with what looks to be a long-haired mom. Meeko is a big cat! He was 7 months old and the vet said he looked more like an 11 month old but not fat, just big and strong.
What I am most curious about is his fur! He's a black cat obviously but in some lighting you see he's got some redhead genes, you can find some patches of light grey hair and some completely white hairs here and there. On his sides and his butt under the tail, the hair tends to curl very subtly and it did even more after his first bath! His paw cushions are black too. Personality wise, as I said above, very loving, very playful and extremely curious about people and the outside world. BUT he has to feel comfortable. When confronted to new people or situations he hides away and won't come out, eat or drink until he feels safe which can take some time so it's kind of paradoxal. Once he feels safe it's like he was never even scared in the first place. So funny. He used to be the most quiet cat but in the last year has become a little more vocal especially when he wants his food, so more comfortable and I guess his personality is developing too. He's a very easy cat, doesn't complain when groomed or bathed but he is very strong and will try to get away if he doesn't like a situation. He is not fat just big with a thick coat as opposed to his small sized mom.
I find him very special and fascinating.
If anyone could shed a light on his possible origins, that would make my day!!!

Thank you and I look forward to reading your opinions!

miraclecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he has Maine Coon in him? Here is a link to a FAQ page for a cat breed/ancestry test. If you want to know very badly you could do that test and maybe find out his other half? And I don't work for this at all and have never used it. Just searched for it because of your question. :)
Cat Ancestry - FAQ

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really weird! Long hair is a recessive gene which means both parents need to carry it to pass it on to their offspring. I admit I don't know anything about how the hairless gene works but it's weird to think of a hairless cat carrying the longhair gene, lol. Is the breeder sure her female didn't get outside and meet with another male?

But assuming she's correct, well, you know he's half Sphinx :D. I don't see any particular breed influence in the mother cat. I think she's a domestic longhair.

The reddish fur on his belly is just rusting, that's what happens to black fur when it gets old or dry.

The curliness of some of his fur might be cause by some kind of variation of the hairless gene. I'm not sure how Rex cats are related to Sphinx cats but minor rexing is fairly common even in domestics so it might just be random too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flufflypants11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's really weird! Long hair is a recessive gene which means both parents need to carry it to pass it on to their offspring. I admit I don't know anything about how the hairless gene works but it's weird to think of a hairless cat carrying the longhair gene, lol. Is the breeder sure her female didn't get outside and meet with another male?

But assuming she's correct, well, you know he's half Sphinx :D. I don't see any particular breed influence in the mother cat. I think she's a domestic longhair.

The reddish fur on his belly is just rusting, that's what happens to black fur when it gets old or dry.

The curliness of some of his fur might be cause by some kind of variation of the hairless gene. I'm not sure how Rex cats are related to Sphinx cats but minor rexing is fairly common even in domestics so it might just be random too.
Hi! Thanks for your input. I have looked more into the hairless gene and found this link if a hairless cat and a regular cat have kittens, will the
basically stating that the 2 gene mutations causing the hairless skin are recessive and both parents need to be hairless to have hairless kittens, like you said about the longhair gene. But the vet goes on to say the kitten of one hairless parent and one hairy parent would most likely have hair also but would carry the hairless gene anyway! I don't think the lady would've lied to me about the sphynx being the dad (no reason to).
I did not know fur could rust! Are the grey shade patches also a sign of aging or dryness? I'll look into it :thumbsup:
I searched but found nothing on long-haired cats with only some patches of curly hair. It might be in his genes, who knows but it's so cute!
That ancestry costs money I think, would be cool to do one day though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Willowys analysis is excellent.

I wonder if momma has some creme on her? Ie momma is a diluted tortie? Sometimes they dont have much red / creme. Just a spot somewhere. Or one of the foot pads. Also, torties do often have green eyes. Why, I dont know but its quite common.
HE shouldnt be a tortie, its not common males are.

Meeko sounds as a real Godsend especielly to you. :)
I wonder if you can register Meeko as your theraphy cat. It will if nothing else, allow you to have him even in a house where the landlord dont forbids household animals.
You must have your doctor write appropriate letter to the authorities.

Felesha88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello felow cat lovers!
I'm here today because I want to know more about my cat's possible breed/mix!
I don't know if it's because he's the first cat I ever got for myself as an adult but we have a very special connection. He is the most affectionate, cuddly, loving cat I've ever met, very therapeutic. It's like it was meant to be because I suffer from various mental illnesses and he's like my little furry ball of comfort and love!!!
I'm very curious to know about his possible origins but google offers very little help. Here are various pictures of my now 2 year old Meeko. First photos are baby ones. Last few are him over 1 year old.

I was given my Meeko by a lady which had an "accident" where her large male sphynx impregnated her small grey long-haired female cat. Here are photos of the parents, dad first.

Now... I know he's part sphynx. He's a long-haired cat with what looks to be a long-haired mom. Meeko is a big cat! He was 7 months old and the vet said he looked more like an 11 month old but not fat, just big and strong.
What I am most curious about is his fur! He's a black cat obviously but in some lighting you see he's got some redhead genes, you can find some patches of light grey hair and some completely white hairs here and there. On his sides and his butt under the tail, the hair tends to curl very subtly and it did even more after his first bath! His paw cushions are black too. Personality wise, as I said above, very loving, very playful and extremely curious about people and the outside world. BUT he has to feel comfortable. When confronted to new people or situations he hides away and won't come out, eat or drink until he feels safe which can take some time so it's kind of paradoxal. Once he feels safe it's like he was never even scared in the first place. So funny. He used to be the most quiet cat but in the last year has become a little more vocal especially when he wants his food, so more comfortable and I guess his personality is developing too. He's a very easy cat, doesn't complain when groomed or bathed but he is very strong and will try to get away if he doesn't like a situation. He is not fat just big with a thick coat as opposed to his small sized mom.
I find him very special and fascinating.
If anyone could shed a light on his possible origins, that would make my day!!!

Thank you and I look forward to reading your opinions!
Hey!! Yes your guys is definitely a half and half I have one as well. Same characteristics, HUGE and exactly the same hair type. His dad looks just like your guys dad and mom was a grey shorthair elf. It so cool to see an exact replicate of my boy except different hair color. IMG_4958 2.jpg IMG_4961.PNG

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the non-Sphynx half, but from his appearance, you'd never know he had any Sphynx blood in him!;)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the grey shade patches also a sign of aging or dryness?
I have a long haired black cat. When his 'undercoat' turns gray I know it's time to take the comb out and give him a thorough combing. It only happens when the undercoat dies and needs to be combed out. After the comb, he's completely black again.