Halal raw diet

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there guys. 

So I'm going to be moving on Saturday. I'm super excited because there are many meat markets around where I will be moving. Specifically, they are Halal meat markets. I see that they sell chicken, beef, lamb, and GOAT, which I am pretty excited about! 

Currently I'm feeding mostly ground with some frankenprey. I would love to eventually switch to a ground/franken/and whole prey model. 

Question is, I did a lot of research on this (pardon my ignorance) but what organs are considered Halal? Or better yet, what organs do ya'll think I will not be able to get at these Halal markets?

So far I have found out that testicles/reproductive organs, spleens, glands, are not considered Halal and I will not be able to find these. I do know liver and kidney are acceptable. Brain, I am not sure. 

I know that variety is very important for frankenprey, but if I kept using kidney as my secreting organ (but different protein sources) will that be not enough variety? I currently only really feed one or two days of franken, I'd love to increase that amount.

Thanks all!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there guys. 
that they sell chicken, beef, lamb, and GOAT, which I am pretty excited about! 
If they sell goat meat, they perhaps also sell goat milk?  If so, do make usage of it. Both for your cats and yourself.  Milk, cheese, perhaps even youghurt if there is?

Goat milk butter is btw a nice mild bowel mover.

Goat milk works nicely for small kittens, it and products from it, surely must also be nice and nourishome for adult cats too.

Whichever diet you are otherwise keeping into.

(I know roughly what raw is, but I dont know anything about this Franken diet, thus I dont know if goat milk is allowed).

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure which organs are considered halal, but if you can find both kidney and liver and use both (5% each) from different protein sources I think you're fine. Some commercial raw foods only use liver, and there are some frankenprey feeders who can't source other organs so only use liver as well. Although more variety would be better, if sourcing is an issue, then you can only do your best.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think if you can find kidney from different animals, then you'll be fine.  Same for liver.  I use mostly beef kidney, though did find pork kidney once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, sounds good.

Now, I've been doing chicken frankenprey for the most part. Chicken wing/necks, drum meat, heart, gizzard, kidney, liver, basically all chicken parts. I assume from what I've read I can mix and match though? For instance use chicken necks but also lamb kidney and liver? 

StefanZ, I hope to find goat milk too! Even though the cat is not fond of it, I am VERY fond of it haha.

vball, I've actually noticed too that some commercial raw only uses liver as their organ. I didn't know that some franken feeders did that too. What are the cons of doing this?

Ritz- Pork kidney... I actually haven't seen that in stores around here, and I probably won't find it at the halal markets but it's definitely on my list for things to try. 

Once I move this Saturday I'll do a Halal meat market tour and see what they have. It might be useful for those who only eat Halal products themselves and want to feed their pets a raw diet. Who knows.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rule of thumb is to feed protein (versus organs) from at least three different animals, for example, chicken, turkey and beef; lamb would be fine, too.  You might be able to find rabbit, quail and goat. 

There are a few members in this forum who are vegans or vegetarians who feed their cat raw.  They realize that cats are obligate carnivores; humans are not.

Happy hunting/touring!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ritz, I hear ya. Currently I feed 5 types of protein. The chicken is the one frankenprey meal I do. I'm hoping I can increase the amount of frankenprey meals.

I actually found a place close to where I live right now where they will slaughter whole chickens and duck. I may check out the place before I move... I believe you'll have the dress them yourself though.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm envious:  I would love to find a butcher who would give me it whole (perhaps head excluded, perhaps not!)  Ritz is an adventurous eater, and I'd like to know if she likes thymus, lung, etc.

She does like duck.

And bubblegum flavored antibiotic mixed in beef baby food. But that's a topic for another forum!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I found lamb liver. That's a plus. 

So for anyone who is interested in halal raw making I've found that these are easily able to be sourced:

Chicken - liver, kidney, muscle meat

Beef - liver, kidney, muscle meat

Goat - muscle meat

Lamb - liver, muscle meat