Hairballs

Queenie2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my cat may have hair balls she's not able to get rid of. She won't eat much, so she won't try the treat kind of treatment, so I got her the gel, but she won't eat that either. How do I get it in her??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you feed her wet cat food you can try mixing in a teaspoon of pumpkin puree once a day. You can make it at home by cooking and mashing or buy canned. If you do canned make sure it is just pumpkin (and water); no spices and not pumpkin pie. Most cats will tolerate pumpkin mixed with their food and it is beneficial for hairballs and poop problems. I buy a Soulistic cat food with pumpkin already mixed in when my guys have problems. But it's just as easy and less expensive to add it to your existing food.

If you don't feed wet, I'd still try the pumpkin. You could buy some wet to mix it in with or mix it with some water packed tuna (or sardines, try to get water packed with little or no salt) as a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Queenie2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My problem is that shes not eating much of anything.....im thinking because of the hairballs. I dont know how to get her to eat the gel

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are going to have to either smear it on upper paw or open her mouth and smear in cheek. Sooner rather than later. The not eating can cause problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Queenie2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you...that's what I was thinking...I just needed to know if I should do that or not . I hope that's all the problem is.

Grace726

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone asked how long pumpkin will last. I spoon the pumpkin into small cups like applesauce or fruit come in. Then I freeze them. I take out one and put in a small container with a lid. This will last about a week, depending on how much you use per cat and how many cats eat it.

My one cat loves pumpkin. The other one won’t eat it, but i’m going to try some of the suggestions I read here. Thanks!