Hairball?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning all,
So I hear a lot about cats throwing up hairballs,
Skye is 6 months old and haven't done that yet . She's short haired, grooms herself and I brush her frequently. She has beautiful thick fur.
It might be a silly question ;) but is normal if she hasn't thrown up hairballs, should I be concerned about that?
Thanks & have a great day
:wave2:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it’s abnormal to regularly be throwing up hairballs. Long hair cats are more likely to do so than short hair, but, in my experience, cats fed an appropriate diet very rarely hack hairballs. All of mine are raw fed and none of them have hairballs.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say it’s abnormal to regularly be throwing up hairballs. Long hair cats are more likely to do so than short hair, but, in my experience, cats fed an appropriate diet very rarely hack hairballs. All of mine are raw fed and none of them have hairballs.
Thank you!
She's not raw fed but she's on a good quality wet and dry food.
:):thanks:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
She's not raw fed but she's on a good quality wet and dry food.
:):thanks:
That’s great. I wouldn’t worry if a long hair cat had an occasional hairball, but I’d definitely be concerned if it was happening on a regular basis. A lot of people have this strange misconception that cats are supposed to throw things up. That’s just simply not true.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great that she hasn't had any hairballs so far. My cats (all shorthair of various types) only get them rarely. Keep doing what you're doing - it's obviously working :thumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Purraise

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hairballs either get out from the front end or the back end, so enjoy the fact yours end up in the litter box rather than the carpet (or in your shoes, yuck!)

• Purraise

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who only got hairballs after I used the Furminator.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's great that she hasn't had any hairballs so far. My cats (all shorthair of various types) only get them rarely. Keep doing what you're doing - it's obviously working :thumbsup:
:hyper:thank you

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hairballs either get out from the front end or the back end, so enjoy the fact yours end up in the litter box rather than the carpet (or in your shoes, yuck!)

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I own two cats, one long hair and one short hair. My long hair cat throws up hairballs, I put her on Purina One hairball control. I also give her unflavored miralax mixed with water to help with getting rid of hairballs. If your cat ever experiences hairballs this is what I recommend doing. It is vet approved