Hairball?

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Need a little advice on this one please....

First time cat owner and still don't really know about hairballs..my boyfriend who has had many cats says this is a non-issue and my cat is just "working on a hairball"

About 3 or 4 days ago my cat started doing this thing occasionally throughout the day (maybe once or twice a day) where he looks like he has a hiccup or is gulping (I affectionately joke and say he looks like a turkey...ya know the way they do that thing with their neck).

He makes no sound when this happens, and doesn't seem too bothered by it either...I will go over to him to see if he seems distressed and he doesn't seem bothered, in fact sometimes he flops over for belly rubs or play and starts purring. There have been some times where I think it is bothering him so he goes to grab a little nibble of food (to help pass it through?)

There were 2 times in the past few days that he seemed like he was going to get the hairball up,  a couple 'dry heaves' but nothing happened.

I guess my question is how long should it take them to get rid of a hairball? And at what point is a visit to the vet necessary? I don't want to overreact about a hairball, but not under-react if it's something more.

I know it's shedding season so he's more likely to have a hairball now, but I would love advice from others here. I did get some hairball gel for him and started that 2 days ago. I tried pumpkin but he will not touch the stuff.

He has had one hairball (months ago) that he did get up, but it took him a while (several days that time too.)

Thanks in advance everyone for your help :)

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds a lot like my cat Munchie does when he has an asthma attack.  You may want to take your kitty to the vet to have him checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am gonna see if we can get him in tomorrow to be looked at

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet said a hairball shouldn't take that long and it is likely something else so we have an appt tomorrow to get him checked out, hope all is okay :)

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for inquiring GoldyCat,

Went to the vet Tuesday and doc asked me a bunch of questions about his day to day; any difference in sleeping, eating, playing, etc. I told her nothing different- he's a happy, silly cat. She asked if when he has these 'incidents' if there is any sound like coughing or labored breathing and I told her no. We discussed kitty asthma and she gave him a full physical. She said his physical health seemed great and she didn't hear anything wrong. She said overall it seems like a non-issue unless it gets worse or I notice labored breathing (and in that case they'd do a chest x-ray). She also said to (over the next couple of days) check his respiration rate...which seems to be quite normal. 

I asked her about the possibility of him scratching his throat or having a little digestive upset because when he eats kibble, often he doesn't seem to be chewing it, just swallowing it down. She said that was indeed possible.

But coincidentally, I had a guest staying with us for the week he was having the problem, and it seems to have subsided now that she is gone. I think it's possible he was very anxious with a stranger in the house (he is SUPER nervous in general) and maybe eating his food too fast or under "stress" and giving himself either digestive woes or irritating his poor little throat.

So, we didn't find the exact cause, but he is better and haven't seen him do it since maybe last Monday or so.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just now reading this thread.  I'm glad the vet didn't find anything serious, & I agree, a hairball shouldn't take that long to come up.

Are you giving him anything for hairballs to help?  If not, that may help. (?)  If it was just stress, I would recommend a Feliway plug in diffuser.

My kitty is very sensitive too, so I keep one plugged in.

(poor baby was stressed out a couple of weeks ago & was eating a lot less,all because I got new furniture.( Even though I closed him in my room while old was going, & new was coming) Took him to the vet just to be safe & all was fine. He ate more as soon as we got home, as to say, "see mommy, I will eat, don't take me back to the vet." 
 )    "Sensitive little boys."  (Big boy in Angel's case, @ 15 lbs)

P.S.  I have found the best prices for Feliway & refills on amazon, or EntirelyPets.com 

Last edited:

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. I got him some natural hairball gel that the vet said I can give daily if need be.
Also, a few months ago I got Feliway diffusers and that helped a little so we also got him the Feliway collar and that has helped in many ways, but as I asked the vet sometimes those things only do so much and you just have a nervous little scaredy cat ;)
Thanks for the help everyone

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh also I found the Feliway collars online from chewy.com they have great prices on pet stuff. And I get my diffuser refills on amazon or eBay as well :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh also I found the Feliway collars online from chewy.com they have great prices on pet stuff. And I get my diffuser refills on amazon or eBay as well
That's great! Yea, I was just pricing around yesterday, because I need to order refills of Feliway, & Cosequin, & Chewy.com had the best prices on both this time.