Hairball? Vomit? Pre vomit before hairball?

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired ragamuffin with CHF, HCM. He does groom alot!
Saturday it looked like he vomited up his food- but it was purely undigested, you could see and separate clumps of dry food.
He eats wet FF & sheba and dry (origin cat and kitten- from an autofeeder, small amounts)

i chalked it up to maybe eating too fast or eating the house plant and puking... he seemed fine ate the rest of the day, wasnt acting abnormal.

Today, he threw up again, mostly clumpy wet - around 10am
I had fed and pilled him around 7:30am/8...
I came home from work and found a longggg log of vomit but when I felt through it (with gloves!) it was all thick dense hair...
Could it be this was bugging him since Saturday and he finally got it up and out? Or should I be worried?
He ate some wet treats- Pure balance pureed chicken and delectables treat soft pate easy digestion. And again, acting normal.
Heres the pic ... sorry
07F34CDE-1A2C-4061-A736-33CF609E8A22.jpeg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it’s two unrelated events. Cats can vomit from eating too fast, etc, and hairballs can appear in longhaired cats quite frequently. To curb the hairballs, you can try feeding Laxatone, or a similar brand, as well as regular grooming.
This article gives some more info about vomiting in cats, and when to see a vet: Vomiting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do cats ever have pre vomits before the hairball?
Like trying to get it out but cant?
Saturdays vomit was semi chewed intact dry food, hes never been a fast super eater...

todays was pure log like hair ball vomit

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is possible that the first vomit was related to the hairball, and it wasn't until the second time that he was able to dislodge it and throw it up - but no one here can tell you that for sure. Start giving him something for the hairballs - you can try butter/margarine, a dab from your finger or on his paw to lick, daily for a few days, and then give it to him at least a couple of times a week. There are numerous hairball pastes or malts on the market that you could try as well. Brushing daily for a long haired cat helps immensely. If he continues to throw up, you might consider a vet visit just to rule out it is not related to his CHF/HCM.