hair loss?

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think my male cat has ever had bald patches. He is 2.5 years old and has outdoor access so i check his fur/skin regularly when petting but because this spot has hair i only noticed this a few days ago accidentally. I don't see him groom excessively, but i noticed that he sometimes pulls and bites his hair when grooming but he would not pull the fur out and this only happens when hes grooming after a meal ( maybe its normal?). No bald patches anywhere on his body just thinner hair on his front left leg only. What can this be? He had his flea medication so im not sure what else can this be? Some help would be great, THANKS! :D
Heres a picture
micko1.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hair thinning and loss in cats can have a number of causes. Not all serious, but it can take a while to figure it out. Is anything else going on like itching, or excessive scratching? Inflammation, bumps or sores, odd looking skin under the thinning hair? Recent food change? Grooming after a meal is common, but I was not clear on whether or not your cat actually does pull fur out. If so, that might indicate an irritation that you are not aware of or that might not be visible to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hair thinning and loss in cats can have a number of causes. Not all serious, but it can take a while to figure it out. Is anything else going on like itching, or excessive scratching? Inflammation, bumps or sores, odd looking skin under the thinning hair? Recent food change? Grooming after a meal is common, but I was not clear on whether or not your cat actually does pull fur out. If so, that might indicate an irritation that you are not aware of or that might not be visible to you.
When he grooms he bites and pulls his fur but no hair comes out

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Biting could be an attempt to deal with something that is irritating him.