Hair Loss On Front Paws

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for some thoughts and ideas of what could be causing the hair loss on my cats front paws.

Guinness had his teeth cleaned and 4 teeth extracted last August. In the fall of 2016, he started having issues with being ravenous all the time, and I took him to the vet in January/February and have run all sorts of tests on him. We have tested him for diabetes, tested his thyroid, his pancreas, etc, and I am treating him with a low dose steroid for IBD, because all those tests came back clear. The vet seems to think he could have a low-grade lymphoma, but won't diagnose without an endoscopy or exploratory surgery. Guinness is somewhere between 12-14 years old, so I don't think it's fair to cut him open for exploratory surgery.
He has hair loss on both front paws, and it initially started in the site where his IV was put in for his teeth cleaning. It has just gotten worse and worse, and he is overgrooming it. The vet has basically said it is another sign of him probably having cancer. He had his belly shaved in February for an ultrasound, and his hair never grew back after that.

Does anyone else on this board have experience with this? Was it lymphoma? Was it food allergies? Just stress? Any ideas that you can share are appreciated. I am debating looking for a new vet, only because I don't think his current vet has any other ideas besides exploratory surgery. I am looking for solutions that aren't super invasive for my little old man.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmm...actually, it could be a lot of things. I did find this for you,

Skin Conditions In Cats

It's general, but there are some links in it that may also help.

For now, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it, and gently wipe his paws. It is soothing for all types of skin irritation. Oh, good for human skin irritations, too!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe an allergy? Have you changed his food or used any new cleaning products lately?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmmm...actually, it could be a lot of things. I did find this for you,

Skin Conditions In Cats

It's general, but there are some links in it that may also help.

For now, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it, and gently wipe his paws. It is soothing for all types of skin irritation. Oh, good for human skin irritations, too!
Thanks so much for posting the link. I had reviewed that during my research as well as similar links from outside sites. Very helpful. I know it can be many things, just was hoping to hear from someone on the board that had gone through something similar with their cat. The vet blew off the idea that there is an allergy, but I am not so sure.

I love the idea of the chamomile tea idea. I will try that this weekend! Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is a huge, honking deal, myself. I'm inclined to take any stress-based disorder in those with four AND those with two feet with a lot more than a grain of salt. OK...there's this. When you brew that cup of tea for washing the pawsies, you can safely administer a tbsp twice a day internally. It's just as calming in cats as it is in humans. If you choose to do that, brew a fresh cup every other day. If you are doing external only, every 3-4 days is ok

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with you completely with looking for another vet. Even though he is older, that doesn't mean the vet should take his issues any less seriously! He deserves to live a stress free life even if it is cancer. But in my opinion it looks like an allergy to something. Chewing on the paws and overgrooming them is a sign of discomfort in an area they can't scratch, i.e. Internal. So maybe he is allergic to the steroid for IBS? A new food or substance in his environment? How is his behavior other than the paw chewing? Also, his new found ravenous behavior could very well be from the teeth pulling. If your mouth was constantly hurting and preventing you from eating as much as you normally would, after that pain is gone you would probably go crazy on some food lol!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try administering Rescue Remedy; I've used it for good results, and I know a few rescues who consider it to be a lifesaver.

As I have a cat who has licked his back legs (from the top of his tail all the way to his paws), front arms, and belly completely bare for the last five years, I've learned that a cat without hair isn't necessarily an ill cat. My boy is otherwise healthy, and has stumped every vet I've seen. All of them have told me to either put him on cat Xanax (N O), or deal with it, so we deal.

Remember it can be equally stressful to the cat to be administered with supplements/remedies/medications, so be sure to weigh that against the bare belly!

View media item 419455

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is a huge, honking deal, myself. I'm inclined to take any stress-based disorder in those with four AND those with two feet with a lot more than a grain of salt. OK...there's this. When you brew that cup of tea for washing the pawsies, you can safely administer a tbsp twice a day internally. It's just as calming in cats as it is in humans. If you choose to do that, brew a fresh cup every other day. If you are doing external only, every 3-4 days is ok

I agree. It took him like a month to get used to having no fur on his belly, and he still doesn't have any new fur. The paws started with a small spot and its now a huge bald spot. To me, it's serious. He is obviously uncomfortable and I hate that he can't communicate with me about what exactly is wrong. I actually looked into whether it could also be arthritis, and that was causing him to lick his paws. I am giving him a glucosamine supplement, and it has seemed to help a little, but he still is overgrooming there, and has discomfort. There HAS to be another underlying issue.

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try administering Rescue Remedy; I've used it for good results, and I know a few rescues who consider it to be a lifesaver.

As I have a cat who has licked his back legs (from the top of his tail all the way to his paws), front arms, and belly completely bare for the last five years, I've learned that a cat without hair isn't necessarily an ill cat. My boy is otherwise healthy, and has stumped every vet I've seen. All of them have told me to either put him on cat Xanax (N O), or deal with it, so we deal.

Remember it can be equally stressful to the cat to be administered with supplements/remedies/medications, so be sure to weigh that against the bare belly!

View media item 419455
I will look into the rescue remedy. I think I saw they have some formula where I can add it to the water. The belly I guess I'm getting used to, but the paws he is still licking everyday. There is something that is bothering him.

I have my other cat of prozac due to improper litter box usage when Guinness starting getting sick. She will be on it from here on out. I don't want to put Guinness on it.

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you completely with looking for another vet. Even though he is older, that doesn't mean the vet should take his issues any less seriously! He deserves to live a stress free life even if it is cancer. But in my opinion it looks like an allergy to something. Chewing on the paws and overgrooming them is a sign of discomfort in an area they can't scratch, i.e. Internal. So maybe he is allergic to the steroid for IBS? A new food or substance in his environment? How is his behavior other than the paw chewing? Also, his new found ravenous behavior could very well be from the teeth pulling. If your mouth was constantly hurting and preventing you from eating as much as you normally would, after that pain is gone you would probably go crazy on some food lol!
The overgrooming/licking/hair loss started before he was put on the pred. I don't think that's causing the issue. I'm not using any new cleaning products, I vacuum all the time, and he has been on the same brand of food for a while. I do think it could be a food allergy, but how do I change that? Currently he is eating chicken/chicken liver from Core Wellness. It's a grainfree. Both my cats only eat wet food.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you try Bitter Apple, to discourage him from licking? It could very well be an area of fixation; that's what my Mrowmrow has going on. Except it's basically his entire body. o_O

ETA: Whoops, didn't see your post. Can you try a food without chicken for a few weeks?

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you try Bitter Apple, to discourage him from licking? It could very well be an area of fixation; that's what my Mrowmrow has going on. Except it's basically his entire body. o_O

ETA: Whoops, didn't see your post. Can you try a food without chicken for a few weeks?
I could definitely try a food without chicken for a few weeks. Any Suggestions for a single protein that would be an easy transition?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could definitely try a food without chicken for a few weeks. Any Suggestions for a single protein that would be an easy transition?
Check for an LID...anything "novel", i.e. lamb, venison, duck, rabbit, or pork. I would personally stay away from turkey, pheasant, or quail. Can you get your hands on any of the Nature's Variety Instinct cans? I like those a lot. You could also try a Stella & Chewy dehydrated mix; most cats go nutty for those, and they have several flavors. It can be hard to find canned food that has NO chicken.

IMO lamb would probably the gentlest switch to their belly, as lamb isn't considered to be a very "aggravating" protein, unlike something extremely rich like beef or venison.

Twinklelight The Cat

Always loving cats
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be obsession of licking some cats are so obsessed with licking thier fur comes of the obsession comes from stress.:think:

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check for an LID...anything "novel", i.e. lamb, venison, duck, rabbit, or pork. I would personally stay away from turkey, pheasant, or quail. Can you get your hands on any of the Nature's Variety Instinct cans? I like those a lot. You could also try a Stella & Chewy dehydrated mix; most cats go nutty for those, and they have several flavors. It can be hard to find canned food that has NO chicken.

IMO lamb would probably the gentlest switch to their belly, as lamb isn't considered to be a very "aggravating" protein, unlike something extremely rich like beef or venison.
Also cats are scared of vacuum sounds
Well, unfortunately, he has to learn to deal with the vacuum and the trash men that also scare him. lol. I have to vacuum more because of him and the other cat. haha

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for some thoughts and ideas of what could be causing the hair loss on my cats front paws.

Guinness had his teeth cleaned and 4 teeth extracted last August. In the fall of 2016, he started having issues with being ravenous all the time, and I took him to the vet in January/February and have run all sorts of tests on him. We have tested him for diabetes, tested his thyroid, his pancreas, etc, and I am treating him with a low dose steroid for IBD, because all those tests came back clear. The vet seems to think he could have a low-grade lymphoma, but won't diagnose without an endoscopy or exploratory surgery. Guinness is somewhere between 12-14 years old, so I don't think it's fair to cut him open for exploratory surgery.
He has hair loss on both front paws, and it initially started in the site where his IV was put in for his teeth cleaning. It has just gotten worse and worse, and he is overgrooming it. The vet has basically said it is another sign of him probably having cancer. He had his belly shaved in February for an ultrasound, and his hair never grew back after that.

Does anyone else on this board have experience with this? Was it lymphoma? Was it food allergies? Just stress? Any ideas that you can share are appreciated. I am debating looking for a new vet, only because I don't think his current vet has any other ideas besides exploratory surgery. I am looking for solutions that aren't super invasive for my little old man.
Though I've never seen this in a cat, my male neutered cat Elvis, 10, does have a natural "lion tuft" on his tail and the rest of his tail is closely "barbered" -- he either did this himself or it is a natural phenomenon. Other cats have "barbered" themselves -- usually on the belly area -- and I believe it is possibly due to stress, though no one really knows for sure. Cats are very sensitive beings and they love pattern in their lives. They do not like noise, sudden changes, or stressful environments. I try to keep my cats' and my environment as serene as possible and though of course I clean and vacuum, I reassure them about the vacuum if they seem stressed by it, and I also reassure them if there are noises outside that I can't do anything about.