Hair loss by tailbone (7-8cm long!)

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an outside inside 4 year old male cat who started to have a boldpot by his tailboke, first i thought he might had stuck his tail and ripped the haie or something, but no...
He chews/pulls the hair himself, i readup on it and its clear that he does not have a broken tail, and stress is unlikely since nothing new has happened etc

I susoect fleas but cabt seem to find any flees on him

I cant take him to the vet bc my parents dont believe me that there is a problem, and they dont wont to drive him either or even let me pay bc its "unnersary" and nor can i drive or know someone who can help me

Please if anyone can tell me what is wrong that would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Im also concerned about the brown looking spot on the first picture, its dry and can be flaked a bit off)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my feral toms get "stud tail" which requires antibiotics to clear it up. I understand your dilemma about transportation and payments. You could try asking the vet's office to see if they have any suggestions as to how you might be able to help your cat - your kitty is indeed blessed to have you in his life! You obviously love & care for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even if you don't see fleas, they may be there. Try putting flea meds on him and see if that helps. If not, then we'll try something else.

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes my feral toms get "stud tail" which requires antibiotics to clear it up. I understand your dilemma about transportation and payments. You could try asking the vet's office to see if they have any suggestions as to how you might be able to help your cat - your kitty is indeed blessed to have you in his life! You obviously love & care for him.
Thank you so much!
Thank you for understanding! But will a stud tail be this bad? And will it really irratate him so much that it would result in him chewing it off? Have you experienced anything like my baby?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks like a flea allergy to me. Where does he sleep? If he has got fleas or some other infestation you will need to get rid of all of his bedding too.

Can you get some Frontline Plus for cats? They sell it in Walmart. It kills fleas and ticks, so it will probably help a lot. It's a bit more expensive than some other flea medications, but cheaper meds have been known to cause bad allergic reactions so it's best to go with a more effective, reliable one.

If he has an outdoor shelter toss the bedding, clean the inside of his shelter with a vacuum cleaner, then hot soapy water and allow to dry. Straw is a very good bedding for outdoor cats, much warmer than blankets.

You'll need to give him a dose of Frontline every four weeks to make sure he doesn't get fleas again. It's easy to give, just squirt the liquid onto the skin at the back of his neck. He mustn't be able to lick the liquid as it will make him sick. Back of the neck or head is the best place.

:goodluck:

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does your cat have fleas? A reaction to flea bites can resemble what I have seen. We don't have fleas in our area, thankfully.
Hi! Now i have tried combing his hair but hasnt seen any live ones, but other than chewing the hair off he has also bega n chweing some other hair from other parts, and scratching has increased

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That looks like a flea allergy to me. Where does he sleep? If he has got fleas or some other infestation you will need to get rid of all of his bedding too.

Can you get some Frontline Plus for cats? They sell it in Walmart. It kills fleas and ticks, so it will probably help a lot. It's a bit more expensive than some other flea medications, but cheaper meds have been known to cause bad allergic reactions so it's best to go with a more effective, reliable one.

If he has an outdoor shelter toss the bedding, clean the inside of his shelter with a vacuum cleaner, then hot soapy water and allow to dry. Straw is a very good bedding for outdoor cats, much warmer than blankets.

You'll need to give him a dose of Frontline every four weeks to make sure he doesn't get fleas again. It's easy to give, just squirt the liquid onto the skin at the back of his neck. He mustn't be able to lick the liquid as it will make him sick. Back of the neck or head is the best place.

:goodluck:
Yew my brother is going to by the frontline 6 pack flea treatment stuff (i live in europe so finding a pet store is actually very difficukt and expensive so we had to wait for today to be able to buy it, and thanks to the tip! I really hope its "just fleas" since im not able to go to the vetbc of my parents, snd i do suspect fleas bc his scatching and increased around the neck and head area too.

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: the skin has gotten better though he still bites his hair off, but im going to see in two weeks if it has gotten better

Parvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: thanks for all the help! IT WAS FLEAS! we bought the frontline cat medication, and it worked almost as soon as we put it on.
His tail is healing, and almost all the hair is returning and he has completely stopped bitting his hair off!!