Hair Balls

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We experienced our first hair ball as we got up this morning...Right where hubby steps out of bed😱 I pulled out the brushes we had from our dogs. I think brushing Suki with be as easy as brushing Rascals' and Lucys' teeth (NOT). The one site I found on it was just like the one on brushing dog teeth 😱 and just as likely!
As I was pulling out the brushes Suki climbed into the cabinet. I am still not used to opening a drawer or other opening, grabbing what I need and closing it quickly. I am learning though.
Both us are learning how many places there are for a cat to perch!
j

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stepping into a tossed up hairball is always so delightful, especially first thing in them morning :wink: I don't know much about Suki to know what she eats, how old she is, etc. to know what to advise, but there are certain things you can try, aside from brushing, that can help with hairballs. And with brushing, you can try leaving the brush out and let her come up to it and check it out before using it on her. Then just to a tiny bit, maybe just brush the top of her head to start, just to get her used to it, then ever so slowly start increasing the amount of time you spend grooming her.

A moist diet helps the hairballs get through their systems better, egg yolks help, hairball formulas help (those come in gels, treats, chewables that aren't made out of "bad stuff")

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats like brushing and some don't. My Krista doesn't. What you can do for cats who don't like brushing is stroke them gently with your hand in a nylon stocking. I was surprised by how much loose hair a stocking could pick up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stepping into a tossed up hairball is always so delightful, especially first thing in them morning :wink: I don't know much about Suki to know what she eats, how old she is, etc. to know what to advise, but there are certain things you can try, aside from brushing, that can help with hairballs. And with brushing, you can try leaving the brush out and let her come up to it and check it out before using it on her. Then just to a tiny bit, maybe just brush the top of her head to start, just to get her used to it, then ever so slowly start increasing the amount of time you spend grooming her.

A moist diet helps the hairballs get through their systems better, egg yolks help, hairball formulas help (those come in gels, treats, chewables that aren't made out of "bad stuff")
That's great advice on convincing a cat to enjoy brushing: we did similar things with Edwina, who's very fluffy and tends to get hairballs if we don't brush her regularly. Both our cats love to scent the brush if we hold it up for them so they can run the edge of their mouth along it. Edwina used to hate brushing but it's now part of her bedtime routine.

I put egg yolk in some of the cats' food because it's apparently helpful in keeping a cat's digestive system moving so hair leaves the stomach. We also feed an all-wet diet (other than a very small snack/treat of Dr. Elsey's dry food during the night) with a little pumpkin mixed into some of the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was just a small hairball. (That I didn't step into:D) I am leaving the furminator brush we bought when we had a dog and am leaving out on a table she walks across all the time. Suki sat on my lap all yesterday evening as I flipped around NetFlix trying to find something to watch. I figured out places she doesn't like to be rubbed. She bites my hand very lightly. Not bad for just starting our 3rd week together!
j