Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Public

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Connja4988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi never posted before but my cat of 2 years old has this feline anemia from a parasite. Last week Her red blood count is at 8%. She has been on doxy for a week , I do see some improvements, she's eating and drinking , she has bowel movements every two days . But her urination is terrible , she urinates a lot at times and in different spots . Concerned she still likes to eat her litter which tells me she still iron deficient . Has anyone been through this before with their cat . The vet actually thought she was not going to make it through the week.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, my dear! I am so sorry that this has happened to your cat. No, I don't have experience in this, but it may take a little time for people to realize that this is also "Feline Infectious Anemia", so they might not realize that they DO have experience with it. Right now, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone with your cat. We are here.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they not treating the anemia as well as the "infection"? The doxy is an antibiotic, but I don't think it will actually help with the anemia other than to stop it from getting any worse. Some cats actually needs blood transfusions if their anemia is severe. How about any additional nutritional supplements? Is she getting any of those?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Connja4988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the doxyis an antibiotic and she is getting supplements ., the vet said with the blood transfusion it needs to be cross matched . She's eating a little better now and she has bowel movements

Connja4988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, my dear! I am so sorry that this has happened to your cat. No, I don't have experience in this, but it may take a little time for people to realize that this is also "Feline Infectious Anemia", so they might not realize that they DO have experience with it. Right now, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone with your cat. We are here.
Thank you

Connja4988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they not treating the anemia as well as the "infection"? The doxy is an antibiotic, but I don't think it will actually help with the anemia other than to stop it from getting any worse. Some cats actually needs blood transfusions if their anemia is severe. How about any additional nutritional supplements? Is she getting any of those?
Thank you