Had To Replace My Dryer

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My almost 22 year old clothes dryer gave out this morning. I had my last load in it when it bit the dust, of course it was towels and I now have damp towels hanging up around the apartment. I had replaced the washing machine I had gotten with it about 11 years ago because the old one had started leaking, I knew I was probably on borrowed time with the washing machine so I got a new washing machine as well.

I got GE. The washing machine is one of the few that still has an agitator and a deep fill option. The one I have now is a front loader and it is so heavy I can't budge it so I haven't cleaned under or behind it, I know I am going to be embarrassed when they deliver the new machines Saturday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
22 years is good. The new one will probably not last that long. When my dryer died a little over a year ago, the sales people told me new appliances are only made to last 8-ish years. It does depend on usage, and could be more or less, but that's the average.

When I got my new dryer, I got a new top load washer too. It also has an agitator, though it's smaller than the old versions, and has a deep fill option. For most loads, however, I use the lower water level settings.

One thing the sales person told me is that washers don't last as long if you don't choose the right setting for each load. i.e. bedding for sheets, heavy duty for jeans/towels, etc. So that's something I keep in mind when I do laundry.

Good luck with the new washer & dryer. Hope they work well.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Twenty-two years is a good long service life. Nowadays you're lucky if you get half that (I swear the newer appliances have a self-destruct feature). I wouldn't worry about any grime under the old ones - the delivery people are used to that.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:you like the new ones!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved into this house nearly 15 years ago and inherited the washer and dryer which were each about twenty years old at the time. The washer finally bit the dust last summer but the dryer, except for sounding like a jet airplane, is still running just fine . The thing is my new washer is a large capacity so now I have to split a wash load to dry it. I should just get a new dryer but I can’t bring myself to get rid of a working appliance. And I go look at dryer prices and decide to wait a bit longer.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently got a Maytag washer and dryer and I made sure to get a washer with an agitator. I ordered it online because they don’t really carry basic ones like that in stores.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Maytag gas dryer, but a Whirlpool front- loading washer. We buy our appliances from a local store- not part of a chain- before the old ones die, and they take them to a place that reconditions them and then resells them as a low-cost alternative for people who can't afford to buy new. The washer is about 10 years old now, and the dryer is about 8, and both still work fine- unlike our gas stove that has been a problem child.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Lowe's and they had two GE's with an agitator and one Maytag with an agitator. The GE was a little cheaper so I got that. I know 11 years ago when I got my front loader washing machine Lowe's had none with an agitator. I think they are finding that people are not as willing to give up machines with an agitator as they thought they would be. I have heard a lot of people complain about top loaders without an agitator and I was tired of the front loader. I don't have room to put it on a pedestal and it is so heavy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought an LG last summer that had an agitator and loads of features. I usually don’t go for tons of features but really appreciate the ability to choose to have more water added to the wash or to do multiple rinses or spins.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all of the brands have brought back at least one model with an agitator. This one does work differently then the way I remember the one I had before the front loader I have now. I think the agitator is smaller and moves slower. The whole tub also goes back and forth as well as the agitator, I don't remember that with my last agitator machine. I would think that would make them easier on clothes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, dryers always last longer than washers. I suppose nobody wants to risk an accident with an appliance that holds that much water!

I have a top-loader without an agitator (came with the house, which I bought 5 years ago, so I don't know how old they are) and I like it BUT I have to choose the soak option or it doesn't clean the clothes. Before I figured that out I would pull the clothes out of the washer and there would actually be dry spots. I don't know if it's a first-generation top-loader without an agitator or if that's still a problem. But as long as I choose soak, I'm satisfied. I have noticed my clothes last longer now than with the old agitator washer (I once had a pair of pajama pants totally shredded because they got wrapped around the agitator) but maybe they sorted that out with the new ones.

My mom had a front-loader and didn't like it at all. She got a new top-loader without an agitator and is happy with it.

I bet you'll see a reduction in your electric bill. The new appliances use a lot less electricity.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on the dryer!

Do you like it? Has it cut down on your drying time?

Our Speed Queen has an agitator. It's probably my most favorite washer ever. I love that thing. :hearthrob: I'm not really sure what brand our dryer is; that's pretty pathetic. :paperbag: I use the thing constantly. We got the dryer a couple of years after we got the SQ.

Just came back upstairs. It's a Maytag Bravos dryer; I think it was a Lowes special when we bought it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Replacing major appliances is always a big deal. I hope you will enjoy your new one. Whenever I have to go that route, it will be a Speed Queen to match the washer I replace four or so years ago.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My washer and dryer are 22 years old. Kenmores. Here’s wishing them many more healthy, happy years. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a GE with the agitator and deep fill option. It did take some looking to find one in my price range!

Our old front loading washer had broken mid cycle so there was still some water in it. And being up on pedestals it hadn't been moved since it was installed. The litter boxes sit in front of the washer and dryer so you can imagine how much litter was under them. I anticipated sweeping as soon as they pulled the old one out. I did NOT anticipate the hose dumping water when they disconnected it. You can imagine: clumping cat litter + water = concrete. :paperbag: Which I frantically tried to clean up with the nearest towels before they came back in with my new machine. My nice off-white towels. :paperbag: Thankfully they cleaned up just fine. :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of dryers, I thought I'd post the link to this news story I read the other day. It's a reminder to not only clean out the dryer lint trap, but also the dryer tubing.

Family issues warning after 16-year-old dies in fire caused by dryer
Thanks for posting that. I'm a newbie when it comes to adulting (still!) and did not know that about dryers. :eek: We will be checking the tube once a year now! Good thing I found out now since we bought a new one in December.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My new washer and dryer are being delivered today. I am going to start with a load of jeans so I will see how well the dryer does. I know my old dryer was taking longer to dry a load then it used to. It quit tumbling when it died. I heard something that sounded like it fell, when I went in the dryer was still running but it wasn't tumbling. It was a Whirlpool and I can't complain after 22 years.

They always get some water on the floor when they disconnect a washer, it can't be helped. There will always be some water in the hoses. I will be frantically trying to clean up before they bring in the new machines.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you unhook it yourself before they come? When I got my new washer and dryer, they requested I unhook the hoses before they came. And that I have new hoses for them to use to install the new washer.

Hope it all goes well with the install, and that you love your new machines.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to buy all new stuff for them to hook it up. They actually wouldn't hook them up unless I bought new. I also had to get a new exhaust tube for the dryer and a new dryer plug. The washing machine is a front loader that is so heavy I can't budge it so I really can't do anything with it. They are bringing all the new stuff with them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They just called and will be here in about 15 minutes. I have moved everything in the kitchen and living room to one side so they will have a clear path. It's bad enough that they have to deal with stairs especially with that heavy washing machine that I have now.