Had to put my 10 year old cat down... Depressed...

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how sorry I am that you had to make that awful decision. Your life and his were and will be so intertwined. You were a good cat dad from the first day to that most painful last day.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how sorry I am that you had to make that awful decision. Your life and his were and will be so intertwined. You were a good cat dad from the first day to that most painful last day.

Very well stated, zedxyzed. He put his friend's needs before his own. That is true love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is something I’m a bit worried about. How long can cats have cancer without showing symptoms or having complications? How long on average from start to finish does it take cancer to kill a cat? I am trying to pinpoint when everything went wrong with Ginger because throughout multiple vet visits in the past he checked out fine even in his bloodwork.

Within the last 4 to 5 months I brought home a new cat to the household. Her name is Louis. She is kind of a runt but I bought her from PetCo where she was donated from an animal shelter. I am highly concerned that she may have FeLV. She had a minor sneeze when I first got her which wasn’t noticeable until about a week into owning her. It also spread to a few of my other cats. I gave them Lyssine thinking it was just a cold / flu. But I’m thinking twice that it may have been FeLV and it spread to Ginger which increased his risks of getting Cancer and ultimately killed him. And unfortunately may have spread to my other 4 cats... I took Marshmallow to the vet today but they didn’t do XRays like I requested this time and only felt around his body and said they didn’t see anything wrong with him ... he’s going back on Friday for dental extractions and I’m going to make sure they do the XRays this time... is there any way to check to see if a cat has FeLV?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can test for it. My cats have leukemia. They have had unexplainable sicknesses for about 4 years, they are all 7 and 8 now. some cats can fight off it off, my Yammy was so sick when he was diagnosed they said there was no hope, 'any time now.' They said his white blood count was almost nothing. That was 17 months ago! They are strictly inside now since their immune systems are so compromised, I give them DMG and LifeGold (Amazon) every morning mixed in a lickable treat to build up their immune systems. They CAN make new white blood cells if they can hang on until their bone marrow can make more, or until the bone marrow is compromised. Older cats are the most likely to survive, kittens usually die within two years because their immune systems are underdeveloped.
Cat are MASTERS at hiding injury and illness. Cancer usually develops for years before they are sick enough to show signs. There are new studies now that indicate FeLV does not spread casually from eating together or sharing a litter box, it is transmitted from a deep bite like most other diseases are. My cats survived distemper that killed their whole family (except their mother) and most of the ferals years ago too. They eventually moved into the house and were vaccinated when my house cats died. They are happy and healthy right now, we just take one day at a time!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another morning goes by. I am coping alittle better and no longer awakening with tears although that still happens here and there when I remember him but less frequently. The pain of his absence is still emense though. I find myself talking to him hoping he can hear me as a way to still be with his presence... ...but I can’t feel him. Maybe I am overlooking him... a week ago I did ask if his presence could be made known to me and on my way to work I subconsciously grabbed a jacket and when I got to work I found that jacket was covered in his hair. I guess I shouldn’t bug him it’s just comforting knowing he’s still there when I can’t see or experience him. I’ve been hoping for dreams but I haven’t had those of him either.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These intense feelings will fade in time, sometimes signs come in very subtle ways. Remember butterflies and cardinals are signs from our departed loved ones too. You'll always hurt, but your body will find ways to cope, it can't go on this way idefinitely. Just take one day at a time......

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Another morning goes by. I am coping alittle better and no longer awakening with tears although that still happens here and there when I remember him but less frequently. The pain of his absence is still emense though. I find myself talking to him hoping he can hear me as a way to still be with his presence... ...but I can’t feel him. Maybe I am overlooking him... a week ago I did ask if his presence could be made known to me and on my way to work I subconsciously grabbed a jacket and when I got to work I found that jacket was covered in his hair. I guess I shouldn’t bug him it’s just comforting knowing he’s still there when I can’t see or experience him. I’ve been hoping for dreams but I haven’t had those of him either.

You are trying too hard now, which is understandable because you are in pain.
I tried in vain to find Jeff after she left, (if I had known a spell to bring her back I would not have hesitated in using it). I found her in some of the unlikeliest places. One was at a hotel room that I stayed at for a month while my house was being worked on. Her kneading on my leg and her strong presence made me almost want to reach out and pet her. The fact that it was away from the only house she ever knew made me realize that she is with me everywhere I go. She never left and neither has Ginger.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I miss Ginger very much right now. The pain and tears comes and goes but I am always thinking of him and hoping I will be reunited with him. I had to travel this week and passed by the place where I picked him up as a kitten several years ago and I was reminded of him. I keep asking myself if I did the right thing by so abruptly euthanizing him especially given I didn’t know he was so ill just minutes prior to doing it. It’s so weird thinking just days before that he was playing with me, grasping my feet when I’m on the ground and kicking his rear legs against my shoes while grappling my ankle... or climbing the counter tops when I was making food.. and now he’s just a pile of ashes. I haven’t had any dreams of him, well one but nothing happened in it. I was just letting him and Marshmallow into the kitchen by opening a door. Either way the lack of his presence leaves a big emptiness in me that I cannot fill. I just now feel myself longing to see him again.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are not alone it's been 5 weeks since Batman left me to cross the bridge. I still cry for him on occasion because of the guilt associated with putting him down. Hang in there it does lessen over time. Your fur baby will greet you when you arrive.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss Ginger very much right now. The pain and tears comes and goes but I am always thinking of him and hoping I will be reunited with him. I had to travel this week and passed by the place where I picked him up as a kitten several years ago and I was reminded of him. I keep asking myself if I did the right thing by so abruptly euthanizing him especially given I didn’t know he was so ill just minutes prior to doing it. It’s so weird thinking just days before that he was playing with me, grasping my feet when I’m on the ground and kicking his rear legs against my shoes while grappling my ankle... or climbing the counter tops when I was making food.. and now he’s just a pile of ashes. I haven’t had any dreams of him, well one but nothing happened in it. I was just letting him and Marshmallow into the kitchen by opening a door. Either way the lack of his presence leaves a big emptiness in me that I cannot fill. I just now feel myself longing to see him again.

I feel for you. There isn't a moment that I don't wish Jeff would come by and get me already since this life sucks.

You just lost him so there will be many hurtful first time moments- the holidays will be particularity hard. Please talk and write about him.When I lost my dad I wrote him letters everyday for a year. Do something special in Ginger's name that will honor him and give you some peace of mind.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had three dreams of Ginger... two of them of them were over a week ago and the other was last night.

The first one, I was in my apartment in Seattle Washington when I used to live there. Ginger and Marshmallow were there laying on the window panes looking between outdoors and me. I didn’t really interact with them but it felt normal that they were there. Similarly to how things were when I did live there in Seattle about 9 years ago and they were with me. I was for the most part just carrying on about my day like I normally would back then.

The next dream, I was living somewhere in the PNW on the side of a hill and tall trees.Once again it felt normal, don’t know how I got this house but I knew it was mine and my family came over to visit me. I had to open a door to let Ginger and Marshmallow into the kitchen and then I fed them both. Later on, for some reason I had to take Ginger outside. It was only Ginger. I took him for a walk and he followed me and meowed here and there. We came to a cross street and Ginger hesitated, he wanted to go another way but I called for him and he trusted me and he continued to follow me as we crossed the street. There was nothing but a forest across the street, largely undeveloped land and thick forestry. Once we got across the street we were crossing, I woke up...

The last dream I had last night... this one was alittle different than the ones before. This dream started off where I knew he was dead. He wasn’t immediately in my presence but I was in a house that largely represented the house that I lived in when I brought him home... then suddenly unexpectedly he came out of a room and just out of nowhere I just knew he was alive and I wouldn’t ever be separated from him again. He wasn’t old, he wasn’t young. He looked about what he looked like when he was 2 or 3 years old. Youthful but mature. There were no flaws on him and he was energetic and happy. I immediately went after him and kept him as close as possible because I didn’t want him to be separated from me. I went to get him some food immediately and when I came back just as quickly as he came he was also... gone... and I woke up.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so so sorry for your loss. I lost my little Tiger 4 weeks ago tomorrow and I still cry for him every night. He was only 11 months old, he didn’t have a chance to live a long life. i have 12 indoor cats, one who is 16 years old and I know her time i approaching. Tiger had a very special place I my heart because I had lost my son in August 2019 and I truly believe he sent Tiger to me. ( that’s along story)
Tiger was so lively and such a precious little guy, I think I’m feeling his loss more than other cats that have crossed over the bridge. Everything happened so fast and at the end he was at a critical care hospital and was suffering so I had to decide to have him put to sleep...I picture his little face at the end, talked to him and told him I loved him and then he was gone. My heart and prayers go out to you...it’s so hard to deal with and I pray everyday that Tiger’s little spirit is with my son now and they’re both not suffering and in a better place. Be thankful for your time you had with Ginger....dont dwell on what you did or didn’t do in the last days....I know it’s hard because I do the same thing... RIP Ginger