Hacking/heaving Cough?

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 yr old son has occasionally had this hacking/heaving "cough" but it seems less like a cold cough and more like he is trying to throw up something, except nothing ever comes out.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a hairball issue?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you able to give him a little bit of plain Vaseline?
Also, is your litter really dusty?
Are you feeding canned, to help get more moisture into his system?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Are you able to give him a little bit of plain Vaseline?
Also, is your litter really dusty?
Are you feeding canned, to help get more moisture into his system?
I haven't tried Vaseline yet. I did see that online but I am waiting to see the vet to confirm that's safe.
I use the Arm&Hammer Double Duty litter. It's litter so there's definitely dust but I dont find it very dusty.
My cats mainly eat wet food. Dry food is just for snacking. They eat Weruva Beef & Chicken pate. Over a day they finish like 5 small cans or 3 big cans between the two of them (I split the portions in half and no my cats aren't overweight :))

I am taking him to the vet in a bit but I am hoping to get some info beforehand because vet tries to push procedures on me and I am trying to save money :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider a less dusty litter. Something I'm doing is mixing littermaid's walnut (the best of this type, Walmart carries it) with the clumping litter, it absorbs the dust.

In any case, let us know what the vet says :vibes::crossfingers:

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might consider a less dusty litter. Something I'm doing is mixing littermaid's walnut (the best of this type, Walmart carries it) with the clumping litter, it absorbs the dust.

In any case, let us know what the vet says :vibes::crossfingers:
Leo is back from the vet. Poor thing was so stressed out. The vet did the regular checks and said he seems fine but cannot confirm if its hairball yet. She said other possibilities are 1) asthma 2) heart conditions.
my heart sank when she said this because I don't know how my healthy playful boy who is always indoors can conjure up so many issues (he had an episode of Giardia recently but that was from the new cat I brought in)

So I now have laxatone (a product that helps with hairballs?) and we will see how it goes for the next 2-3 days. I am to follow up next week if the hacking/heaving cough continues and it will be x-rays from that point. I hope it doesnt come to that and it's just a hairball :(

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Emerson does this once a year, without fail. I'm almost positive his are seasonal allergies due to it cropping up annually in the late summer. Maybe your boy has allergies too? Do you have any windows open? New products for yourself? Candles? New laundry detergent?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::crossfingers:
Try a calming spray (the carrier in and out, the car seat) and treats prior to the next vet trip

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emerson does this once a year, without fail. I'm almost positive his are seasonal allergies due to it cropping up annually in the late summer. Maybe your boy has allergies too? Do you have any windows open? New products for yourself? Candles? New laundry detergent?
Wow I see! Honestly I can't think of any environmental changes except my mom has come back after 4 months and has cleaned the house quite thoroughly recently. But we use PineSol and have used it before without affecting our cats.

It's quite cold here in Canada right now so no windows opens. Heat is always up which makes our air very dry. I myself have been having breathing issues and taking longer to recover from the cold so I just got a humidifier. Can dry air be a factor?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dry air can be a factor as can be the cleaning and also the use of pine sol, combined with no open windows.
However, if the cough continues you'll want to take your baby back in :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo is back from the vet. Poor thing was so stressed out. The vet did the regular checks and said he seems fine but cannot confirm if its hairball yet. She said other possibilities are 1) asthma 2) heart conditions.
my heart sank when she said this because I don't know how my healthy playful boy who is always indoors can conjure up so many issues (he had an episode of Giardia recently but that was from the new cat I brought in)

So I now have laxatone (a product that helps with hairballs?) and we will see how it goes for the next 2-3 days. I am to follow up next week if the hacking/heaving cough continues and it will be x-rays from that point. I hope it doesnt come to that and it's just a hairball :(
I hope so, too :alright:
We have a cat that's asthmatic and he's 12 or so, and doing fine.
Did he cough MORE at the vets office, I've noticed that stress can sometimes bother an asthmatic or a heart patient and the stress can bring on a coughing fit that can be worse than normal. I don't think stress affects hair balls :tongue:
He's seen the vet and right now all you can do is wait and give him the laxatone, it might help you and the vet both if you make a note of how often you see him coughing during the next week. If you have a video camera it would help the vet maybe to get a video of him coughing.
:wave3:

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did he cough MORE at the vets office, I've noticed that stress can sometimes bother an asthmatic or a heart patient and the stress can bring on a coughing fit that can be worse than normal. I don't think stress affects hair balls :tongue:
He's seen the vet and right now all you can do is wait and give him the laxatone, it might help you and the vet both if you make a note of how often you see him coughing during the next week. If you have a video camera it would help the vet maybe to get a video of him coughing.
yes thats exactly what the vet said. to catch it on camera and send it to her if i see it again. i will definitely have to look out for it whenever im home :(

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does your baby take anything for asthma?

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, seeing my other cat Lily is sneezing sometimes. Now I'm really worried about the environment and air quality in my house. I swear we broom and vacuum about twice a day to keep dust out. Humidifier arriving tomorrow and I will look for dust free litter as well.
In the mean time - i was reading that human grade lysine can be added to cat food at first symptoms of a cat's cold? is this true and should i do it as I don't want her to catch a full blown cold?

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
How are things today?
L-Lysine might help :vibes::crossfingers:
Hello and thanks for following up. Yesterday i had a 10 hour work day (11 hours with commute) so unfortunately I havent kept a close eye on him. My mom reported that he did not do the hacking thing which is good news. I also saw that day after the laxatone his poo came out soft (not alarming because it is after all a laxative) and there was a bunch of hair stuck on it (sorry for the graphic image lol). he is getting a little bit of laxatone today as well. the vet directed 2-3 days so I hope it was just a hairball issue.

Lily is sneezing sometimes still but I am planning to give her the lysine once I find a grinder!

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a grinder! Can someone tell me how much human grade L-lysine I can give my 7 month old kitten? She is sneezing more and more :("