Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allergies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

My21panickingchemicalcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her eye isnt infected or irritated and she doesn't seem bothered by it, but it's actually in her eye and not just in the outer corner. It comes and goes. Any ideas what this is?

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty girl! Looks like eye boogers, just dried discharge. As long as the discharge isn't discolored green or yellow, she's okay. You can wipe it out with a damp, warm cloth or cotton ball.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even see it in the picture. I'm assuming that it's reddish, because that's the usual color; is that correct? When cat's tears dry, that's the color they become. It can be quite worrisome when you've never seen it before, raising mental images of blood in the tear ducts or something similar, but it's actually totally innocuous. If your cat will allow you to do so you can wipe it away, but if that bothers her just leave it - no harm will be done.

Margret

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Casper is an all white cat, his eye boogers stand out a lot more than they might with cats of other colors. I was a bit concerned when I first saw them.

Casper's vet told us that ultraviolet light reacts with the cat's tears as it builds up in the tear ducts and causes it to darken. As long as it doesn't bother the cat it's no problem.

Just take a moist tissue or cotton ball and wipe his eyes clean.

Casper doesn't really like to have his eyes cleaned but he does seem to like it when his eye boogers are gone so he has learned to sort of tolerate it.