Guinea Pig I Was Pet Sitting...

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure if I could post in this forum or if I should use the one about other animals, so feel free to move... Also, I won't mention any names since the animal who passed away wasn't my own.

My friend flew home over winter break to see her family and left her sweet little guinea pig in my care. I received her a few days before Christmas and weighed her (as I do with my cats every week) at 507g. I have almost no prior experience with guinea pigs and I thought the little sweetie was under a year old, so that weight made sense to me, although she felt a little bony (which I just attributed to maybe her breed or young age). She had such a healthy appetite, and would devour the veg I gave her every day. About a week in I had texted her current weight to my friend (501g), but she couldn't remember what her previous weight had been, but she didn't seem too worried, so I didn't worry.

For a week and a half everything was amazing. Little girl was eating tons of hay, drank almost her whole bottle of water every day, and ate the 1/2-2/3 cup of various veg I gave her every day. By day 4 she was squeaking at me for food when I entered the room, or out of boredom, and waking me up several times a night with her activities!

But then one day I noticed she didn't eat any hay or drink any water. I texted my friend and she said that the piggie sometimes didn't eat for a day so I should just wait and observe for another day. The next day, she didn't eat any hay or drink water, and she only ate the softest parts of the veg I gave her (the greenest bit of leaves, insides of cucumbers, wouldn't touch carrots or bell peppers) so I knew something was wrong (I suspected tooth problems). I brought her into the emergency vet the next day, where they were able to give me her previous records. About 3 months ago she had weighed 800g! I was absolutely astounded at the weight loss. And turns out she was around 2 years old, which was so much older than I had thought, and meant she was severely underweight for a female guinea pig. I felt so stupid. I should have asked her age right away!

The emergency vet and I were in contact with my friend through the whole process, and she told them to keep the guinea pig overnight and give intensive critical care treatment. She hadn't realized her girl had lost so much weight either. I went home that day feeling like I had failed my friend and failed the sweet little guinea pig. I was halfway through my humane society volunteer shift the next morning when I got the information that she'd been euthanized, as there wasn't anything they could do for her. And now I feel terrible. If I had just brought her in a day earlier she might have had a better chance! She was such a sweet little girl who loved to just cuddle up on my chest and chew veg contentedly. I'm absolutely frustrated with myself for not noticing the signs earlier! I should have followed my gut! Being able to feel the ribs and spine so clearly aren't normal, but I just assumed she was healthy when I got her. I'm such an idiot and now she's dead...

So, basically, even though I won't mention the name of the piggie, if anyone can send good thoughts/prayers her owners way, I would really appreciate it. She doesn't return from vacation for another couple weeks, so I can't imagine how awful she must be feeling. I'm absolutely heartbroken and I only knew the sweetie for two weeks, her owner had her for 4 months and must be in immense pain. I don't know how I'm going to face her after this. Just the few phone calls we've had have been so sad. So please, prayers for her to feel better and recover from the loss of her beloved pet would be really appreciated. Thank you all.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I want to compliment you on being such a kind, caring person. To take such pains to care for that sweet little girl, and to know something was wrong and to bring her to the vet was highly commendable. If your friend did not notice that her little girl was declining, how were you to do so in such a short time? That you DID notice and took steps to try to correct it was really all you could have done. I would definitely have the vet put into a short note on what the possible causes could be, it may help your friend to know that it most likely wasn't anything she did. If there was something pointed to, maybe it can be avoided or diagnosed much more quickly in the future, saving further pain.
That she left this world under your watch is heartbreaking, but I truly think her problems went much deeper and for a longer time than anyone knew. It was beyond your control and I pray that you will not hold guilt in your heart for something that you had no control over. But you will, because you have a kind and loving heart.
It hurts, it hurts bad any time one of these beautiful creatures leave us. You develop a bond of love that ties your souls together, so your friend will be grieving for a loss to her life and to her heart. And you will too, because even in that short time you develop a bond, and the caring for your friends feelings adds to the loss. So I hope the two of you can find comfort in each other and grieve for that little girl and what she meant to you.
But remember, she would never want you to be so sad because of her. You have to face the future and fill it with positive things, with love and sunshine, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. She was in your lives for such a little while, but she brought happiness and love for the most part. She was there for a reason. Although her new path takes her down another path, she will always parallel your own until the day it crosses once more. Don't dwell on the end, it brings nothing but heartache. Use your good memories to comfort your broken heart. Take care, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......RIP dear little one. You will never be forgotten and will forever hold a place in a loving heart. May your journey to the Rainbow Bridge be a swift one, may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright:

I think you are being unnecessarily hard on yourself. You did everything you could for that sweet little piggie. Her owner must be hurting right now but it may help to know that her girl was being cared for by someone who genuinely did care. What happened to her piggie is very unfortunate but sometimes this happens no matter what we do to stop it. It likely would have happened if her owner had been home. It does sound like the piggie had been declining for a while. What happened is not your fault.

RIP little one. You were loved by two people who will keep you in their hearts forever. An animal that was loved like that will never be forgotten. She will never forget you either. Those two weeks were just as special to her as they were to you. :hugs:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to care a hamster, for a couple of months. She was a surplus from the laboratory "animal crew". We ended up in loving her, although we knew her lifespan is about 2 years (more or less). One day the poor hamster ceased to eat and was laying flat on the floor for hours, when I decided to pay him a ride to the vet nearby.

The vet gave her an antibiotic shot (as far as I remember) and ... the hamster died in my arms in a couple of seconds!

I still remember the feelings of that day and I rather pass the details. But in some way, that creature, together with others who crossed my life in various moment, prepared me for the next one. I have to admit that is very difficult for me to see animals passing by, but in my opinion, no matter how painful may be in a certain point of time, living with animals is far more rewarding than a life between concrete walls and no animals around.

We, the humans, have to play the arm of the Faith, both in the Beginning and in the End of our companions. We take the place of the Faith acting in the wilderness. But it is not our fault when the Faith decides to act through us. It is not our decision. When a wolf kills a deer, is that the wolf's fault? When the fox kills a rabbit, but she could not eat it, shall we blame the Fox? Very much alike, when we have to play a painful role in an animal's End, shall we blame ourselves for doing something that is not up to us?

Head bow and my appreciation for all who care companion creatures and suffer!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Piggie, dream you deep. You are not forgotten.

How could you know, in only days, what your friend did not notice, who lived with the piggie? You did all that anyone could have done, and more, far more, than many would have done. Be at ease, my Friend. You did well, you did all that you could possibly do. Little Piggie knows that you cared.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi for the loss of sweet little Guinea Pig who you helped with all your might and kindness. I will most definitely keep you and friend in my prayers and I have already asked in prayer for comfort for both of you. You were a wonderful friend to this little guy when he needed you. Please go easy on yourself, you were so kind to this dear creature, doing more than anyone would have thought to do. :alright: