Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
A2EF6441-0053-444B-81F2-539EC09126C6.jpeg
242675C6-228A-43FF-9C82-DBC20A1E3655.jpeg
EE583E5E-FF5E-49DA-B4B9-63A1143A925E.jpeg
CB5FE443-1FD0-4B27-A73B-87B474C26F95.jpeg
I have currently 3 cats and a kitten. One cat is currently back in my home country while the 2 cats and the kitten are with me here in abroad.

Although I love all my cats, I feel I favor Bourbon more than anyone else (the grey one). Hate to admit it but she is my favorite - the only one who can sleep with me; serve meals even in bed, handfeed her when she tends to get picky, follow everything I think she wants me to do. My husband complained already many times that I am spoiling her too much, that is why she is snobby and bratty and grumpy when she wants to - well, most of the time.

Are you also the same way for any or one of your cats? Or is it only me? Then I’d feel more horrible since I should not be doing this.

Ps. All my cats are rescues, spayed/neutered except for the kitten.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong in having a favourite IMO. It's something that can't be helped because it's the heart dictating the feeling. My soul cat is Oliver so yes, he's my favourite. I must stress that the others get all the love, attention, food, play etc. that Oliver gets but he responds more deeply than the others, to me in particular, so I can't help it. If you denied the feeling then that wouldn't be honest but you'd still feel the same way, just not voice it.
They're not human kids so if all the same love and care is there for all they won't be concerned or even notice it probably. It's not as if they will grow up and throw accusations of favouritism at us such as human kids may do.
I don't think your treatment of Bourbon will make her more ' snobby and bratty' than she may already be ;). I think that's anthropomorphising too much.
So, don't feel guilty, enjoy the special relationship in the knowledge that your others always get all the love and attention that they need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong in having a favourite IMO. It's something that can't be helped because it's the heart dictating the feeling. My soul cat is Oliver so yes, he's my favourite. I must stress that the others get all the love, attention, food, play etc. that Oliver gets but he responds more deeply than the others, to me in particular, so I can't help it. If you denied the feeling then that wouldn't be honest but you'd still feel the same way, just not voice it.
They're not human kids so if all the same love and care is there for all they won't be concerned or even notice it probably. It's not as if they will grow up and throw accusations of favouritism at us such as human kids may do.
I don't think your treatment of Bourbon will make her more ' snobby and bratty' than she may already be ;). I think that's anthropomorphising too much.
So, don't feel guilty, enjoy the special relationship in the knowledge that your others always get all the love and attention that they need.
Thank you. AT least I feel quite better. She is the first one I am looking for when I get home from work, even when the other 2 are welcoming me by the door. No matter how naughty she gets, I do not mind. I can't help it. The first time I saw her matted and thin and dirty in the street, there was something in Bourbon that bonded me to her.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something that I've said for years to the guilty party....YOU ARE LUCKY YOU ARE SO DARN CUTE, OTHERWISE YOU WOULD BE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!! I often wonder if they know "they are mom's favorite" and aren't too concerned about the PRETEND harsh words :seesaw:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love both my girls but their needs and behaviors are completely different! Raja is my greeter cat. She's the one to welcome me home and wait for me to drop everything and just spend time with her the moment I walk through the door. Mizu generally will walk by and give me a nod of her head as if to say "hey, you're home." Raja is my snuggle cat. She's the one to crawl in my lap if I'm relaxing. Mizu is my busy cat. She needs to be wherever I am, participating or observing what I'm doing. Raja is sweet whereas Mizu is playful. Raja is behaved and Mizu makes us laugh with her mischief. So when I need to chill, I favor Raja because she's happy to oblige me. When I need to laugh, Mizu is usually up to something to crack me up (as I'm typing, she's sliding on a plastic bag that she thinks will support her weight).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link is undoubtedly my baby. He is not a snuggler by any stretch of the imagination; which just means I cherish the times he does want to snuggle. Most of the time he has this, what I feel is a, front of being the tough guy in the group. He always runs to the other two cats aide. He checks on our rabbit every morning and night. He is the guardian and protector of the group. When he is sick or scared he runs to me for help, every time. He's gotten a paw stuck on his collar and came hopping up to me three legged to fix it. When he broke his leg he waited in the driveway for me to get home to help him (after being missing for four days). When he needs medication, he is wonderful about taking it until he feels better. He's just my goofy gentle giant baby boy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rocket too. She is my snuggle buddy always wanting to be touching me. She paws at my legs for attention if I am not giving her enough. She's the prissy princess of the household and we all bow down to her. But.... she's not Link.

They both get love and affection as they desire. They both get whatever their little hearts need or want. But....

Link is my baby.
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_20180411_171314.jpg

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Something that I've said for years to the guilty party....YOU ARE LUCKY YOU ARE SO DARN CUTE, OTHERWISE YOU WOULD BE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!! I often wonder if they know "they are mom's favorite" and aren't too concerned about the PRETEND harsh words :seesaw:
Yep, I try to sound "harsh" sometimes, too. But I guess it has no effect on my Bourbon. LOL.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Link is undoubtedly my baby. He is not a snuggler by any stretch of the imagination; which just means I cherish the times he does want to snuggle. Most of the time he has this, what I feel is a, front of being the tough guy in the group. He always runs to the other two cats aide. He checks on our rabbit every morning and night. He is the guardian and protector of the group. When he is sick or scared he runs to me for help, every time. He's gotten a paw stuck on his paw and came hopping up to me three legged to fix it. When he broke his leg he waited in the driveway for me to get home to help him (after being missing for four days). When he needs medication, he is wonderful about taking it until he feels better. He's just my goofy gentle giant baby boy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rocket too. She is my snuggle buddy always wanting to be touching me. She paws at my legs for attention if I am not giving her enough. She's the prissy princess of the household and we all bow down to her. But.... she's not Link.

They both get love and affection as they desire. They both get whatever their little hearts need or want. But....

Link is my baby.
View attachment 270060 View attachment 270061
First of all, your cat is adorbs!

So I am not alone. Feels quite better knowing that. Bourbon is also not a snuggler, so like you, when she tries to snuggle, it feels like heaven to me. Although she sleeps with me in bed, she does not want really to snuggle or to be petted a lot of times.

I do love my other cats. Barley is the comedian in our family. He is funny but he does not seem to know that he makes us laugh. He is a gentle boy who also taps me softly when he needs something, not like Bourbon who finds joy in swatting me in the face when she demands food. But still Barley isn't Bourbon.

I call Bourbon "my only girl", although my other kitty Bailey is also a girl. It is how I tell her she is my favorite, without having to say the words directly and risk hurting my other cats' "feelings".

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Piper is my first and only cat, so I guess she is favorite by default. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for the dog story to follow. :wink:

But back when I had dogs (all rescues with different stories), I definitely had a favorite even though I loved them all very much. He was a big, clumsy, scary smart black lab named Casey. Cody was my protector, Sydney was snuggle buddy, and Phoenix was my comedian...

Casey was the kind of dog you write books about... he once tricked Sydney into giving up a toy she had by convincing her that a wrapper he found in the garbage was way more fun. He once had to be carried off a hiking trail on a stretcher because he wouldn't move another inch. He popped the lid off a 1 gallon tub of glucosamine supplements and ate the whole thing (and spend the whole night with an upset stomach). He was a counter surfer and stole countless food items and managed to turn the stove on on two separate occasions in the process. He was the kind of dog most people don't enjoy and give away. But despite all the shredded toilet paper rolls, stolen loaves of bread, and challenging behavior, he was my heart dog. I think it's because he was such an underdog... I defended him fiercely to everyone because no one else appreciated him and his quirks.

Casey and Sydney:

Me and the labs:

Casey and Phoenix:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Link and Rocket are too cute to even pretend to speak HARSHLY to! And as far as LABS go, they can be destroying the House and still are so VERY PRECIOUS! THIS SITE SHOULD BE "THE CUTEST KIDS ON THE BLOCK SITE":running:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I cheated somehow. Olive is the first cat I’ve been solely responsible for. She is also the cutest, the most fun to play with, the most fun to feed and the most cuddliest cat I’ve ever met. Maybe that’s biased and maybe that is true. Randall’s favorite is Gohan because of the deep ex-feral kitten bond and even he says sometimes he’s a little jealous at how delightful Olive is.

So of course she’s my favorite.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Piper is my first and only cat, so I guess she is favorite by default. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for the dog story to follow. :wink:

But back when I had dogs (all rescues with different stories), I definitely had a favorite even though I loved them all very much. He was a big, clumsy, scary smart black lab named Casey. Cody was my protector, Sydney was snuggle buddy, and Phoenix was my comedian...

Casey was the kind of dog you write books about... he once tricked Sydney into giving up a toy she had by convincing her that a wrapper he found in the garbage was way more fun. He once had to be carried off a hiking trail on a stretcher because he wouldn't move another inch. He popped the lid off a 1 gallon tub of glucosamine supplements and ate the whole thing (and spend the whole night with an upset stomach). He was a counter surfer and stole countless food items and managed to turn the stove on on two separate occasions in the process. He was the kind of dog most people don't enjoy and give away. But despite all the shredded toilet paper rolls, stolen loaves of bread, and challenging behavior, he was my heart dog. I think it's because he was such an underdog... I defended him fiercely to everyone because no one else appreciated him and his quirks.

Casey and Sydney:

Me and the labs:

Casey and Phoenix:
My goodness! What adorable canines you got there! I have also 3 dogs that I love to the moon and back.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I mean, there's my cat and my fiancé's cat. My cat is my favorite and his cat is his, so it works out, even if we both love both of them.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I cheated somehow. Olive is the first cat I’ve been solely responsible for. She is also the cutest, the most fun to play with, the most fun to feed and the most cuddliest cat I’ve ever met. Maybe that’s biased and maybe that is true. Randall’s favorite is Gohan because of the deep ex-feral kitten bond and even he says sometimes he’s a little jealous at how delightful Olive is.

So of course she’s my favorite.
Now I'm good. At least I know I am not the only one having favorites. :)

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Link and Rocket are too cute to even pretend to speak HARSHLY to! And as far as LABS go, they can be destroying the House and still are so VERY PRECIOUS! THIS SITE SHOULD BE "THE CUTEST KIDS ON THE BLOCK SITE":running:
True. We can't get enough of these cutie pies.

MrHandsomesMama

Happily wrapped around his little paws!
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, your cat is adorbs!

So I am not alone. Feels quite better knowing that. Bourbon is also not a snuggler, so like you, when she tries to snuggle, it feels like heaven to me. Although she sleeps with me in bed, she does not want really to snuggle or to be petted a lot of times.

I do love my other cats. Barley is the comedian in our family. He is funny but he does not seem to know that he makes us laugh. He is a gentle boy who also taps me softly when he needs something, not like Bourbon who finds joy in swatting me in the face when she demands food. But still Barley isn't Bourbon.

I call Bourbon "my only girl", although my other kitty Bailey is also a girl. It is how I tell her she is my favorite, without having to say the words directly and risk hurting my other cats' "feelings".
Hahaha, I am the same. I always whisper it, even though I know the Lucky can still hear, if she were listening.