Guilt over surrendering my cat

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
today was the worst day of my life. my cat who i had since 2013 when she was 2 months old, i surrendered her to the shelter today. she always had an aggressive side. but today for an unknown reason had another episode. where she tried to attack me and was stalking me. i left to do laundry and saw her meowing on the security cam. and when i cam back so wanted to attack again, so it doesnt make sense for her to be so "bipolar" like. so i surrendered her, her behavior was getting more scary and worse.
now i cant help but think that i made the worst mistake. i want her back. but i know it wouldnt be safe. but i dont have high hopes that the shelter would be able to adopt her out. and that she will live the rest of her life in a cage.
maybe i should of taken her to the vet to try some meds? but the next appt isnt till feb 9th. i feel i just gave up on her and keep thinking shes so scared right now. she was fine yesterday and now shes at the shelter. most days shes good. she gets scared easily and any little thing could set her off but for the most part she was good.
idk where to put this at but i need some advice

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about the spot you are in. I would think it through overnight to make sure you really know what you want to do and then if you feel you want to try to get her back, contact the shelter. Be aware though that some shelters will not return a pet once it had been surrendered.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous advice. I would add that it might be important for her if you make it clear to the shelter that she was a good kitty and only had an anxiety episode triggered by what you think was fear but that you have started wondering if you should have gotten a vet check. Perhaps they would be more inclined to go with you getting a vet check. If she stays with the shelter, you might ask for someone experienced to work to help her over any fears. I wish for everything good for you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i dont know what to do. ive been crying since yesterday, im tired of feeling like this. the shelter said i can re claim her. im just so scared that with everything she has been through in the last 32 hours, he behavior is gonna be 10x worse. i cant stop thinking of how scared she must be.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Being surrendered is terrifying for an animal and I would hate to have her go through this more than once, so you need to be absolutely certain that you can handle her behavior. Perhaps talk with your vet to see if medication might help her before making a decision.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many cats with anxiety issues and on meds, it DOES help. If you reclaim her, you might get some calming aide treats on Amazon and try them before your vet visit. It sounds like redirected aggression to me, a cat outside, a loud noise, anything could be scaring her. if she comes at you, take her by the scruff of the neck and hold her to the ground, saying NO loudly. This quiets a cat instinctively, they become still and quiet when mama picks them up this way. She may squirm wildly and if she does, hoist her front feet off the ground. NEVER pick up the cat from the ground so all four feet are off, that may injure her. You must hold on firmly and do it EVERY time, and say no, she comes at you for it to be effective. She knows now she can attack you and that cannot go on. This is a radical approach, but as a last resort it does work. I wish you well and pray this can be resolved......Please try everything you can first so you can set your mind at ease......

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little late to the thread. Sorry for that. I agree with the vet check. My Charlie can be a bit aggressive and then one day he attacked a friend of mine for no reason. Turns out he had a UTI with no symptoms other than that. He would often bite my legs and such - sometimes not to nice a way. Like ouch. I found if he was bored, or hungry were the time's it happened most - and extra play time when he started misbehaving helped a lot.

He also is very territorial and dominate so other cats outside stress him. So I distract him with play. He probably has a screw loose too sadly.

XOXOXOXO to you. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. You are doing the best you can. XOXOXOXOX

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update:
i'm getting her back today. she has an appt on the 9th. until then i will give gabapentin everyday and locked in a cage. right now i dont trust her.after the vet some and some time with whatever meds the vet wants her to be then we can do baby steps to get her out of the cage.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember too that we are here too for a shoulder and support. Slow and steady. You two can do this.

I've had nothing but great help here and I'm sure you have and will too XOXOXOX

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you all!
shes calmed down. now wants me to be there next to her giving her attention. which is good. but she is determine to get out of her cage and is meowing all the time. hardly slept last night cause of that and i live in a studio so i cant put her in another room. any ideas to stop this? shes getting a dog playpen tomorrow and will add a cover so she wont jump out.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this will be baby steps. One day at a time. Remembers she's been at a place in cage for a bit now with other cats, strange smells, strange people etc so she's probably a bit stressed.

I'm not the greatest with behavior issues but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that has some experience.