Guilt after going out of town

coriejo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. So, my Henry is only six months old. He’s super sweet and loving. Well, I’m currently out of town, 650 miles to be exact. I also have 2 dogs. I’ve boarded both dogs but left Henry at home. My neighbor is checking on him twice a day for me since he eats canned food. Anyway, long story short, I have a Furbo which is a pet specific security camera. I’ve checked on him multiple times and he’s always walking around, meowing. It breaks my heart. How do you guys handle the guilt! I’m gone for 6 days for college classes and it’s been super hard being away from him and the dogs and it’s only day one!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I share your pain. :hugs: I don't travel often but when I do I worry constantly about my pet(s). Do you know how much time your neighbor is spending with your cat? Is he/she playing with him or just feeding him, checking the litter box and leaving? I'm sure he misses you but honestly you will be home soon and the reunion will be wonderful. Thinking of you and your kitten.:heartshape:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m traveling a lot and I don’t think I could handle the guilt if I had only one cat. I have two and when I’m checking on them through the camera they either sleep or play. But they’re also older, more than 2yo.

If he’s used to the company, it’s no wonder it’s hard on him now. Is there any chance you could have someone in your house with your dogs and a kitten rather than to board them? Sometimes rates for overnight stays are not that higher than boarding.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think any of us like leaving are cat's. I went away for 10days left my boy's at home with my hubby and 17year old son. I still felt guilty and the only difference was I wasn't there :dunno: To be honest I missed the cat's most :lol: but they were fine and yours will be too.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last semester, I had 3 trips between 3-5 days and found students I trusted and paid them $20/day and encouraged them to stay at my place during the day, with the requirement they slept over night. My Isabelle had anxiety while I was gone despite this and started pulling out her hair during these times. (Vet couldn't find anything wrong and ruled it stress as well.) I adopted 2 kitties this semester since I know it has been hard on Isabelle just being us this past year since moving away for school. It has been a couple months, and while Isabelle is still getting used to the kittens, she seems less anxious/bored. Have not tried had any trips since getting them, so not sure how she will be without me now, but hoping the kittens will help.

When I was in the dorms my first semester last year (no roommate), and Isabelle started getting bored, I would spread her dry food out (she gets wet plus some dry) or treats on her cat tree, on the bed, in tunnels, etc., and it would help provide enrichment as she'd have to walk around the room and sniff treats out. I also rearranged her cat tunnels, boxes, towels she slept on, and sometimes the dorm furniture weekly to give her stimulation and something new to explore. Her toys were also rotated, and I played with her twice a day either with one of her string toys or tossing her mice for her. She has also started to pull her hair towards the end of the semester, and increasing play time/attention and keeping up with rotating toys/furniture reduced and eliminated her hair pulling.

Having a bird feeder has also helped provide entertainment now that I'm off campus. Can a bird feeder be set up outside one of the windows as entertainment?

Also, thinking of what my kitties like and how they get so excited with new items, is there a cardboard box or something your neighbor can bring for your kitty to explore?

But like the others have said, you're kitty will probably be fine. It's hard leaving our furballs while being out of town. Best of luck. You're kitty is super cute, btw.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone on several trips, on as long as 15 days. I had somebody come over to look after the cats and they were none the worse for the wear. In fact, one of my cats who was skittish about the cat sitter (one of the contractors who had been doing work on and off for a while around here) became friends with him and his daughter. Your kitty won't have any problem, I'm sure.

The only problem we ever had was when my mom and dad took a five week vacation when they retired. I cat-sat for their two cats and one of them started pooping in the bathtub. That behavior stopped as soon as they got home. Never did figure out which one of them was doing it.