Guidance with a semi-feral please!

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and happy I found it!

I've been feeding nightly a semi-feral cat that has been coming to the entryway of the building where I leave probably since last fall. With time and patience I've managed to get her to be able to sit on the ground and have her eat right next to me. She is just very scaredy. I was finally able to trap her using a humane trap.

The first two days I was able to pet her, put a flea and tick collar on her (without any struggles or issues) and she even meowed while I petter her, which amazed me as I had no idea she would meow. Unfortunately, after that she has been really skittish and I'm no longer able to touch her. She still eats from my hand but, today, after she ate ate the food in my hand she swatted at it. She does enjoy being petted on the head and really relaxes while being pet, but now I can only pet her with a stick. She's currently in the bathroom as I have two other cats and haven't had a chance to take her to the vet as of yet, that will be happening this upcoming week.

I've had cats all my life, but I'm new to rescuing and socializing a semi feral cat, so suggestions and tips are welcome. I have order two of the Jackson Galaxy formulas hoping that it will help her adjust. Thanks for your time and help.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Welcome to TCS, and thank you for rescuing a kitty! As she is skittish, maybe try sitting in the bathroom silently, or reading aloud to her so that she gets used to your voice. Don't force her to come to you; She'll come to you when she's ready.
Here are some great articles linked:
Saving Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Handling Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! I've been spending time sitting with her as you say and she is used to my voice, will continue to do so. Will read through the articles shared. Thanks again

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Welcome to TCS, and thank you for rescuing a kitty! As she is skittish, maybe try sitting in the bathroom silently, or reading aloud to her so that she gets used to your voice. Don't force her to come to you; She'll come to you when she's ready.
Here are some great articles linked:
Saving Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Handling Feral Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Good luck!
Thank you!! I've been spending time sitting with her as you say and she is used to my voice, will continue to do so. Will read through the articles shared. Thanks again

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing the kitty! She is just kinda freaked out right now. You have an extra challenge with other cats in the home but all will work out. Make sure she is eating out of a cat bowl from now on no more hand feeding . Keeping her in the bathroom right now is fine. She and the others will need time to settle in. Extra litter boxes in the home will also be a plus. I volunteer at a shelter and using a toothbrush helps cats with getting pet. It reminds them of Moms tongue. The vet will be able to help you with getting medical taken care of. Have them clip her nails for you ! My first cat was also semi feral intact male,so I’ll be glad to help with the training tips. Let her chill for a few days. The timeline I use is 3days to allow her to calm down. 3 weeks to feel settled in a new home and 3 months to feel totally bonded to a new family. This might take a while. Tiger got to the point of walking on his leash, getting bathed, teeth brushed etc, so have faith! Getting her spayed if she’s not is step#1.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having her appear to regress is actually a good thing because it may mean her confidence is returning. She may have been more submissive due to being in a new place and knowing you were her link to survival but now she is getting a little feisty. It’s all okay and all normal. Petting with a stick is fine. You can use a soft brush or anything that is okay to her. Patience is key. Food is a great tool. Sitting with her is excellent. You can try moving the food closer to you as you sit with her. Some people find soft music helps. There is music specifically for cats online. I find that laying on the floor, belly up, is a good way to show her that you are demonstrating trust. Let her be the one to explore you. Keep hand feeding as you can. A toy on a string may lead her closer to you. A wand toy can be good for that and as a stick for petting. Dragging the toy is the way I start so that I don’t scare the kitty but some like the toy to make movements more like a bird. Every cat is different but she will let you know what she likes or does not like. Leaving a shirt or something that holds your scent with her can help. Later you can scent swap with your other cats too. As she adjusts to her new environment, you will see changes. A bit of back and forth is expected but you have already passed the greatest hurdle by earning her trust outside. Bravo! You are a lifesaver and a hero. She knows that and will love you with devotion for it. Thank you for saving her. If everyone did what you have done, no cat would ever be without help again. Please do keep us updated! We love rescues and rescuers! We’d like to hear about the other kitties too! :welcomesign::clap2:

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having her appear to regress is actually a good thing because it may mean her confidence is returning. She may have been more submissive due to being in a new place and knowing you were her link to survival but now she is getting a little feisty. It’s all okay and all normal. Petting with a stick is fine. You can use a soft brush or anything that is okay to her. Patience is key. Food is a great tool. Sitting with her is excellent. You can try moving the food closer to you as you sit with her. Some people find soft music helps. There is music specifically for cats online. I find that laying on the floor, belly up, is a good way to show her that you are demonstrating trust. Let her be the one to explore you. Keep hand feeding as you can. A toy on a string may lead her closer to you. A wand toy can be good for that and as a stick for petting. Dragging the toy is the way I start so that I don’t scare the kitty but some like the toy to make movements more like a bird. Every cat is different but she will let you know what she likes or does not like. Leaving a shirt or something that holds your scent with her can help. Later you can scent swap with your other cats too. As she adjusts to her new environment, you will see changes. A bit of back and forth is expected but you have already passed the greatest hurdle by earning her trust outside. Bravo! You are a lifesaver and a hero. She knows that and will love you with devotion for it. Thank you for saving her. If everyone did what you have done, no cat would ever be without help again. Please do keep us updated! We love rescues and rescuers! We’d like to hear about the other kitties too! :welcomesign::clap2:
Good points!

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I totally forgot about just sitting with them! Fluffy who was about 12-14 weeks old. She sat under the chair for a day or two and I just slept in the same room. When I volunteer I almost prefer to see a cat with a little bit of sass then one who is just petrified. The ones who are so frozen with fear breaks my heart.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A AmyFluffyMom Using a toothbrush to imitate mom cat licks is great! I was just helping someone with a cat that a rescue had turned over to them. The cat had stopped functioning after injuries and fear. Treating this kitty with the “mom cat” tips brought him back. Besides using the cat lick method I suggested laying curled near or around the kitty but letting the cat decide whether or not to make physical contact. It could hear the human heartbeat and did lay against the human. There were other things we came up with but the Mom cat method works well with cats frozen in fear. (The cat mentioned is now recovered and cuddling voluntarily) There are stuffed cat toys that have a heartbeat mechanism and I recently used that with a frightened rescue. It really helped. I love your toothbrush suggestion! Affection in kitty language works wonders.

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing the kitty! She is just kinda freaked out right now. You have an extra challenge with other cats in the home but all will work out. Make sure she is eating out of a cat bowl from now on no more hand feeding . Keeping her in the bathroom right now is fine. She and the others will need time to settle in. Extra litter boxes in the home will also be a plus. I volunteer at a shelter and using a toothbrush helps cats with getting pet. It reminds them of Moms tongue. The vet will be able to help you with getting medical taken care of. Have them clip her nails for you ! My first cat was also semi feral intact male,so I’ll be glad to help with the training tips. Let her chill for a few days. The timeline I use is 3days to allow her to calm down. 3 weeks to feel settled in a new home and 3 months to feel totally bonded to a new family. This might take a while. Tiger got to the point of walking on his leash, getting bathed, teeth brushed etc, so have faith! Getting her spayed if she’s not is step#1.
Thanks for taking the time to read through my request and share your tips. Your story surely gives me hope! 🙏

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for such kind words and for sharing your experience and knowledge. It is great to learn that her regressing is normal as I was a bit worried about that. I have been moving the food closer to me and she actually comes out to eat it. She actually got out of her spot and moved to the other while I was in the room and she wasn't rushing or acting crazy, just moved out looked around, took a stretch and settled in her other nook. It was pretty amazing to see her more calmed. Today, for the first time, she began showing a tiny bit of interest in a string toy I had been trying with her. No playing or anything, but she definitely seemed curious and interested. I was thinking about the shirt thing, so will definitely do that!! Your words are reassuring as it seems we are moving in the right direction.

PS: that's her in the attached photo

Attachments

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A AmyFluffyMom Using a toothbrush to imitate mom cat licks is great! I was just helping someone with a cat that a rescue had turned over to them. The cat had stopped functioning after injuries and fear. Treating this kitty with the “mom cat” tips brought him back. Besides using the cat lick method I suggested laying curled near or around the kitty but letting the cat decide whether or not to make physical contact. It could hear the human heartbeat and did lay against the human. There were other things we came up with but the Mom cat method works well with cats frozen in fear. (The cat mentioned is now recovered and cuddling voluntarily) There are stuffed cat toys that have a heartbeat mechanism and I recently used that with a frightened rescue. It really helped. I love your toothbrush suggestion! Affection in kitty language works wonders.
So many amazing tips. Thank you!

Cat mom of 4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued one last year in October from the back yard after feeding her and the mother cat for a few weeks. The mother cat left her and I went out one day to feed her and just scruffed her and brought her inside. She was 12 weeks old by VET estimation and at first would allow you to hold her and would sit in your lap. Once she was inside the house (she started out in a very large cage in our extra room as we did not know if she would litter box train etc and for safety)she ran under my bed and stayed there only coming out to eat and go to the litter box. She did that for nearly a month and slowly she started to come out into the kitchen and then the rest of the house. She had a bad experience with her spay as she got a seroma and was back and forth to the the VET during that next month. She eventually after about 2 months would let you sit and rub her in certain places like a perch or a certain chair. She still cannot stand to be picked up and held though even 10 months later. She will come to me and sit in my lap and love on me and purr like crazy, she meows and talks to me. Her favorite is sitting on the counter and getting rubs while she purrs and chats to me head butting my hands for more attention. So it might take months and months for some but eventually with love and attention they will come around. You might not have a lap cat but you will have a grateful and loving kitty in the end. Good luck and lots of happy thoughts.

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

It's been a while, but I want to thank you all again and share the progress we've made so far. The toothbrush trick was the best!! I had to attach it to a longer stick as she was terrified of hands and would swat at me, but she absolutely LOVED being brushed with the toothbrush. I slowly decreased the length of the handle until hands were very close and eventually just let her approach my hands. She loves being pet in her own terms, but we are making progress every day even if it is slowly. She was taken to the vet and she is healthy, only had to get a tooth cleaning and antibiotics for gingivitis. After three weeks or so, she purred for the first time!!! Since then she has been residing in my bedroom which she has made her "domain". She loves to play and even hops on the bed while I'm there, even if she stays just at the end of the bed and doesn't come close to me. Everyday she gains more confidence and gets a little more comfortable. She has also been introduced to the resident cats, and though they are still not friendly, they are getting accustomed to each other's presence. The boys seem pretty chill, but she is still a bit on edge. Specially since she is still not comfortable getting outside of the bedroom and exploring the apartment, so she probably feels a little threatened when they come in to "her space". She does come out at times, but not often and she is still very scared, but has been doing it more often in the past few days.There are still hisses when they get close to each other, but not real aggression. I can even get two of them pretty close if I bribe them with their favorite treats.

As of now, she makes a little noise when I go into the bedroom and comes out of her box and gets closer to me, even if takes her a bit to settle and enjoying being petted. So I guess she's kind of starting to like me. She loves being petted, but still sometimes gets scared when she sees the hands or myself so close and freaks out and swats, but quickly settles back and continues enjoying the petting. She also enjoys watching "cat tv" on the computer. I'm confident to say she has been adapting well and I no longer feel like I'm depriving her of her freedom as she hasn't show any indications of wanting to get out, but the opposite, it seems she actually enjoys being here.

As you all know better than me, it is a process and we still have ways to go, but progress is being made little by little, day by day.

Thanks again for the support and tips shared!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s fantastic to hear! You have made a lot of progress and she is showing her gratitude and trust to the human who has saved her. She is learning what it is like to be safe and happy thanks to you! :clap2::goldstar:

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for such kind words and for sharing your experience and knowledge. It is great to learn that her regressing is normal as I was a bit worried about that. I have been moving the food closer to me and she actually comes out to eat it. She actually got out of her spot and moved to the other while I was in the room and she wasn't rushing or acting crazy, just moved out looked around, took a stretch and settled in her other nook. It was pretty amazing to see her more calmed. Today, for the first time, she began showing a tiny bit of interest in a string toy I had been trying with her. No playing or anything, but she definitely seemed curious and interested. I was thinking about the shirt thing, so will definitely do that!! Your words are reassuring as it seems we are moving in the right direction.

PS: that's her in the attached photo
So beautiful, I’m so glad to hear about the great progress.