Grumpy Cat

Paperclip75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was hoping I could upload a video to get people's take, but doesn't seem like that's an option? I posted a while back about my two cats not really getting along. Boy cat had his oral surgery and has been good since - no pouncing/biting (well, almost none. There's still some but it's clear play behaviour). But girl cat has gotten even more grumpy with him.

It's totally sporadic, but for several hours each day (not necessarily in a row), she will growl or hiss whenever he gets near. Or purposefully (it seems) trot past him in order to growl or hiss. Sometimes it's a normal growl, sometimes it's her more angry/threatening yowly growl. And often it's accompanied by a charge-and-swat at boy cat's face.

At other points in the day, she will walk past him totally calmly. They still eat right beside each other. They play a bit, although this is more rare. 9/10 she does her growl and swat and he thinks it's play time and pounces or chases, and she gets REALLY snarly and that's the end of that.

Thoughts? Are they not getting enough attention? Play with me time? I have been really busy with online work and then just crashing when not working.

Another factor might be that I started leash training. Girl cat mostly. She loves it. She is definitely more energized and growly right after we come in, and I often have to put her in the bedroom for a while until she chills out a bit. BUT this behaviour did start before we began leash training. So... shrug.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommend giving a Felliway plug-in a try. It sounds like it could be a territorial thing and Felliway should help calm her down.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paperclip75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the video help...I think this worked? Anyway, this is a short clip of her swatting at him, and you can hear her grumpy growl at the end (sorry for the mess and noisy tv)

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... not really sure. It's quite short, and your other cat barely reacts.

Paperclip75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's just like that , just over and over, most of the time. Like she went out of the room for a while and then came back and did the same again. Looking at the "are they fighting or playing" page...usually when they "fight" they're somewhere in the middle of the two examples shown

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually we say as long as there isn't any blood, fur flying, or that one cat doesn't seem stressed, things are probably ok. Does your male cat ever respond to the "attacks".

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are territorial by nature and female cats are the alpha of the group. Therefore the process of getting everyone adjusted requires time and patience.
Consider re-introducing them using the following steps:
Smell: Let them get acquainted with the smell. Try rubbing all cats with the same towel or sock to mix their scent (their face is where the strongest scent is). Exchange their toys.
Noise: Get them used to hearing each other's movements, meows, etc. Play with and feed both parties near the door so they can hear each other and associate the foreign noise with something positive.
Sight: Once they stop hissing and growling at the door, try a face-to-face. Toys usually are a good distraction and hopefully everyone is up for playtime. If the hissing and growling returns, go back to the first two and try again in a few days
During this time period, it is important for both sides to feel that they have a safe place.
I wish you good luck.

Paperclip75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The issue is it’s not all the time. They’ve had forced isolation for a week because Boy Cat is recovering from surgery now. Yesterday and today they had a few moments of sniffing and seemed fine. Boy cat tried to curl up and sleep on Girl cat and she got up and left but wasn’t snarly about it.