Growth under skin

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else ever seen this? We first discovered this on Scooter last April and I can't remember now what it was called, but supposedly was nothing to worry about. It was about the size of an English pea then. Seems that it has grown since then so I'm going to take her to the vet next week. Just wondering if anyone had ever seen this before. It is on her back left leg. It does not bother her for us to touch it. She does not lick or bite at it or really pay any attention to it at all.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue what that is. Be sure to update us!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It concerns me that no one else has seen anything like this. We're going back to the vet this evening. I think that I feel a little bump on her other back foot. No hair loss and again, doesn't seem to bother her at all. I could just be a little paranoid, but we'll have that checked too. Prayers, please!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Rosie went to the vet with a lump in February. Hers was because of her microchip, but l remember my vet saying that in torties lumps were a common thing. How true this is l don't know, but hopefully it's nothing.

Let us know what the vet say's?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like it could be Eosineophillic plaque, similar to a granuloma which can be caused by a reaction to a flea or other insect type bite, food allergy or allergy to something in the environment. Max (pictured) gets rodent ulcers (a similar condition) occasionally which is an auto-immune disorder. My response is to apply a compress of salted water which usually reduces the inflammation and it goes away. To prevent future episodes, I am currently giving him L-Lysine.

A growth that is increasing in size is something to have checked out. I would definitely go back to your vet or maybe get a second opinion elsewhere.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet I was scheduled to see went into labor this morning.
 So, our visit has been postponed until tomorrow (with another vet, of course).

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter does not pay any attention to this thing. It doesn't itch, hurt or anything. Do the rodent ulcers seem to bother Max?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, the lesions on Max show up around his mouth area, sometimes under the skin behind his whisker area  while others become raised bumps on his bottom lips which are sensitive to touch. Max was a tap drinker until recently when we stopped this as he was getting nasty sores at the corner of his mouth. Of the three cats we have, Max is the only one who gets these lesions. The good thing is they always go away after applying the compress.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

For the most part, the lesions on Max show up around his mouth area, sometimes under the skin behind his whisker area  while others become raised bumps on his bottom lips which are sensitive to touch. Max was a tap drinker until recently when we stopped this as he was getting nasty sores at the corner of his mouth. Of the three cats we have, Max is the only one who gets these lesions. The good thing is they always go away after applying the compress.
Did drinking from the tap cause the sores or just exacerbate them because of the tongue motion? Years and years ago my Brillo
 was getting bumps, blister looking things if I remember correctly, around her mouth and on her lip. The vet told us to quit using plastic dishes, and that solved her problem. We've never used another plastic dish so I don't know if any of the others would have the same problem or not. I wish all of their problems were that easy to solve.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter saw the vet today. He still was not concerned about malignancy, but, we are going to have the tumor removed as a preventative measure.

I do think it has grown and if it continues to do so I'm worried that sooner or later it's going to get injured, burst, or cause discomfort. The vet feels that it's better to prevent anything happening to it by removing it than try to treat it if it does rupture. The only real concern about the procedure is the location because there is no loose skin there so keeping the wound closed could be a problem.  She's 10 years old, so they did a full blood panel and if everything comes back ok we'll get the tumor removed in Jan.

She was such a good girl at the vet today!    

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww your babies are so cute and how sweet of her to clean her sister.  Glad to hear the vet doesn't think it's malignant and good luck with the operation.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such good news that the lump is not thought to be malignant and that your kitty had a good visit with the vet , Susan. Your girls are beautiful and so loving.

Re. the sores from drinking out of the tap, yes, I believe they were caused for the most part from Max licking the side of the spout which isn't always the cleanest of clean. Plus its an older tap. We had the issues you speak of on account of using newer plastic dishes, so switched to glass and ceramic. The rodent ulcers however I think are caused by something else, just not sure what at this point.

Best of luck with the blood results and upcoming surgery!

Last edited:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your well wishes. We should get the blood test results tomorrow and hopefully all will be well. They can send the tumor off for biopsy and at first I planned on doing that. But it's an added cost so I'm not sure that I will. Unless the vet feels there's any possibility it's cancer I don't see the point.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter will be having surgery to remove the growth on Friday and we'd both be thankful for prayers. She will more than likely have to wear an e-collar for a week, poor little girl. I did a search on TCS for alternatives to the e-collar, but didn't see anything that would work with where this incision will be. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. I was wondering if getting her a soft one would be a good idea? I thought it might be easier to take on and off,  to give her periodic relief. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will keep Scooter in my thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome and quick healing.  I have used the soft ecollars before but the cat was able to get to it's incision.  If it was anywhere else I'd suggest a onesie, you could maybe try a baby sock or something over the foot?

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info @cprcheetah about the soft e-collar, I won't waste the money or stress on it. I was wondering about a sock. Maybe wrap some of that vet tape stuff that only sticks to itself around the top? Seems like it wouldn't hurt to give it a try anyway.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter had her surgery yesterday and did very well. She had a bumpy evening but just because of the dopiness from the anesthesia and pain medication, plus the distress of the cone. Last night, she was so freaked out by the cone she kept trying to run away from it. Poor little girl even tried to jump up on the kitchen counter. Of course she didn't make it, but thankfully stitches are still intact.

I'm glad to say that she is acting more relaxed today.

She did eat a little canned food soup last night and this morning, but hasn't drank (drunk? I never can keep that straight) any plain water yet.

My poor little Scooter. I told her that she's so pretty she even makes that cone look good. She has to wear the cone for 10 days
, but I've not told her that yet. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww that is sweet. Glad to hear that everything went well with the surgery! Scooter does look good in the collar .. Good thinking about not telling her how long she has to wear it though! :)

Maggie my little female had just been spayed when we adopted her and Max from our local shelter 7 years ago. She wouldn't leave her incision alone and so we picked up a cone from the shelter which proved to be quite awkward for her. Fortunately the incision healed well and quickly and so she wasn't wearing it for too long.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor little sweetheart.  My kitty just had a dental done and some teeth pulled it took her a day or two to get back to normal.  Your kitty is so beautiful and yes she makes the cone look good :)

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you @oneandahalfcats  and @cprcheetah  , I will pass the compliments along to Scooter
. Scooter would agree with Maggie about the awkwardness. She's still freaked by the ecollar and has madly run from one end of the house to the other once today. Otherwise she just lays on a bed. She's not eating or drinking as I'd like and I'm about to try feeding her again. If she won't eat we'll have to take the ecollar off again to see if she'll eat then hope we can get it back on without too much trouble.