Grown Cat Likes Kitten Food

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, what, exactly is the difference in kitten dry food, other than the size of the kibble? While my cat eats mostly wet food, I like to supplement with dry food (one reason being that if we occasionally have to be gone for a day, I know I can leave dry food and she'll be alright.) But the only thing is that she won't touch ANY dry food I've tried except Acana kitten chow and this she gobbles up like it's cat treats. What makes this taste so good, compared to kibble meant for adult cats? Is there some nutritional reason an adult cat shouldn't be eating kitten chow?

(My first cat here, and I'm discovering just how finicky felines can be!)

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the caretakers of the finicky feline club! I inquired with my vet on a similar issue, and he said it was all right to keep supplying him with kitten food as long as he wasn't getting fat! My question was on wet food (Instinct Kitten chicken vs adult chicken) though, so I'm not sure whether that makes any difference!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, what, exactly is the difference in kitten dry food, other than the size of the kibble?
It usually has a higher fat and protein and other nutritional content because growing kittens need all that extra nutrition for growth. Maybe the higher fat makes the dry food especially yummy, kind of how a juicy burger is more appealing to many people than a boring green salad. All dry foods are coated in animal digest or other flavoring to make the food taste good. You may be able to just use toppers on regular adult food to make it more appealing.

An occasional meal of kitten food won't hurt an adult cat.

Canned food can be left out al day if you need to be away for a day. It's a cooked product. You can use a programmable timed feeder to provide meals at the usual meal times. Food straight from the can goes into the tray(s) or freeze the food into portion sizes and pop the frozen block into the feeder to slowly defrost.