Growling Cat Play?

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this normal behaviour. Now we have 4 cats I was playing with a wand toy and they broke it. This is the 3rd one they've destroyed in as many days. So I had to use it holding the string in my hand and I discovered that Ollie (the new kitten) and Charlie are still going crazy and growl when they get the toy. Then they run off with it. I waved it near Archie and they knocked him over. Swung it over Milo who is the biggest kitten at 8 months and both 4 month boys jumped all over him and while those two are battling for the toy Milo turns and hides. I find this funny as normally he is trying to dominate them. Any way the two middle kittens are wrecking toys and growling and have the most energy out of all our kittens.

Is this normal behaviour and any advice on what I can do to play with the kittens that won't cause this crazy behaviour - swing it at a plastic box or sofa and they will smash into it they are so intense! I really need some stronger toys as they've destroyed all cat teasers and wands in the house. These are all British Shorthair Kittens who are normally good natured.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess so. It's the crazy exuberance of our kittens. I'm glad we added Ollie recently as Archie the youngest is lazy but will jump on a bigger cat or hit them then run but always rolls over when they charge him. Milo is a quite vocal but also calm 8 month who rarely plays but likes to dominate and rule the roost. Charlie was quite bored so now he has a buddy to chase around and wear himself out so I can be a bad cat parent and spend more time watching them than playing as I enjoy seeing the social interaction and dynamics.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess so. It's the crazy exuberance of our kittens. I'm glad we added Ollie recently as Archie the youngest is lazy but will jump on a bigger cat or hit them then run but always rolls over when they charge him. Milo is a quite vocal but also calm 8 month who rarely plays but likes to dominate and rule the roost. Charlie was quite bored so now he has a buddy to chase around and wear himself out so I can be a bad cat parent and spend more time watching them than playing as I enjoy seeing the social interaction and dynamics.
I have had this wand toy since January 2018. My cat is very active with it
I have wand toys that fell apart but I use duct tape

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The Go Cat Catcher does not last as long but the toy mouse on the end does not come off

Cool cyber cats has good replacement parts

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had this wand toy since January 2018. My cat is very active with it
I have wand toys that fell apart but I use duct tape
Thanks I've ordered this one on Amazon Global so may take awhile to get here.

The Go Cat Catcher does not last as long but the toy mouse on the end does not come off

Cool cyber cats has good replacement parts
Ordered this via Prime and another that had a kitten in the picture that looked like our boys so hopefully will stand up to them. Even at only 4 months they are incredibly strong and snapped the metal links on some of the wands!

Hoping these will do the trick!

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
£37.23 :bawling: says the 2 UK products will arrive on Easter Monday. I'm not sure I believe them.

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go Cat Catcher is a success in so much as it survives but it's the Ring of Mordor. Every cat wants it and when they get it they go crazy growling, hissing, won't let the mouse out of their mouth and crawling around with it. I've put food out but the one who has the toy won't stop his aggression towards the "mouse!. Looks like I need to buy several of these!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they love it! Luckily my cat will let me grab it out of her mouth after many tries of pulling without biting me

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a lovely cat :lovecat2: She looks like she has lots of toys and probably keeps you busy!

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's normal. It might even be a good thing because they believe the toy to be an actual prey. When they have an actual prey in their mouths, they growl if you try to take the prey away. So pretty much they just feel convinced that the prey is a prey.

Here's a video of my cat growling with her toy -

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's normal. It might even be a good thing because they believe the toy to be an actual prey. When they have an actual prey in their mouths, they growl if you try to take the prey away. So pretty much they just feel convinced that the prey is a prey.

Here's a video of my cat growling with her toy -
Very cute! Is that puzzle toy something you made or bought? My cat Maggie still plays with hers but since she's older the holes are too small. She got her paw stuck in once trying to get a toy out

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very cute! Is that puzzle toy something you made or bought? My cat Maggie still plays with hers but since she's older the holes are too small. She got her paw stuck in once trying to get a toy out
I used to make them but I decided why not just buy a quality one and if that one breaks down at least I know how to recreate another one just like it.

The box itself is for treats than toys but she does try to drop her toys in there pretty often.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The growling is normal. One of the kittens loves to grab a rabbit fur poof ball or rabbit fur critter in his mouth abd then growls really loud (like catch me if you can.) I named it kitten soccer back when they only had rabbit poof balls. My boy kitten even learned to do the growling play from his brother. :rolleyes: The number of exact same toys they have doesn’t matter since it is a ‘catch me’ game.

To quote Jackson Galaxy “if they destroy it, they live it!” The bird seems hard to kill. Pet fit 4 life pole toys are pretty sturdy and you just unhook the old toy and clip on a new toy (though I had to duct tape the two pieces of the pole together so they would quit pulling on the toy/string so hard that they pulled the top half of the pull out and dragged the whole thing behind them.)

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I experimented with each cat individually and three of them became full on predatory with the toys and the youngest and smallest just half heartedly batted it with his paws. He also eats a lot so lazy and greedy he might one day be a fat cat!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK it should be “if they destroy it, they love it” it is so true! Cats destroy the toys they love the most ..... it is how you know what to buy more of.

Maybe he will be a fat cat or maybe hasn’t found the right toy or play style yet. I’m remembering one ‘my cat from hell episode’ where the only way he could get the cat to exercise by jumping/climbing to the top of his cat tree and through his exercise ‘obstacle course’ was with food. :redtabby: Perhaps that will be your cat one day.